Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Purchase agreement on RV's

Anyone when buying from a private seller do a purchase agreement? Done this before with long distance car purchases...

my situation...I was making an offer on a 5th wheel truck trailer combo. Offered/suggested a purchase agreement that would define what (vin numbers and equipment) that I would be buying, and the payment method. the seller did want any part of that...just stated...bring me the cash, man that is a tall stack of $100 bills, and will do the deal.
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes - Like you said, on a long distance purchase. You need to explain to the seller that this protects both you and him. I'm not going to buy a airline ticket only to arrive and discover he sold the MH.

On the other hand, He has assurance that I have committed to buy and am not paying lip service.

Real basic - After looking at 50 plus photos that the seller sent me.

I put down a $100 non-refundable deposit to hold the vehicle for one week while I arranged airline tickets to do final inspection and pick up.

He could let other people look at it, but I had first option.

If I did not pick up the MH or close the deal after one week, he keeps the $100.

If he sold it or vehicle did not match photos (i.e. he let someone drive it and they damaged it), he would refund my deposit and reimburse my travel expenses.

I would pay cash or certified check in the amount we had previously agreed on, and he would sign over a clear, lien free, title to me.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
it is not a plane ride, but it is 2.5 hour drive one way.

but it is the point of this is what your selling, it free of any liens, and this is how we are going to do the transaction...you sign it...I sign it...now we have an agreement.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
2.5 hours...

Probably wouldn't need anything in writing, as I'm gambling my time, and so is the seller.

When I've sold a couple cars, I've had people call me telling me they would be right over, and they never show up.

See if he will hold for a few hours to allow you to drive over. If not, its your gamble.

Make sure the title is in his name, if not, why not. Also when you give him a receipt to sign, make sure it says something like no leins.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
he doesn't want to sign anything other then the titles. to qoute him on the liens..."if it had a lien it would state this on the title".
Old 05-03-2015, 05:01 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally, yes, the lien holder would hold the title. However, There are other types of liens that could be applied to a vehicle (depending on your states Vehicle Department) that will only show up when you attempt to do a title transfer.

i.e. a Mechanics lien in Ohio, I present the VIN number with a signed work contract to the DMV and I can place a mechanics lien on your vehicles VIN. You won't even know I did this until you go get plates or re-register the title

If the seller doesn't want to sign anything, ask if he will go to the DMV with you, and when the title is reassigned to you, he will get his check.

You might be able to take the VIN number to the DMV and see if they can tel you if its clear.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think you're pretty safe if the guy has the titles on the vehicles. If someone has a mechanic's lien, they typically take the vehicle....that is the lien. Otherwise it would just be a civil case between the owner and the mechanic.

If it were me and I was interested in doing the deal, I would drive there and do it. In today's world of crooks and losers, the seller may be concerned that you want him to sign all kinds of documents that make him liable for something he hasn't even sold yet.

If I were the seller, you wouldn't be getting ANY documents until you showed up with the money. Then you would get both titles and a typed or hand written receipt showing what you bought, the date and for how much. Lastly it would include the words AS-IS. Obviously, if he doesn't have the titles, you have other issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #8

As posted above get the vin and call DMV, if there are any liens they will tell you. At only 2.5 hours I'd call ahead and ask him if he will hold the rv at least until you get there, if he says first come first served then its either take a chance or pass on the deal.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, rvs