Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #29
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane not working ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer402 View Post
You guys are great - thanks for the support!
Mel, that valve is under the RV and no one has touched that to our knowledge during any of this fiasco so I think that's not likely the issue, correct?
RVer402
If I'm not mistaken, the shutoff valve on a RV propane tank is always supposed to be SHUT OFF while the tank is being filled.
Did the "propane pump jockey" it your last fill-up turn it off?..(I believe he should have)!...
They've always closed mine... (but they've NOT always opened it again).

If he did, and did not turn it back on, (or if he opened to fast), could that be your problem?

Good luck and please let us know when you solve the puzzle.
Thanks

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (mine since '01)

Old 11-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Okay - got it. Needless to say, the stress is building. Can't begin to say how much I appreciate your input and efforts to help along with all others. Hubby on phone now with a local guy exploring. If anything else comes to mind feel free to share. I will definitely post when it's resolved.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #32
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Guessing will not troubleshoot the problem. Start by shutting off the tank valve and loosening the regulator. Then SLOWLY turn the tank valve back on to see if you have propane flow there. If so, then close the valve, tighten the regulator and now loosen the fitting coming out of the regulator. Again turn on the tank and see if you have flow there. If so, then move onto any shutdown solenoid and see if you have flow after that etc. Proceed methodically and you will arrive at the problem.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Mel, thanks - hubby did check that a little while ago as Rkh said just to be sure.

Thanks so much though. I will definitely post when resolved. We have had nothing but problems since we picked this thing up. Starting to wonder... Thanks to all of you and if other things come to mind don't hesitate to say. This community is awesome! Much, much appreciated.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Larry, Will pass that on to hubby. Thanks so much! He is on line now with an RV tech locally who is walking him through some stuff.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
cannot get to the regulator as it is in a box and he doesn't have the proper tools to get into that box. (We are learning quick about how many tools we need! ) Tech suggested using hair dryer to blow on regulator in case some moisture has gotten in there and frozen at the cap or whatever since we picked up in cold weather and have not successfully yet outrun it. Anyway, I have volunteered to go operate hair dryer once hubby sets it up and maybe give him a chance to warm up if he will let me.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #36

Quote:
We have had nothing but problems since we picked this thing up. Starting to wonder...
As my 10 year old granddaughter says "Pop Pop, camping with you and Nana is always an adventure". So look at your coach problems as an adventure and a puzzle to be solved. Don't let it get you down.

Everyone has different levels of Shade Tree Mechanic in them. Just work the problem. I'm still betting on the gas solenoid as being the problem since all this started when you had battery problems. As has been said before, check to see if the propane detector is on. Ours is near the floor in the kitchen. If it is not on, it will not allow the propane to flow. Make sure all battery connections are clean and you have at least 12 volts inside the coach. I'm assuming you have verified there isn't any gas at the stove, Right?

Good luck and keep us posted.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Pete, Thanks for your thoughts. We can definitely use some humor about now. He has found a propane tester and pressed that with a sound resulting. Is that what you're referring to as propane detector? We do have 12 volts. Yes have verified no gas at stove.

Currently working on taking it in (not likely on Sunday afternoon, however, in addition to snowfall) and if not today in the morning. May be another cold night. Carefully reading the terms of the limited warranty to be sure we satisfy the terms.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
RVer402: Just one more thing for you to check: On my 2005 Vectra FD there are TWO (2) electronic shut-off switches. When either of them are OFF (or both) the electronic solenoid will be closed and no propane will flow.

There is a LP on/off switch on the OnePlace panel. There is a second LP switch inside the propane door (on the exterior just behind the left-front wheel) very high up and kinduv in a corner. It is for the propane station to use when filling. It is black and difficult to see (at least on my FD). No lights, no words identifying the purpose of the switch; just a lonely black, rocker switch tucked up above the nozzle where the propane is connected when filling.

Just to be safe, you should check that switch, too.

Hope that helps. Good luck ... it can't be fun.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Bumps, thanks - hubby checking that now. He said to ask if you are talking about the emergency switch but he is checking where you mentioned meanwhile.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
This is not the valve/switch that is mounted on the tank ... it is an electric switch that the propane attendant uses to shut off the flow of propane while filling. I s'pose that it could be used for emergencies, too, though.

Both the inside and outside LP switches will need to be in the ON position.

Sorry you are having struggles with it. Hang in there -- we'll figure it out!

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
You guys are great - thanks for the support!

Bigd, if 12 volt is working would that be the case? We are located in Oklahoma City currently.

Mel, that valve is under the RV and no one has touched that to our knowledge during any of this fiasco so I think that's not likely the issue, correct?
Standard practice for Pump Jockeys is to start by SHUTTING OFF THE TANK OUTLET VALVE. so odds are someone has touched it, the pump jockey.. Turning it back on is optional under the standard of practice, some leave that for the owner to do.

But before they hook up their hose they are supposed to shut off your valve.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes we have checked both outside and inside switches. We have done everything we know to do. Sounds like we will be at Camping World (we know that is an approved dealer) tomorrow or whenever roads are good enough to drive safely. Not a lot of snow - just enough to make it slick - slick roads definitely not a risk we plan to take at this point! Have good blankets that's the good news.

Tags
propane