Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Quality of monaco vs newmar vs tiffins

I want to hear from you people of IRV2 about quality of products between three Rv manufacturer. I'm considering to buy a used High End DP year 2005 to 2007. Pls tell us some of your opinion from what you've experience in this three big manufacturer regarding their product's quality. Tnx.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

Can only speak to Monaco. My full time coach is an '03 Monaco which has been home for 7 years now. The Monaco's, which include Holiday Rambler and Beaver, built on the Roadmaster S Series semi monocoque chassis are of outstanding build quality. The cabinetry and components are top notch. The '05-'07 coaches are some of the best the old Monaco Coach Corp ever built. The current Monaco gives tech support and parts support to these legacy coaches.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Previously owned two Fleetwoods, Bounder and Storm. Currently a Monoaco Dynasty, 1998 vintage. Could not ask for a more sound coach, we'll built and solid. Quality through and through.
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

I've owned a 02 Monaco and a 07 Newmar and I've known a few people with Tiffin's. Personally I would rank them this way

1. Newmar
2. Monaco
Tiffin

While I do rank the Newmar as being slightly better built I would buy a 'true' Monaco coach again. I would recommend both Newmar and Monaco as good quality coach builders, Tiffin OTOH, not so much.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't have a lot of personal experience to make a comparison. I'm happy with my Monaco built coach - there are some minor quality issues, but overall it seems to be well built and reliable.

I have a friend with a Newmar, and she's very happy with it. I've not looked at it very closely, but it seems to be built well.

I have another friend that's had a Tiffen Phaeton for a few years. We've camped together four times since they've had it. Each time there is something significant that goes wrong requiring a service trip when they get home.
  • First trip they arrived with their basement compartment doors duct-taped shut because a couple of the latches had failed.
  • Second trip they left early with dead batteries due to electrical issues.
  • Third trip the leveling jacks acted up. Then their door awning broke and they ended up with it duct taped shut for the ride home.
  • Fourth trip the jacks went haywire, severely racking the frame before they finally jammed. Ended up breaking the windshield and they needed a tow truck to come out with a heavy duty jack to lift the rear axle to take weight off of the leveling jack so it would release the bind and let it retract. Once again, they went home covered in tape, this time on the windshield.
That's just one person's experience, but it's disheartening to say the least. We'll be camping with them again in August, I wonder what will go wrong this time...
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We ordered a 2009 Tiffin Phaeton in July '08 and took delivery a couple months later. It was a fantastic coach and we loved it. Until the economy got the better of us. In the 18 months we had the Phaeton, the hydraulic pump for the rear slide blew (literally) twice. We still belong to the local Allegro group and camp with other owners. Most have made the trip from the West coast to Red Bay, Alabama for repairs. Tiffin will stand behind their product like no other manufacturer but they have had issues. The radiused roof rails are problematic, as are wet bay rotting, slide floor warping.
When we sold the Phaeton, we bought a 2000 Dynasty. I really think that the 15 year old Monaco handles better than the new Tiffin. I absolutely love the AquaHot and air leveling, which weren't available on the Phaeton. If I had the money for a newer coach, it would definitely be another Monaco. Look at Camelot or Dynasty for the side radiator and AquaHot.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
I want to hear from you people of IRV2 about quality of products between three Rv manufacturer. I'm considering to buy a used High End DP year 2005 to 2007. Pls tell us some of your opinion from what you've experience in this three big manufacturer regarding their product's quality. Tnx.
MARANATHA
IMO, unbiased opinions/comparisons of various coaches are hard to find.
(No one whats to admit that they made multi-thousand dollar mistake).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestie View Post
Tiffin will stand behind their product like no other manufacturer but they have had issues.
I should've added that to my prior comments. My friends have had lots of issues, but Tiffen has been very accomdating and easy to work with. So it's good news and bad news: good that they are good with repairs, bad that they need the repairs in the first place.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In my opinion it depends on which models within each respective manufacturer you are looking at? A Newmar King Aire or Essex to a Monaco Knight isn't same level of coach. In general in the luxury line of Newmar I would definitely give them the 1 position, followed by Monaco and then Tiffin of the three manufacturers you asked about. If I was looking in the 2005-07 model years there are other manufacturers I would look at depending on your budget, floor plan preferences, and amenities you desire in your coach. Good luck in your research!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I think the higher end Monaco's would be somewhat comparable to the Newmars with the house systems and furnishings. Never had a Newmar, so I don't know that for sure. If that is the case, having owned a Monaco for 7 years now, I'd pick a Newmar the next time around. I have a mid-level coach in the Monaco diesel pusher line. I've always enjoyed it we love the layout and the amenities we got for the money. But, I've never become a fan of the Monaco Roadmaster chassis. I'd much prefer a Spartan chassis. I think Monaco took too many shortcuts on their proprietary chassis.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #11

As stated above, if looking at 2005 to 2007 MH's you may want to look at Country Coach and Travel Supreme as well. Good luck shopping.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Can only speak to Monaco. My full time coach is an '03 Monaco which has been home for 7 years now. The Monaco's, which include Holiday Rambler and Beaver, built on the Roadmaster S Series semi monocoque chassis are of outstanding build quality. The cabinetry and components are top notch. The '05-'07 coaches are some of the best the old Monaco Coach Corp ever built. The current Monaco gives tech support and parts support to these legacy coaches.
But be careful about going beyond '07; I've read numerous horror stories about MH's built just before the Monaco bankruptcy.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I am interested in those stories docj as I look for our next coach. Can you steer us toward their location? Some have reported some doubt to that story. Thanks...Bill
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I distinctly recall a remodeler I deal with telling me of some of his experiences with very late year Monaco's. I'm pretty sure I've seen reference to other issues in some of the online forums. I also have a friend who must own one of the first coaches badged with the Navistar logo; it's a piece of junk.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, newmar, quality, tiffin