Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #1

Question about MagneShade

I know the site says during the day one can see out of the motorhome but it is very difficult to almost impossible for people to see in while the MagneShade is installed.

We have front windshield curtains so the question I have is will they still need to be pulled shut to help block the sun from heating the interior?

I do know at night things change and the curtains need to be pulled because people can then see in with the interior lights on.

I really enjoy being able to see out of the windshield while camping, but want to cut down on the interior sauna affect. I am hoping the MagneShade allows me to see out while making the interior temps much more tolerable.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I know the site says during the day one can see out of the motorhome but it is very difficult to almost impossible for people to see in while the MagneShade is installed.

We have front windshield curtains so the question I have is will they still need to be pulled shut to help block the sun from heating the interior?

I do know at night things change and the curtains need to be pulled because people can then see in with the interior lights on.

I really enjoy being able to see out of the windshield while camping, but want to cut down on the interior sauna affect. I am hoping the MagneShade allows me to see out while making the interior temps much more tolerable.
We absolutely love our Magneshade. It really does cut down the heat from the sun tremendously. Occasionally we will pull the night shade down just a tad during the day depending on the angle of the sun but for the most part the magneshade really knocks out a lot of heat. We love it for the privacy also and being able to see out while people can not see in. The magnets also make it very easy to install and take down. I do it by myself. I know this sounds like a magneshade commercial but we love it that much and recommend to all of our friends.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Any shade that blocks the sun on the outside of the coach will be MUCH more effective than screens inside the coach. Keep the solar heat out before it gets in.

I have some shades made for my coach by a local tent and awning dealer in the Rio Grande Valley. Love what they do but have grown to really dislike installation, especially after jacks are deployed.

I was thinking Magna Shade before but went with what I have to save $$$. IMHO...BIG MISTAKE.

I'm working on ordering the Magna Shades.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

The Magneshade really seriously cuts down the heat plus in cold weather it somewhat reduces the cold.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

We have Magneshades on our coach and absolutely love them. I had them on my previous coach ('08 Monaco Knight), which also had an interior shade made of a similar material. I order the exterior shades for that coach because a tremendous amount of heat built up between the interior shade and the windshield when parked directly in the sun. The exterior shade keeps a lot of that heat on the outside.

When we upgraded last summer to our '08 Dynasty, I didn't hesitate to order another set of Magneshades. Also, must say Roger Hunckler was awesome to work with. I had some installation challenges due to a ceiling header along the Dynasty windshield and was surprised that Roger answered his cell phone on Labor Day weekend to walk me through some suggestions to get them installed. That kind of customer service is rare.
rbasham72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post

Greetings from Colorado, The Mile High State!!!! We have had the Magna Shades for out Palazzo for almost two years and have used them extensively. One of the best purchases we have made for our MH. We bought the exterior front and side shades because they are most effective when on the exterior. They make a huge difference in preventing the heat from entering the coach interior. Roger Hunckler at Magna Shade convinced me that the darker colored shades prevent heat buildup better than the lighter colored shade fabrics. Sounds contrary to what dark colors do in the summer heat but he is correct. We got the dark brown shades trimmed in a tweed beige color - they look great. When we park and set up the shades are usually the first things to go up. They are so easy to put up and take down. Hint - to store the shades roll them up in one of those foam swimming noodles sold at Wal-Mart. This eliminates fold creases when installing after storing. Hope this helps. ers
ERStarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStarck View Post
... Hint - to store the shades roll them up in one of those foam swimming noodles sold at Wal-Mart. This eliminates fold creases when installing after storing. Hope this helps. ers
Never thought of that but I have those creases on my current shades.

Has anyone not done something like this and found the creases didn't smooth out after a few days of use?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Magna Shades are perfect...other than being a little pricey...I have five of them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
The Magneshade really seriously cuts down the heat plus in cold weather it somewhat reduces the cold.
Now this is a twist I never thought of.
We tailgate quite a lot during the colder months in PA.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do pull my front curtain at the very hottest part of the day and then at night..great product!!! GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have MagneShade front and side curtains and they are great.
The side curtains are inside and can be folded to suit driving conditions.

The curtains work so well I got the tire covers. Roger says the biggest problem with tire covers is that people forget and drive away with them still on. Once an RV tech was looking at my wheels and said he never saw tires like that without any markings. He was surprised he was looking at tire covers.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
I have MagneShade front and side curtains and they are great.

Once an RV tech was looking at my wheels and said he never saw tires like that without any markings. He was surprised he was looking at tire covers.
Now there is an RV tech I would not allow near my Rig.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStarck View Post
Roger Hunckler at Magna Shade convinced me that the darker colored shades prevent heat buildup better than the lighter colored shade fabrics. Sounds contrary to what dark colors do in the summer heat but he is correct.
Can someone explain this to me? I would think exactly the opposite: LIGHT colored shades would prevent heat buildup better than dark.

A black (or dark colored) shade mounted on the front of the coach, outside the windshield, sitting in the sun is going to get VERY hot. And since the windshield is single-pane, it isn't very good at preventing the transfer of that heat from the dark, hot shade into the inside of the coach.

A white shade mounted on the front of the coach shouldn't get as hot... and therefore wouldn't transfer as much heat into the RV.

I'd be interested to know what Roger's explanation was as to why the dark is better than white/light shade fabric.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
Can someone explain this to me? I would think exactly the opposite: LIGHT colored shades would prevent heat buildup better than dark.

A black (or dark colored) shade mounted on the front of the coach, outside the windshield, sitting in the sun is going to get VERY hot. And since the windshield is single-pane, it isn't very good at preventing the transfer of that heat from the dark, hot shade into the inside of the coach.

A white shade mounted on the front of the coach shouldn't get as hot... and therefore wouldn't transfer as much heat into the RV.

I'd be interested to know what Roger's explanation was as to why the dark is better than white/light shade fabric.
Very good question, especially since I wondered the same thing.
The only thing I can figure is that the light colored shade would let more infrared pass through to heat the windshield and interior while the dark soaks it all up so the shade warms up but does not pass the heat into the coach.

Sound like smoke and mirrors? Well, maybe, but they work is the bottom line from my perspective. Send an email to Roger and see if he gives a better explanation.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote