Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Question about buying used National Sea View

Ok, here's my dilema: My wife and I have been looking at a 2000 NRV Sea View p-53 chassis. We agreed to a price and based on the pics and the info we got, we drove 1000 miles in a rental to buy it and drive it home. Other than a couple minor issues which I can resolve, it is in excellent condition inside and out. The problems started during the test drive once we returned to the owner's house I checked the brakes and the rears were hot and fronts were barley warm. The unit would coast ok so I think it's just sticky caliper mounts as it's not been driven only started and moved on the property as the owner's parents who had it passed and it's being sold to settle an estate. The other issue started on the 2nd test drive as the steering started the dreaded "death wobble" around 45mph and seemed worse on the last test drive. The owner is paying to have it towed and checked out to determine and fix the brake issue and check tire balance as I'm hoping it's a bad tire as they are worn to around 25-30%. If the brakes can be fixed and it's found to just need tires, I am prepared to put new tires on it, but we're kinda paranoid about the whole situation as we knew coming down that we may need to back out and come home if it wasn't in the condition we believed it was, but it was such a good deal (less than half of what dealers are asking of similar units) it has been worth the time and money to come see it, just not sure if it's we should cut our losses and look elsewhere. Just looking for any info on tire and brake issues and stuck in a motel room needing to vent a little!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked out the rest of the unit?????
All systems, all appliances, servicing of unit,
roof, awnings, etc?

You have found two major problems, what makes you think the rest
of the unit is in good shape?

Old 02-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not familiar with the P53 chassis, not sure if it has kingpins or ball joints,

Death wobble is more likely to be tie rod end or ball joints, but could be the old tires, I guess youll have to wait and see

Death wobble usually occurs with worn suspension components.

I would think it needs more than new tires, just my opinion

If the owner is willing to get the suspension and brakes fixed, I say go for it.
I would not let this discourage me in buying it, as long as you have checked everything else out.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If the owner will do repairs go for it,tires bad may cause it to wobble. Brakes should be warm but not hot hot. Just purchased a 04 Winnebago setting for four years,every thing works.But mine was only 50 mi from home.Make sure tire pressure is correct.It was working when parked or could not have been driven.Very few motor homes wear out.Looking for a motor home is a pain.Don't walk away yet.Have it looked at by a mechanic.Sign up for coach net in case of trouble.One we looked at drove 370 mi to find salesman had lied.Good luck.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

We're trying to wait, rv is being towed to shop this morning, but our room check out is at noon, don't know if they will have an answer for me by then, if not I'll have to pay for another nights stay and if everyting else is ok and it it's just a bad tire, I'm putting tires on at my expense. Our main agreement was that it was road worthy so it would make the trip home so we'll see what happens. We are looking to pay cash for this coach, but are now wondering if we should be considering financing a newer model with no issues.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

Couple things come to mind...
  • When was the last time the RV was taken on a trip (100+ miles) ?
  • What is the date code of the tires?
  • How long has it sat since last moving?
Probably all questions you've either asked, or should ask... I especially like the "when was the last trip" ?

Obviously, buying a unit that has "sat" for a long period of time, there is always a risk factor.. If you're getting as good of a deal as you've mentioned (1/2 off), then it may be worth the risk...

The problem with your particular situation, you can't talk to actual owners to find out whats really going on... Likely, the "death wobble" is from a bad tire (broken cord).. I can't imagine there is suspension related issues.. unless it really has sat for a long period of time and there is deterioration of bushings and such...

If they're having the unit towed to the shop to figure out.. it seems like the seller are conscientious enough to want to do the right thing.. I'd see what the outcome is and then make your decision going forward..

The only other thing you can control is looking the coach over... you're gonna want to look at the roof for any leaks.. keep in mind, depending on where in the country you are (uv damages a lot of components).. seams and gaskets will likely be brittle and will need to be replaced or repaired.. a thorough routine maintenance to the engine and coach will need to be preformed.. belts, hoses, anything plastic or rubber.. will need to be inspected closely.. in all likelihood, they'll need to be replaced..

