Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Ball View Post
I live in Ottawa Ontario Canada and built in tanks needs to be certified every 5 years or they will not fill them at most filling stations.
Not if the tank doesn't provide fuel to the engine.

ASME tanks only need to be visually inspected as stated above, i.e. look good, not rusty or dented.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #16

Murf2u
I've only had my MH since last November and all places I went said that in Ontario, ALL permanent tanks needs certification. I got denied twice at different places until I had a certification done. You mean you can get yours filled anywhere or only the TO area lets you fill it ????
I would like to know so I will save this money in 5 years !!!!
Thanks

Old 08-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #17

In Ontario there are 2 different regulations, under 2 different Acts that cover propane handling, storage, sale and use.

The Ontario a Energy Act has been around for decades, then, as a result of the Sunrise Propane explosion they brought in more detailed regulations under the Technical Safety Standards Act. This second regulation however only covers the 'front end of it, the storage, handling, distribution and sale, but NOT the end use. The requirements in this regulation include recertification of tanker trucks only.

Under the Energy Act the regulation (514 / 96) covers amongst other things, propane-fuelled vehicles and portable cylinders. It is this regulation that propane filling stations are confused over and the reason they're quoting the 10 year rule. This also the regulation BTW that makes CSA Z240 compliance mandatory, but most filling stations (and owners for that matter) don't understand that either.

Section 4 of that regulation says;

"4. (1) No distributor shall supply propane to a container that is connected to an appliance or work unless the distributor,

(a) has inspected the appliance or work at least once within the previous 10 years; and,

(b) is satisfied that the installation and use of the appliance or work complies with the Act and with this Regulation or a predecessor of it as it read when the appliance or work was installed.".

However if you keep reading down to Subsection 3 it says;

"(3) This section does not apply to propane vehicles, industrial vehicles or to appliances on highway vehicles or recreational vehicles.".

This last part is what exempts ASME tanks from the 10 year rule.

Propane-fuelled vehicles are covered by another regulation under the Technical Safety Standards Act, Regulation 211 / 01.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #18

Many Thanks Murf2u

I will make more calls.If had known before I would've tried to find a other place to fill. I did call Ontario government but don't recall what section and told me this was law from last year I believe. I will keep the document in file.
when I go to this site it says that the regulation is repealed since 2001/06/27
https://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/re...eg-514-96.html

Will recheck when my certification comes to end in 5 years

Thanks again

Tags
cat, propane, service, tank