Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #43

Had Magna Shade several years ago on our Damon Tuscany (Full set - Front, sides and door. Sold the Damon, went with a 5th Wheel ..... mistake. Now have a 2011 Phaeton and will purchase new Magna Shade, loved them, had a dark brown and they work 100 percent. Great product.

CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 AM   #44

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I see how the screen goes up on the outside with magnets but what is on the inside attracting the magnets and how is that installed?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
I see how the screen goes up on the outside with magnets but what is on the inside attracting the magnets and how is that installed?
Some kind of super glue.

See this
Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #46
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The magnets come with some kind of "stickum" on the backside. You peel off the backing paper and carefully place the magnet where you need it. The magnets on the windshield cover will hold everything in place until the adhesive sets up. I think the company recommends you leave the cover up for at least 24 hours after the initial installation.

We're on our second set. They were installed by me and Magna Shade company owner Roger at the dealership (which was very close to their manufacturing facility) immediately after we took delivery.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For a motorhome windshield how many magnets do you use? Do they just run across the top or do they run down the sides also and do they stick on the glass itself?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
For a motorhome windshield how many magnets do you use? Do they just run across the top or do they run down the sides also and do they stick on the glass itself?
They also run down the sides but I cannot remember if there are a total of 8 or 9 magnets.

The inside magnets are stuck to the glass so never move. The outside magnets are in a pocket of the shade so there is fabric between the magnet and the glass.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #49
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The magnets run across the top and down the sides. I can't see the ones across the top, they are hidden behind the inside windshield blinds, kind of up behind the upper cabinets. There are only two down each side, one about in the middle and one down at the bottom. The ones in the middle are the only ones I can see. There are none across the bottom. In most coaches the windshield wipers hold down the bottom. In our coach the bottom of the shade tucks behind the front cap.

Anticipating your next question, we've never had it come off in high winds.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 02-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Which cuts more light, a white blind or a black one? The black one, of course. Same with a shade screen. The darker one keeps more light (heat) from making it through into the coach. The heat is absorbed by the screen but since it is outside the coach, that heat is then dissipated and most of it is kept from entering your coach interior.
From Magneshade:

I just got in from 5 weeks traveling did shows in California, Arizona and Texas, getting caught up with some of the emails.

Regarding the thread you sent me. All shade fabric regardless of color will be very efficient at reducing heat, the u.v. value is directly related to the open factor of the fabric i.e.: 10% open reduces u.v. by 90%, however black or dark fabrics grab more u.v. and heat than a light colored fabric absorbing it before it enters the glass and then disapating heat into the atmosphere . Light colored fabrics glow like a light bulb in direct sun where the dark fabrics don't. The major benefits of the dark fabrics far out way a light colored shade. 1. you have a clearer and better view out 2. dark fabrics don't show the black run off from the roof. We always recommend the black or dark brown fabrics to our customers. Recently in Quartzsite I was measuring my fabric temp against my dash temps with a laser. At about 72 degrees ambient in direct sun my fabric hit as high as 145 degrees, while my dash board was measuring about 79-81 degrees (cool to the touch), made a lot of believers out there after seeing for themselves that dark fabrics are the way to go. I hope that helps with the questions, and appreciate the opportunity to answer with our own experience. Regards, Roger
Old 03-01-2015, 06:58 AM   #51

I installed my MagneShade yesterday. Holy cow those magnets are strong!
I really like the looks of the shade and can't wait to try it out this summer when it is warm and sunny.

The only question I have is how do you guys store yours? I have the bag and it says to roll them pocket side out. Does that mean roll them with the exterior side of the shade out? I assume you stack all three together and then roll.
And where do you place them to roll? I hate to lay it on the ground if camping in a rocky/sandy area.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have five MSs. They stay rolled on two pieces of PVC....I drape them over a picnic table and then roll them.

From MS:

"Always roll your shades outside facing out, never fold them.''
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #53

I put it on a picnic table if available and roll it up on a pool noodle. If no table DW and I can do it freehand but it isn't pretty.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After rolling them up, insert them in a tube like a map or fishing rod.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #55
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you order a new set of shades they'll come with a nice carrying case.

Roger showed me a trick for folding the big windshield shade. Let the magnets on one end of it stick to the side of my Jeep, I can then neatly fold/roll the rest of it in toward the Jeep.

2017 GMC Acadia toad