Additionally, run the generator... make sure you can run it for at least 30-60 minutes under a load.. make sure the fridge gets cold.. take the vent panel off and see if you see any discoloration.. check out all the storage for rodent damage (same with the engine).. Run the A/C units and/or heat pumps if applicable.. check out the plumbing, try to make sure water works both ways (from tank/pump and using city pressure)

Just take your time and make sure everything works to the best of your ability.. but also keep in mind, some things won't show up right away.. be prepared and use some of the savings to set up a maintenance/warranty reserve..

Good Luck, keep us informed...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your having this many problem in the test drives, run. There are many nice coaches out there keep looking. Thats just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #8

We ended up coming back home as the shop he had it towed to had the tech call off sick for the 2nd day in a row. After further discussions with him, he admitted to knowing the speedo wasn't working, and hadn't worked for quite a while, AFTER telling me on the phone that it had only 28,000 miles, and also that the radio was not working. He admitted knowing about these issues after we got there and test drove it, although I clearly asked him if the rv was road ready, the only issue he told me about was the gen wouldn't start, I felt for the money with the pics he sent I was willing to take the risk and drive down, live and learn. So I guess we're still shopping.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawchop View Post
We ended up coming back home as the shop he had it towed to had the tech call off sick for the 2nd day in a row. After further discussions with him, he admitted to knowing the speedo wasn't working, and hadn't worked for quite a while, AFTER telling me on the phone that it had only 28,000 miles, and also that the radio was not working. He admitted knowing about these issues after we got there and test drove it, although I clearly asked him if the rv was road ready, the only issue he told me about was the gen wouldn't start, I felt for the money with the pics he sent I was willing to take the risk and drive down, live and learn. So I guess we're still shopping.
Well it was meant to be, at least it was a learning experience, maybe try some dealer/consignment lots. There are plenty of used RVs on the market. Good luck
Old 03-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #10

Carolina Campers

If you had bought it, I fear that would only be the start to a long line of issues... I hope you know that National is no longer in business... The last model year was 2006. Just thought I'd mention that...

Also, it sounds like it is more than tires, it sounds more like it could be a worn out suspension, and far more than 28K miles.

If the miles are accurate, then it has set around far more than used, which means that you would more than likely have generator issues, probably dried out gaskets, etc. You would be facing replacing the full set of tires.

If it had a basement heat pump you would probably find it very hard to repair and now longer being manufactured.

You would probably be facing many other upgrades that would be needed, like TV's, microwave, etc.... JMHO.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

We know National is out of business, just really like the general layout on the nationals, and it seemed like such a good deal, maybe too good of a deal? If anyone would be interested in looking at it, I can provide info on it, it's located near Baton Rogue. I still think a good mechanic could make a nice coach out of it.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #12

Carolina Campers

National did make a good coach. I know, I owned an '05... That is why I can speak from personal experiance.

On the other hand, maybe the price would make it a good fixer upper for someone with the time and know how. Just be aware, you could easily see somewhere in the $20K+ in upgrades. Couple of grand, just for cheaper tires, if not more. Five grand or more for a generator, and other upgrades could be $15K or more... So if the price was very good, like $15K or less, with $20K in upgrades, you may have a grate coach.

Btw, those type of gages for the dash are not made anymore, and very hard to get. You would need to retrofit for best results. Also, the dash A/C is bad to go out, and no longer manufactured, so another retrofit, at several grand. So price would be everything.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a reminder--2008 was last year of National RV. They are a very good coach and were 4th largest manufacture of motorhomes.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #14

We found a 2001 NRV Sea View locally at a dealer with 27k on it, runs and drives very nice, great inside, everything works, but several of the basement doors have cracks and the awning is starting to show some wear. They want 30,000 for it, but I'm finding a lot of NRV models in the 15-20k range online but they're not close to us, so I thought he was a little high and figured we would do better buying from an individual. The search is still on!

Tags
national