Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
WDW

Propane mystery

In anticipation of some very chilly nights coming up and not wanting to use up my onboard propane, I had my local LP dealer make up a hose to use with a fresh 20 pound tank through my long-term stay connector. I have never used this hook up before, but I have used the other connection to power my flat top Grill.

However, after hooking it up and purging the lines by burning gas off through the stove, after a very short period of time the flame dies out. I rechecked all my connections and make sure that everything was properly seated and attempted to purge the line a second time. Again, the flame on the stove went out after less than a minute. I find that when I turn the stove back off and let it sit for several minutes it would appear that the line recharges and in turn will light burn off until it “runs out of gas”. I don’t have the same problem drawing propane from my onboard tank. That’s the mystery.

Is the pressure on a 20 pound portable tank of that much less than the onboard tank?

Any ideas?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

Are you familiar with what a propane spud is? These are the male tip that goes into a propane connection and just about every one used on an RV has a flow limiter in it. This includes the plastic hand wheel connection that attaches a line to a picnic 20 or 30# bottle. These fittings tend to malfunction and lock up at the worst of times. I've solved my problem with these by drilling each spud tip and removing each spring and small ball. Of course, when you drill these out you are then solely responsible for making good connections when you hook things up. No more idiot proofing.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #3

The pressure in a 20 lb Tank is the same as your on board Tank. Pressure is not your problem, volume is. Look for some blockage, spud, or regulator probably.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Shut off the portable tank, open the stove valve, shut off the stove valve, and then very slowly crack open the portable tank valve.

See if that helps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #5

Sorry for off topic.
I'm assuming wdw is for Disney world.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
WDW

YEP! DVC, AP, April ‘71 first visit before MK opened @ Preview center. MK 1-1-72.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Shut off the portable tank, open the stove valve, shut off the stove valve, and then very slowly crack open the portable tank valve.

See if that helps.

This is making sense that somewhere there’s a burp in the line???
Old 04-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
This is making sense that somewhere there’s a burp in the line???

Inside the hose connection to the 20# propane cylinder is an Excess Flow Device'
Should a leak occur downstream the 'ball valve' trips to limit the flow of propane

Opening the cylinder service valve too quickly can trip the ball valve due to imbalance in downstream and upstream pressure.

Drilling it out is NOT advisable....it is a safety feature that is part of the overall safety design features of the propane system.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #9

Are you turning the main tank off?
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

The only time I’ve used my extend-a-stay was when my main tank was empty and it worked fine with a 20# tank. Mine is plumbed in between the main tank and the regulator.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
YEP! DVC, AP, April ‘71 first visit before MK opened @ Preview center. MK 1-1-72.
Nice.
AP, DVC-akl for me
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #12
WDW

Yes Main tank is off.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #13

Plus one on you tripped high flow.My upgraded propane hoses on TT the high flow seals swelled from residual oil ....drove me nuts forgot they were. Ever here of Viton manufacturer. I drilled them out.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Plus one on you tripped high flow.My upgraded propane hoses on TT the high flow seals swelled from residual oil ....drove me nuts forgot they were. Ever here of Viton manufacturer. I drilled them out.
Yep. One in the system at the tank tap is reasonable, but one in every LP hose end and connection and in the "stay-a-while" is ridiculous. Just another case of the government knows best and everything has to be designed so the biggest idiot can't screw it up. Where did I put the drill?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane