Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Question about dealerships repair insurance

Just bought a thor hurricane 2006 30Q. 9k miles and seems really clean.I have 30 days of free servicing.After that I've been offered a service guarantee up to 4 years or less.The policy covers most everything except naturally worn out parts.If I do it for 4 years I pay about 80 a month.3 years a little more and so on.Its 250.00 deductible.I'm no mechanic with little handyman experience,I'm considering it.Any feedback welcomed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

This sounds like an extended "warranty"/service plan. Does the dealer only sell this policy or do they actually underwrite it? Use our search feature and you'll find a ton of reading material.

I bought one with my new DP for peace of mind and I don't regret it.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #3

Underwrite?They say they will cover charges if Im out of state.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv artisan View Post
Underwrite?They say they will cover charges if Im out of state.
I'll be interested in replies you get on this. Usually, these policies are written by larger insurance type companies with an infrastructure for handling claims nation wide. I would wonder how a local dealer who had to pay the bill would respond if you blew an engine 2000 miles away.

At any rate, be sure to read the fine print before purchasing one.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Extended warranty

The name of the extended warranty is"Easy Care".Anyone heard of it?It sounds almost too good.Towing up to 10000$.Repairs on everything except something worn out.Lodging if rv is in the shop.Up to 4 years guarantee about 90.00$ monthly .I have a month to decide with this first month free from the dealership.They are also offering "Tire Sheild" which guarantees the cost of repair for road hazard damage,replacement of the tire,rim damage, road service call up to 100$ and all sales tax covered. Any info would be helpful.The policy is transferable.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Easy Care is what I have and I couldn't be happier with them. They've never denied a claim and every shop I've had do work is happy to deal directly with them and wait for their payment because they know they'll get paid.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My experience has been the same as RickO. The Cummins shop that does all of my maintenance prefers them over the others they have to deal with.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #8

I appreciate you feedback,how much are you paying for Easy Care?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just my 2 cents, but if RickO would move this thread to a forum more appropriate you would get pages of feed back on extended warranty programs or you can go to the search button and type "extended". Most of the discussions are in the general discussion forum.

Good luck and remember to read the small print that often negates the large print and if its not in writing...and on and on.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One thing to remember is that, by law, they are not a "warranty", no matter whaat they call them.
They are a contract for service. You must follow the service schedule or they can deny coverage.
One case I know of was an owner had transmission problems and needed a rebuild, the contract administrator asked for the service records and found the the owner went 750 miles past on an oil change requirement. They denied the transmission repair on that alone. They did refund the cost of the policy but it was far less than the needed repairs.
Others have had the company go out of business, leaving them to pay for the contract (if they financed it) and no way out of it.
Read some of the posts in the linked threads and decide.
We self insure and are money ahead by not buying them. Consumer reports says not to buy them also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv artisan View Post
I appreciate you feedback,how much are you paying for Easy Care?
As I recall, my policy cost about $6K for six years on the new DP.

Also, as Jim suggested, I have moved your thread from the Northeast Region forum to MH General Discussion.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

And if they told you it covers "almost everything", they are guilty of egregious exaggeration. All service plans (extended warranties) are loaded with exceptions and loopholes, and not just things like "inadequate maintenance. "Consequential damage" is a biggie, and usually failures of things like seals and gaskets are also excluded. You must read all the fine print carefully. They mean every word of it and will enforce it rigorously.

I also suggest you shop around for prices - you can often get the same or better policy from a broker for less many.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #13

These so called extended warranties are border Line scams. The $250 deductible is so high you will be paying for all small repairs yourself. Many others will fall under the "worn out" part of the contract. When in Vegas we rarely gamble, as the odds are in favor of the house. We never buy extended warranties or service contracts as the odds are stacked way in favor of the people selling and underwriting them. I keep my money and pay for repairs if and when needed. I am way ahead of the game as I rarely have issues with anything. But when we do we just pay the bill and smile.

Tags
insurance, repair