Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #1

Propane Tank Venting??

We just purchased our 2012 Jayco. Arrived home after 2.5 hr drive last Saturday in 95 degree heat. After arriving, we noticed a hissing sound associated with the smell of propane. I looked under the propane tank and found the plastic cover exposed where the tank vents and venting taking place. This lasted about 1.5 hrs then stopped.
Question? With 17 Gallons of propane, on hot days, is this a normal venting time frame? Glad we don't smoke!!!

Thanks in Advance... "Smiling in Alabama"... Fly Safe U All!
Joemaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #2

The tank must have been overfilled..(Never more than 80%)....Or the valve has failed...

Get it checked NOW....Very dangerous!
Foxhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig.

It'll be interesting to see what our experts have to say on this but, I think if the tank were full, or over filled, the hot weather could cause this expansion and venting... but it's kind of scary.

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhaven
The tank must have been overfilled..(Never more than 80%)....Or the valve has failed...

Get it checked NOW....Very dangerous!
Could be a bad relief valve also as the newer bottles are not suppose to be able to overfill.
As mentioned above get it checked. If you just bought it and are close to the dealer give it to him. Do not leave the compartment door closed if possible.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can easily tell how much propane is in the tank now. Take it off the trailer and weight it. Stamped in the metal on the handle, you will fint a TW (TARE Weight) which is the empty bottle weight.

How much does a full 20-pound propane tank weigh

How to Tell How Much Gas Is in a Propane Tank | eHow.com

The bottles should be weighed when filled so they know how much is put in the bottle. Actual bottle weight - TW = actual propane weight.

Trailer propane bottles are typically 20# (like on a home grill), 30# or 40# of propane.

It was either over filled which is next to impossibel with the newer OPD valves, or a bad relief device.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe you had a overpressure problem, not a overfill problem. When motorhomes are built, the lp system is filled with air to test the system. (cheaper than using lp) some times the air is not bleed off before the tank is filled with lp. If this happens you have pressure in the tank and then the lp is put in to the fill line and you have a overpressure situation. I am sure this is what happened to you. That is why new tanks are supposed to be purged.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree the tank was likely overfilled, key word is "WAS" past tense, it's not any more, the excess is what vented.

When next you refill the tank go to an expert, not a gas station or campground or hardware store but a Propane Delivery place, and talk to them.. There COULD be an issue with the tank and if so they are the ones with the skills and tools to dignose and repair.. I would not trust an RV dealer to do this.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

They were supposed to purge the air BEFORE they filled it tank with Propane...Check with your Fire Marshal....

Have someone qualified check out the system...

People worry about Five Year Old Tires...And Ho hum about venting Propane?...
Foxhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone once noticed how calm I was after hitting a patch of black ice and fighting to keep car on road (Successfully I might add) I explained that back there on the ice I was too busy to panic and now that we were clear of it there was no need.

Same with the venting propane.. When it is venting it is dangerous.

Once it stops venting, The danger quickly dissapates. And the best advice is to use some of the propane (IE: feed it to your gril for the evening burgers, Cook Heat water, Cool fridge) so as to bleed off the excess before it gets hot and vents again.

But the danger has passed.

But, DO get it looked at when next the tank is refilled.

And yes, they should have purged it when they first filled it... But did they?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
bleed off the excess before it gets hot and vents again.
I learned this the hard way about 20 years ago when I thought that storing the full spare 5# propane tank under the gas grill with the bottle already in use would be a good idea. After all, that's where I put the full bottle feeding the grill.

Nobody got hurt but it was quite a fire there for a few minutes when the spare bottle got hot, gas expanded and vented directly under my gas grill and the steaks that were half done.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, Glad nobody got hurt, But I would use some of that gas, just to be safe.

I notice that most of the time when I fill up the gauge hits about 3/4 (80% is about 3/4)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

If that tank wasn't purged, it still needs to be done. The air that was in the tank prior to being filled doesn't burn worth a darn and could cause you troubles there (appliances erratic, going out for no reason, hard to light?), as well as increased chance of regulator freeze up in cooler weather. It's not a big deal. You can get it done anywhere there's competent LP gas people around. Shouldn't cost you more than a tank of gas. They'll likely let the contents you have go, then just refill. That's all there is to it.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for the expertise and good advice! What a "rocking' forum of intellect this is!!!
I kinda think the 'AIR' in the tank, then filled with propane is the most likely case. In any event, you folks have opened up our concern and possible remedies.
Thanks Brothers and Sisters!
Fly Yours Safe....

Joe and Pam-- "Say It With A Smile" Alabama.
Joemaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
We just purchased a 2012 Jayco Greyhawk. We were driving into the mountains of New York state on a very hot day. While driving, a loud air rushing sound came from the propane area. Once I pulled over, the problem stopped. I contacted my dealer who said that it was probably the emergency release valve from the pressure. I had a full tank at the time.
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank