Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Angry protective skin on the front of the motorhome

Mine is so stained. I obviously did not take care of it properly. The motorhome is a 2013 that we bought new. The dealer tells me that they are only good for 5 years. And guess what, its been 5 years!
They tell me it will be $1500 to replace it. Ouch!
What have any of you guys done?
I was wondering about putting a leather bar over it? or do I just need to replace it?
Thanks for the help!
Carol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #2

Its ironic that the chip guard (whatever that is called) looks worse than it would if you didn't have one. I don't know what you could have done to make it look any better. My 14 yr old rig without one looks just fine no chips etc.

I have read lots of threads about removing it. There are lots of hours involved. I wouldn't bother putting it back on. Its worth researching, someone listed a product that worked well to remove it, for the life of me I cant remember what it was. When I didn't end up purchasing one with it on it I put all that info aside in my brain. lol

I do know that plastic razor blades are a must. If you don't have them already, get some. Ive only had mine a couple months and Ive found 48975 things to use them on. lol Make sure you get a metal scraper, the plastic ones don't hold up to the pressure. I got 100 @$7 off amazon. They don't last long so stock up.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

IIRC the trade name for that coating is Diamond Shield.

After a quick search, here are the 507 previous threads on this. I think you will find a much broader basis of knowledge in the responses in a much shorter time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22d...=13&gws_rd=ssl
Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks...
What I am concerned about is taking the paint off while removing it? The place I called about replacing it asked if we wanted the logos reapplied? Sounds like they take it down to the bottom?
Did anyone say if they removed it, they could just polish and wax the front and then all is good?
Just want to make sure before I start!
Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caburke2 View Post
Thanks...

What I am concerned about is taking the paint off while removing it? The place I called about replacing it asked if we wanted the logos reapplied? Sounds like they take it down to the bottom?

Did anyone say if they removed it, they could just polish and wax the front and then all is good?

Thanks again.

On our 16 year old coach I have removed most of the Diamond shield. Still have some sections to go including where the decal is on top of the diamond shield. Have not decided what I am going to do with that section. Except in a few edges the paint underneath was good as new and I just applied wax.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #6

A buddy replaces the Clear Bra's on autos. He uses a portable steamer to dampen and heat under the film as he pulls it off. Think paint scraper made of steam.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks...
Thanks again.
I would dig through the link ThePowells posted. I know you won't lose the paint.
Pretty sure it can be removed and have the decals intact but do your research to find out how. You could even search using diamond shield and decal and you might come up with more specific info. Half the battle in searching is knowing what the darn thing is called.

Don't have the place that wanted to know if you wanted the decals reapplied until you find out more about the process. I do know its simple to remove just painstakingly slow.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #8

We had Diamond Shield on our motorhome and it was in perfect condition when we sold it 8 years later. If you notice from any other posts if you dig through them, folks living in the humid southern states have the most trouble with it and mold. We kept ours in the drier western states and had no problem. We did use 303 on it regularly.

Here is a motorhome owner who just had their's removed the past month by a company in Florida and they highly recommend the company. Here's their report on it.:

https://wheelingit.us/category/easy-rv-mods/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #9

I removed the Diamond Shield on our coach using a steamer and plastic razor blades. Getting the film off is bad enough but getting the residual glue off is even worse. The best solvent I found was Xylene (spray on a lot to keep the glue wet as you scrape it off). Miserable job, but I am too frugal to pay someone else to do it. I would NEVER consider replacing it.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Again my Diamond Shield should last many many years since I use Nu Finish on it every 6 months. I read the instructions that came with it....
Old 04-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #11

x2 to Fatchance, just be sure to get lots of plastic razor blades if you steam turn into sun, just don'tuse a heat gun it makes film to gooey, took about 20 hrs for 1/2 of mine. then just wax.

ben
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 AM   #12

Check with manufacturer I believe the newer version like yours has a better warranty.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Mine is so stained. I obviously did not take care of it properly. The motorhome is a 2013 that we bought new. The dealer tells me that they are only good for 5 years. And guess what, its been 5 years!
They tell me it will be $1500 to replace it. Ouch!
What have any of you guys done?
I was wondering about putting a leather bar over it? or do I just need to replace it?
Thanks for the help!
Carol
I just watched a video a guy made who took the diamond shield off his coach with a pressure washer. He said it had to have at least 3000 psi and he used a 15 degree tip. Anything broader than that and it wouldn't work. His paint looked new yet underneath that cracked, ugly diamond shield. I wouldn't use plastic OR metal scrapers or you will be repainting your coach for scratches. Check YouTube for the video I mentioned....and I will see if I can find it and add it here too.
PPCPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #14

[QUOTE=FatChance;4123406]I removed the Diamond Shield on our coach using a steamer and plastic razor blades. Getting the film off is bad enough but getting the residual glue off is even worse. The best solvent I found was Xylene (spray on a lot to keep the glue wet as you scrape it off). Miserable job, but I am too frugal to pay someone else to do it. I would NEVER consider replacing it.[/QUO

Same here, wife and I done ours back in November using steamer and plastic scrapers. We are to cheap to pay someone to do it, but about half of a day into i was ready, but wife wouldn't let me. Once done the paint looked like it had just been painted. I will never put that stuff back on mine.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome