Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

propane question and genny problem

ok, so we load up the old 1994 Safari Sahara to go off on a weekend of rockcrawling at the new Katemcy Rocks! great place btw. about an hour outside of houston i popped a breaker, running both a/c's and the wife using the convection oven, thought oh well overload, no biggy, turn off an a/c when using the oven. then the power started cycling on for 2 mins off for 2, so we stopped all the a/c's and oven, turned off the genny for a few mins restarted only using 1 a/c, same thing. we pulled over and the genny seemed to be struggling, checked the propane line all good, valve open. still the same. luckily my buddy had his 6500 watt honda genny and my cheater plug we ran his genny on the trailer and ran the wires redneck style down the side ziptied to the rv... any ideas plugs are new, air filter is new. could use an oil change...

on another note how long can yr genny run on 42 gallons of propane? mine is only good for about 1.5 days, which can get extremely pricey on an extended trip like we had last weekend. usually i bring the 6500 watt honda gas genny for that, only about 10 gallons a day, running the whole time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
LP does not have the BTU's like gasoline or diesel. Therefore an LP generator is very fuel inefficient (a hog) to produce current. Have you made certain that the governor linkage did not get stuck? I would also check all wiring connections to be sure they are good. If all these are good, you may have a problem on the genny itself, like the voltage regulator. Let us know what you find.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #3

You have discovered why diesel coach owners do not want propane generators.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What can cause a false LP gauge reading?
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The LP gauge is driven by a simple float in the tank and is pretty reliable, but that only runs the gauge at the tank. If you have a remote readout, it is electrically driven and poor connections can make that read wrong.

Propane capacity is only 80% of the tank size (tank capacity is measured with water, not propane). Thus a 40 gal tank only holds 32 gal of propane when it is 100% full. Your mechanical gauge may have two scales, one for water and one for propane. Take a close look and see.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I only have 1 scale it seems. One wire leading to my control panel over the door. Even when I disconnect this wire from the LP tank, it reads full. I know the LP tank is M/T because nothing comes out the % valve when opened.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
A short in the circuit to ground can make it read full. If you disconnect it from the monitor side and it reads empty try running a new line thru the window to the tank temporarily to verify this short.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long can your run a Genny on 42 gallons of Propane?

Depends on several things but 21 to 42 hours is not uncommon for Onan 5500 watt products.. Your day and a half sounds just about right.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd agree that 1.5 days on a tank is about what we get. That assumes that both roof A/Cs are on. About that only time we run that long is when we are traveling with guests. When we run the genset with just one A/C unit, the run time can be longer.

We've never come close to running out of propane because our gauge reads very pessimistically (there is always a lot more propane in the tank then the gauge indicates). When you combine that with only being able to fill to 80% the result can be quite limiting.

If you are going to be staying the same place for a while, There are hookups called "extend-a-stay". Essentially, it is a large external propane tank that has a hose back to the RV and is often used by snowbirds for heat. If you moving, that is obviously going to help you much.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote