Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Pros and Cons

How many people plug the 110V current into MH while not in use ?

I have been leaving mine in while storing for 2/3 weeks and extended storing, Is this hard on the batteries as far as over charging ?

scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes / No.

This depends on the converter. I have a 4 stage converter. I leave mine plugged in while in storage. The 4 stage converter will adjust its voltage to maintain the batteries without overcharging them.

If you have a single stage converter. I would recommend against leaving it plugged in.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
It would depend on your converter system. If it is a three stage charger that goes to float mode when the batteries are at full charge, it shouldn't hurt to leave it plugged in. Some of the older systems have a single stage charger and would definitely hurt the batteries. Our friends left theirs plugged in with a single stage system and it boiled the batteries dry, causing the whole system to shut down ruining food stored in their refrigerator. I prefer to not have mine plugged in all the time and just plug it in overnight about every two weeks to top off the batteries.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
How would you find out how many stage converter you have in your motorhome I see nothing about that in my manual
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The model # of the converter will allow you to google it for an answer.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep our MH connected to 120VAC all the time when we are not using it. I do check the battery levels about once a month!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep coach on charge when not in use. With either shore power or solar. With a quality charger of course.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
How would you find out how many stage converter you have in your motorhome I see nothing about that in my manual
Scooterbob,
Most diesel pushers utilize what's called an INVERTER/CHARGER. Whereas, a large percentage of gas coaches, utilize a CONVERTER/CHARGER. I suspect, based on your signature stating a "DP", you have the Inverter/Charger. So, the very first thing you need to do is, go FIND that Inverter/Charger and see just what brand/make/model/serial number/etc. on it.

Knowing those specs, will guide you to either find info about it in your manuals, or, look your model up on line. A large percentage of the Inverter/Chargers DO have three-stage battery charging in the Charger section of that inverter. Different makers label the stages of charging differently. For instance, our Magnum 2012ME series 2000 Watt In/Chrgr has (4) levels of charging and one Equalizing. They are, Bulk, Absorb, float and Full.

So, you just need to find out WHAT you have. If yours has any of the above attributes, (levels of charging), you'll be good to go, as far as leaving it plugged into shore power while in storage. That's not to say you shouldn't check on it every once in a while to make sure things are what they're supposed to be.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #9

Plugged in 24/7 when not in use.

I have a 3-stage charger which maintains the batteries without overcharging them.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Your '08 Winnebago should have the Trik-L-Charge installed from the factory so both battery banks will charge when plugged in. If you have a Parallex charger/converter, make sure the model you have is configured with a "float" mode. If no float mode, check your battery water levels at a minimum of once a week. The Parallex 7455 which was factory installed on mine cooked the batteries because it does not have the lower voltage float mode and I was not as vigilant as I should have been. A Progressive Dynamic 9260 converter charger solved my problem. I keep ours plugged into a 50 amp circuit 24/7 while parked at home.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Plugged in 24/7 when not in use.

I have a 3-stage charger which maintains the batteries without overcharging them.

I should add that the coach is plugged into a standard 110 volt wall plug via an extension cord and 50->30->15 amp adapters.