Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Propane question

2000 Pace Arrow Vision with built in propane tank. I recently installed the extend a stay to make sure we do not go without propane during the winter. We had a lack of propane service last winter causing problems. I would like to know if opening the valve on both propane bottles would cause problems such as to high of pressure. Hope to hear from some of you in the know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I was in your position a couple of years ago. The on-board tank was connected in parallel with a stand alone tank. The propane man that delivered my propane told me not to have both tanks opened at the same time. Sorry but that is all that I remember him saying. He did tell my why but I just don't remember.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #3

I don't think you have any problem opening both tank valves - propane gas does not have extreme pressure and they will not over pressure. It would be the same pressure as if you had one very large tank. The reason for not using both tanks at the same time is so you will have a back up tank when one goes empty. If you have both valves open and you run out of gas you have to immediately get the tanks filled.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I connected an outside 10 gallon tank with a 5 psi regulator to the BBQ gas port quick connect on the MH. All I needed to do then is shut off the main tank with the gas off switch right next to the fill. Similar pic below but larger tank and shorter hose

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post
2000 Pace Arrow Vision with built in propane tank. I recently installed the extend a stay to make sure we do not go without propane during the winter. We had a lack of propane service last winter causing problems. I would like to know if opening the valve on both propane bottles would cause problems such as to high of pressure. Hope to hear from some of you in the know.

Hi homerbw, I think the purpose of the extend a stay is to conserve your main tanks level of fuel, easier to take a 20# cyl to be filled than driving MH to refuel.So I would close the main tank valve and when 20# tank needs filled open main tank and unhook to fill. after filling hook up and close main tank...and so on.
If you open both each would equal pressure and you would not have a reserve to remind you to fill up soon..
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post
Opening the valves on both tanks will not cause a problem with high pressure. However, if both valves are open, both tanks will run out of propane at the same time - not good, especially if it's in the middle of a cold night.

As She and I suggested, leave the main valve closed and run the RV off the 20# tank that is easy to refill. Only open the main tank valve when the 20# tank is empty and you need to disconnect it to take it to be refilled.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Opening the valves on both tanks will not cause a problem with high pressure. However, if both valves are open, both tanks will run out of propane at the same time - not good, especially if it's in the middle of a cold night.

As She and I suggested, leave the main valve closed and run the RV off the 20# tank that is easy to refill. Only open the main tank valve when the 20# tank is empty and you need to disconnect it to take it to be refilled.
WOW.. in another forum the same question was ask.

That was my answer there.. So.. I guess you could say "SECONDED" .

Tags
propane