Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #1

Question about '02 Safari Braking System

I am new to this site, and I have a question concerning the braking system on my 2002 motor home. Can someone please direct me to the right place for some answers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to iRV2. You're in the right place; what's your question?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

New brakes put on, now abs lights comes on, running with only front right brake, now both front brakes are working, but no back brakes, It is in a shop.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a good idea to have it in the shop. Here's a little info about troubleshooting ABS; it can be as simple as a dirty sensor or much more complicated. I am no expert, so I had to Google. ABS Brakes Troubleshooting - How to Troubleshoot Anti Lock Brakes Problems - Popular Mechanics

I hope the shop can get you fixed up. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

Thumbs up Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sounds like a good idea to have it in the shop. Here's a little info about troubleshooting ABS; it can be as simple as a dirty sensor or much more complicated. I am no expert, so I had to Google. ABS Brakes Troubleshooting - How to Troubleshoot Anti Lock Brakes Problems - Popular Mechanics

I hope the shop can get you fixed up. Good luck.
I want to say thank you for your info. I went to this site and downloaded the info.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by safariowner View Post
I want to say thank you for your info. I went to this site and downloaded the info.
You are quite welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Please post what the problem was when you get it fixed!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #7

After much deliberation and hard work on the motor home brakes, it was determined that there was air in the line, and that we do not use the (jake) brake all the time. We did not know that you are supposed to leave it on. When I drove it (one time) I did not like it on. I preferred to put my foot on the brake and make it work myself.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

Thumbs up brakes on 2002 Safari

They found air in the line. And told us we need to keep the (jake) brake on. When I drove the motor home, I preferred to put my foot on the peddle and stop the rig myself. Are there any set rules as to what you should do. And thank you in advance.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariowner View Post
They found air in the line. And told us we need to keep the (jake) brake on. When I drove the motor home, I preferred to put my foot on the peddle and stop the rig myself. Are there any set rules as to what you should do. And thank you in advance.
safariowner,
A question for you. I'm assuming your rig is a "Safari" since it's in your user name but, as of yet, unless I misread any of your posts, what exactly is your rig, your engine etc.? The reason I ask is, you're referencing the "Jake" brake in a couple of your answers. To unknowing folks, the term "Jake Brake" can mean anything in terms of auxiliary braking. I certainly don't want to insult your intelligence here but, I just want to make sure we're both on the same page when I try and help with an answer to any form of a brake question.

Just so we're both clear here. The term "Jake" in reference to auxiliary braking applies to the type of secondary brake system originally termed "Jacobs Engine Brake". Now, I won't go into the history of it but, that type of brake is a "Compression" brake. In that, the internals of the engine, in a specific operation, turn into basically a compressor and that is what stops or slows you when it's applied.

An "Exhaust" brake is simply a valve, placed into the exhaust system, usually not very far from the turbo, that closes off the exhaust system so that no exhaust can be expelled from the system. And, when that happens, the build up of exhaust does not allow the engine to continue to "free flow" air through it for normal operations and therefore, it restricts the engine and, through the transmission, restricts your vehicle from coasting.

OK, now that the basics are laid out. That is why I asked you about your rig. Do you know if you have a true "Jake" brake or, is your rig equipped with an exhaust brake that's labeled as a Jake brake?

In either case, you say you don't like it's operation and would prefer for you to slow the rig yourself. Well, that's understandable if, you're not familiar with the auxiliary braking system(s) and how and WHY they're used and installed. Most Diesel rigs are considerably heavier than their gas counter parts. So, with that being said, and, coupled with the fact that about 99.9% of them are always towing something, the effort needed to slow or stop them is much higher than their gas counterparts.

So, knowing that, the chassis manufacturers and engine suppliers use AUXILIARY braking, to supplement the standard brakes for two very important reasons. One is to assist the standard brakes (air or hydraulic) in the braking effort and reduce the chance of fading and two, to keep and preserve longevity for the brakes themselves.

If you were to take a survey, many of the diesel drivers (motor homes that is) are getting in excess of 100,000 miles on the original brakes due simply to the fact that, the auxiliary braking system is so widely used and effective. The normal braking is reduced significantly and therefor prolonging the maintenance or replacement of brake components.

So, back to your statement of you'd rather use the brakes than the "Jake Brake". Well, I hope I've explained the reason to develop a liking for it, and why it's there and used. My suggestion for you, if I may, would be for you to simply go out and cruise around, up and down some grades, hills, freeway situations and whatever else you encounter and use that "Jake" brake. Then feel it's effectiveness and how well it works for your particular rig.

As for leaving it on, some folks act like it's an act of congress to turn it on and off. It's a SWITCH for Christs sake. It can be turned on and off in a matter of a nano second. You can use it (the Jake brake) at your present speed/condition and in the next minute, you may not want it so, you TURN IT OFF. Then, in the next minute, you might find a need for it so, you TURN IT BACK ON! It's that simple. It's all a matter of choice and preference.

But, unless you have a burning desire to replace brake shoes on a fairly frequent basis which, on air brake systems is NOT CHEAP, I'd highly recommend getting used to using it in various conditions. Hope this info helped some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #10

Dear Fire Up, you can not insult my intelligence because I am smart enough to ask questions about things I do not know, and have people who do know tell me the answers. I DO appreciate your letting me know about the difference in the braking system. I also found out that we have air over hydraulics so we are using an exhaust system. And yes we do have a Safari, Sahara 40 ft. diesel. I am not sure about the motor. I am not the driver of this vehicle. I only drove it once and did not like using the hydraulic system. But from here on out, my husband will be using it, we do not like getting new brakes as often as we have. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

safariowner,
You're most certainly welcome. Again, I'm no expert. After driving fire trucks for well over 35 years, you do become "somewhat" knowledgeable about braking systems and, how and when they work and, the benefits of them. Good luck in your rig.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote