Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

propane switch problem

over the past week or so i have posted several questions concerning a propane problem with our coach. originally thought it was air in the line...then bad propane. but now i got it figured out.
it's the on/off switch located next to the fill valve.
turn it on/off/on and i get propane under pressure and everything works great.
after a few minutes the pressure is turned off. go mess with the switch and it happens all over again.
i guess i have a switch problem...or could it be what the switch attaches to.
i'm not really sure how this whole thing is rigged.
thanks
bob
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #2

switch

a little research indicates the switch is attached to a electric solenoid valve that turns the propane on/off remotely.
anybody ever have to replace one.
thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

Believe that is some cases that switch is tied to a leak detector to shut down. Would check to see if that is the case or if it is just a safety type item manual operated
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That solenoid valve is part of the older style LP detector system, tht required the detector to shut off propane if its sensed a leak. You can get replacement valves, e.g. at PPL Motorhomes Part Dept.

Or you could remove it - they are no longer required by the fire code.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check your LEAK DETECTOR RE-SET SWITCH, it should be located inside the motorhome. Just last week I wanted to run my (2) furnaces before winter to make sure they were in good order, and neither would lite. I could hear the fuel valve activating but no flame. I then checked the stove for possible air lock, and it would not lite. As the last resort, the water heater would not lite either, telling me there was no gas flow. I then re-set the detector swith and WALLA, everything is normal. Ours is located close to the floor in the kitchen area, just a good safety item. Good luck, Happy trails & travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #6

propane switch

thanks to all for the replies.
switch and solenoid replaced.