Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #1

I am back again with another beginner question. We have one leveler on the front and 2 in the back, a cyclops I believe it is called. We park on a slope at home and my husband has been raising the front up so far that the right wheel is off the ground, and it is still not level. I was reading on the thread about keeping the fridge level, and someone said you are not suppose to raise the wheels off the ground as it could cause damage to front suspension or even on some models, pop out the windshield. So I told my husband what I read, and every time I say something about it we end up . I tried to find some information in our owners manuel, and it said to be sure and read the instruction manuel before attempting to use the levelers. We don't have an instruction manuel, so we continue to I read about making a ramp, but until we can buy or make a ramp what is the correct way to level. Plus he doesn't want to carry a heavy ramp with us everywhere we go either. Does it have to be level, if we are not using it? All we have now is the square yellow hard plastic levelers we bought at camping world. But unless you raise the wheels off the ground you can't get them under the wheels. Will someone please explain the correct procedure for leveling a MOHO. I hate this but I don't want to damage anything out of ignorance either. Please

330 Cummins on Spartan Chassis
mottybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #2

I am back again with another beginner question. We have one leveler on the front and 2 in the back, a cyclops I believe it is called. We park on a slope at home and my husband has been raising the front up so far that the right wheel is off the ground, and it is still not level. I was reading on the thread about keeping the fridge level, and someone said you are not suppose to raise the wheels off the ground as it could cause damage to front suspension or even on some models, pop out the windshield. So I told my husband what I read, and every time I say something about it we end up . I tried to find some information in our owners manuel, and it said to be sure and read the instruction manuel before attempting to use the levelers. We don't have an instruction manuel, so we continue to I read about making a ramp, but until we can buy or make a ramp what is the correct way to level. Plus he doesn't want to carry a heavy ramp with us everywhere we go either. Does it have to be level, if we are not using it? All we have now is the square yellow hard plastic levelers we bought at camping world. But unless you raise the wheels off the ground you can't get them under the wheels. Will someone please explain the correct procedure for leveling a MOHO. I hate this but I don't want to damage anything out of ignorance either. Please

Old 04-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #3

4 topics down from yours

"Keeping the refrigerator level"

This should answer your questions
Old 04-23-2006, 05:27 AM   #4

All manuals caution about raising the tires off the ground . Your tri-pedial system is a good system. However, all the additional weight placed on the jack when the suspension is lifted is not good for it . The fridge, if it's running, should be within 3 degrees of level . If it's not running, it doesn't matter if it's level or not. The tires should be supported or at least resting on supports while the coach is in a raised position other than when the tires are being changed. I would assume your DH's ignorance about it, if that is the case, is based on some information he was privy to and has yet to share it with you . He's doing the best he can with what he has. At least that's what my DW keeps telling me

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
dlhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:23 AM   #5

As the previous poster stated, if the fridge is off and you are simply parking the motorhome it does not need to be level. The level is only critical to the fridge when it is in use.

If you can determine the manufacturer of the leveling system, you can go to their web site and likely find the user manual available for download. This is true for most of the appliances and systems in your motor home. I have been able to fill the void of several missing manuals that way. I have also located several service manuals and wiring diagrams by going to the manufacturer web site. Could your leveling system possibly be "Big Foot". If so it is produced by Quadra Manufacturing in Coldwater, Michigan. (BigFoot)
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #6

Just got back from a trip, left the fridge on because we will be leaving again in 1 1/2 weeks on another trip. We still have no ramps, really no time to build any. So the MOHO is parked, unlevel. My DH did not use the levelers as it will come off the ground in front, and still be unlevel. He read some of your posts and agreed not to jack it up off the ground. Now I am wondering, why does it have to be within 3 degrees for the fridge what will it do to the fridge, I hate to load and unload each time between trips, but I don't want to damage the fridge either. Are short periods(1 to 2 weeks) being unlevel acceptable for the fridge? If not which is the lesser of the 2 evils? Wheels off ground or unlevel fridge. I guess we need to put blocks under the front wheels and not worry about it, even though it will take at least 1'to 1 1/2' to get it close to level. Thanks for all the feedback and help, it is greatly appreciated. If I only had a level drive

Old 04-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldl not leave it unlevel for more than a very short time while operating. When on the road and we pull off and it will be unlevel for a spell, I shut the refrig down and restart it right before we pull out. As much as they cost, I would not chance it.

If you have to lift the front wheels off the ground to level, I suspect you are too far out of level to operate. The older units are more sensitive to being unlevel than the newer ones.

While on the road, you are constantly sloshing the liquids around in the unit, so it is never really out of level for long.

You need to go ahead and build the ramps/blocks for leveling and shut down the refrig until it is leveled...JMHO

Ken
Old 04-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #8

Thanks Ken, I will see if we can get it close to level. My DH is going to kill me, first I tell him not to raise it up, now I am going to ask him to raise it up. I can hear him know. I guess you guys are use to women constantly changing their minds. Thanks again.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The fridge can be damaged in a as little as a few hours if run while off-level. It's not guaranteed to be damaged in that fashion, but the risk is there and the risk increases with degree of off-level and the amount of time. So, don't pay any atention when somebody says "I ran it off level and nothoing bad happened". The rule of thumb for fridges built in the last 10 years is that if you are comfortable with the level of the rig while walking around, then the fridge is probably also comfortable while operating. BUt if you notice it is off-level while moving around, you should probably level it better.

Yes, the windshield can come out of its moldings if the front wheels are lifeted off the ground - or even nearly so. Again, it depends on a lot of variables, but it is not a good practice to lift the front end too far. DRIVE it up onto simple wooden blocks so as to keep a bit of weight on the front wheels/suspension. A piece of 2" wood board works fine - just make sure it is as wide as the tire and the tire rests fully on it - not hanging over the side. A 2 x 8 works for most RVs. Stack a couple if needed. I carry several pieces that are roughly 16-18 inches long, but we often go to places tat are raher uneven and need a lot of leveling. We also place boards under the jack legs when the ground is soft.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #10

Thanks everyone I went out and used 2 bags of levelers, I think there are 10 in each, and she is up a good 9 to 10 inches and still not perfectly level. I have levelers under the jack and the front wheels, if I let the jack off completely she goes way out of level again, so I split the load, some on wheels and some on jack. I did not want to go any higher with the plastic square levelers, it just did not look safe to me. I hope we can get some ramps made soon, before the fridge is damaged. It is almost level front to rear, but off more side to side, but not real bad. We really need some ramps, it's a lot of work if done a little at a time. Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mottybri,
I sent you a private message on this topic.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote