Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

propane or gas??

hi all. have a friend that had his generator stolen out of their motor home. it was built into the chassis. they are going to replace it with a portable type. question is would you choose gas or propane? the mh. is gas engine with propane for everything else. they are willing to carry extra p. tanks.told him i would ask all the wise sages on the forum. we await with high anticipation.

the cord woods & sammy the hairy snausage.
2007 H.R with a tired Kia toad.
cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane generators really suck down the fuel and are derated from the gasoline units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GAS!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had a propane unit, used way too much fuel and was noisy. Gas will take more maintenance but if I had to choose between those two that's what I'd choose.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would choose the type of fuel that is most abundant when tanks are full.

So for my Class A that is 70 gallons of Gasoline, of which the genrator can use 3/4 or about 50-52 gallons.

V/s 27 gallons of propane, which does not pack the same punch as gasoline so I'd have less than half the run time.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

gas, just seems better all around, also more choices in generators to buy

gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Without a doubt, gas
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwood View Post
hi all. have a friend that had his generator stolen out of their motor home. it was built into the chassis.
I dare say that the thieves may have been disappointed when they found out the generator doesn't run on gas.....would serve them right.

Gasoline is the way to go.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #9

We had a propane generator in our last Trek, and it was a pain since we did lots of short term dry camping at autocross events. It was difficult to keep enough propane to run the generator and roof air for three day weekend. Now, our gas generator will drink from the 60 gallon engine fuel tank, so this is better for us regardless of any difference in fuel cost.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #10

Propane is by far the better choice-the benefits far outweigh the very small de rating, if you were able to see the inside of a propane engine side by side of a gas engine in the same application it would convince you also.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Propane is by far the better choice-the benefits far outweigh the very small de rating, if you were able to see the inside of a propane engine side by side of a gas engine in the same application it would convince you also.
You are absolutely correct. However, in most cases the LP tanks are not sized appropriately for the task.

We have a 75 gallon gas tank which will give approximately 90 hours of 1/2 load generator use before the 1/4 tank limit is reached. Note this still leaves a 100 miles of driving range for the RV.

If this was a propane, much cleaner, generator we would need at least a 75 gallon propane tank. I have never seen or heard of a RV with anywhere that large a propane tank.

If you plan on only short uses of the generator, LP is far cleaner. By short I mean 24 hours or less.

In general most RV generators use the same fuel that powers the RV, diesel generators for diesel engine RV's, gas generators for gas powered RV's. Propane is cleaner, but comes with limitations.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #12

Gas
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
It would certainly be cleaner inside, just like any engine running on LP, NG or alcohol. However, how many MHs have you seen with 5000 hrs on them? My '92 Class C in 2011 had only 580 hours. My '99 has about 1000 hours. Just because one *may* get a 1000 or more hours out of the engine, still isn't worth all the hassle that comes along with LP. Especially when your generator will most likely out last your MH.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a propane gen on my last MH, AllegroBay dp, and I have a gas onthis Allegro Bay gas. I spent over $200 on propane for the last hurricane when the power was out for four of five days and had the hassle of hooking up portable propane tanks to keep it going. If you have a gas, and a gasoline engine on the mh, you are good for a long time. (25 gal propane vs 60 gal gasoline)

Tags
gas, propane