Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Bought my '99 in Cocoa Beach 2 years ago. When I got it back to Michigan, I was amazed at the undercarriage. No rust or corrosion. The wifes '99 Expedition at that time was a rust bucket underneath. If you won't buy one from Florida, you sure don't want one from Michigan.

clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I live about 25 miles inland from Daytona Beach, and never have any rust or corrosion issues at all.
But, if someone lives near the beach, rust and corrosion will attack steel the first month. I have seen a house air conditioner near the beach, that was 2 years old and was almost rusted away.
They are 2 very different environments.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #17

How a motorhome is stored also matters. If it spends most of its time on grass, then you may find rust, no matter where it's from. Our neighbor bought a 1 owner/low mileage 97 Class C from Florida. It was always kept in central Florida, and the frame was covered in rust. It had been parked on grass since new basically. The frame was just surface rust, no biggie....but there other things (like gas tank straps, plywood storage compartment structures etc ) that were pretty rotten. Needless to say, it needed some work.

And I agree that the sun can be just as harsh. I've seen delamination and panel warping caused by heat, rather than water intrusion. It happens more often than you might think.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #18

Usually not much of a rust problem here ... more likely to see heavy rust from driving in areas with snow and ice that are salted. I've lived in both climates. My northern vehicles looked worse than my southern vehicles. Fading and deterioration of plastics from high UV is a bigger issue here.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #19

Do people even drive motorhomes in the snow though?? because if so, I literally have never seen it around here.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #20

I don't know where you live Jon, but it's pretty common around here.

The DW, Deputy Dog & I use ours lots in the winter, several times each winter we spend between a weekend and 4 or 5 days in our m/h at the in-laws or visiting out of town friends, etc.

One weekend it got so cold the propane stopped boiling and the furnace went off. Thank goodness for electric backup heat!!

I must say, the marginally overloaded m/h chassis performs pretty good in snow!!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I don't know where you live Jon, but it's pretty common around here.

The DW, Deputy Dog & I use ours lots in the winter, several times each winter we spend between a weekend and 4 or 5 days in our m/h at the in-laws or visiting out of town friends, etc.

One weekend it got so cold the propane stopped boiling and the furnace went off. Thank goodness for electric backup heat!!

I must say, the marginally overloaded m/h chassis performs pretty good in snow!!

I live in the crappy/snowy part of Canada. The part that just got 30 inches in a little over 48hrs (which isn't uncommon), and is currently -25 .....if that matters??

maybe in climates that get a dusting of snow, these things still get used?? Because here, unless you're crazy enough to plow down powdery roads, in temperatures cold enough to freeze even winter-grade windshield washer fluid...I doubt you're going anywhere.

Maybe that's why I have never ever seen a MH out in the dead middle of winter around here?? there's no reason to.

You're probably right, I wouldn't doubt they probably handle well in snow. I've seen how they handle in mud...so....

Somewhere In Nevada - Motorhome Mud Bog.mov - YouTube
Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
DW and I have lived the majority of our lives in Fl. (Retired now). We live two hundred yards from the gulf. Chassis corrosion is not a problem, uv damage is a consideration but you will find such anywhere in the US. When I was at the UC, Bolder CO you could get the worst sunburn! The brine used on highways and byways in cold climates IMO is by far a greater concern. I use 303 uv protection on my awnings, AC covers, sat dome, etc. once every 4 months solves the uv problem. Most folks use this product no matter theit local. Good luck in your search keep us posted.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #23

We ended up getting a 2004 Travel Supreme that lived all of its life in the southwest. The reason for not getting the FL rig had nothing to do with the potential problems. We liked the rig we found and had easy access to inspect it.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
My coach came from a snow bird and traveled between mass and fla. I had more issues with under carriage rust than anything else. Florida's main issue is sun drying out sealant, hoses and gaskets. Also hard on vinyl graphics. Be sure to verify the tire date codes before trying to drive it home.

Some will agree and some will not. I am OK with that. Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjholt View Post
I wouldn't buy anything from Florida. I just spent a month there and could watch rust happen- I'm not kidding.
Get some photos of the under carriage to see if it is rusted or not.
If it was parked inside maybe I'd look at it or on a slab of some sort- otherwise the moisture that come up from the ground will get on the underside and if it is not undercoated, it will be rusty.

Your joking , right, I have lived in Florida now for 26 years. .Three years ago I traded in a 2000 Toyota Tundra that I had owned from new for over 10 years. The under side of that pickup was just about as good as it was when it came from the factory as was the rest of the truck. Not a rust spot in sight. After having been driven some over 100,000 miles and being in three hurricanes there were a few scratches but absolutely no rust.