Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys.....the more I think about this, an inspection of the jack is next on the list.

At this point I am not even sure if the pin is only needed when retracting the jacks.
Son says they always break when he is getting ready to come home.

So the problem may be related to how the jacks retract (limit switch was mentioned).

Thanks again, will post what I find.

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I had a similar issue on a scissor jack on the rear of our fifth wheel. The pin that went through the threaded part of the jack broke and I replaced it with a cotter pin. It lasted about three cycles before the cotter pin would get cut in half. More if I put a lot of pressure on the jack. The only thing I found that was hard enough was a small philips screw driver, but I couldn't secure it in the hole.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #17

If it is shearing the pin something is very wrong.

Do NOT place a better pin as something more expensive WILL break.

Consider that pin the sacrifice part meant to break like the soft key holding the flywheel on lawnmower engines.

Get the jack in your hands and determine the fault.

Clearly the stop indication is not hapening.

Look for limit switch or if by current check brushes or ???

Do some troubleshooting.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If it is shearing the pin something is very wrong.

Do NOT place a better pin as something more expensive WILL break.

Consider that pin the sacrifice part meant to break like the soft key holding the flywheel on lawnmower engines.

Get the jack in your hands and determine the fault.

Clearly the stop indication is not hapening.

Look for limit switch or if by current check brushes or ???

Do some troubleshooting.
Picking the jack up today. Will post some pictures of what I find.

Thanks for sme great suggestions....I had a feeling there were some experts on this forum...

Dan.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Started a new thread with proper topic since it is now a jack repair issue...

Atwood level legs teardown story

The thread had photos, but bottom line, I believe the slip-clutch went bad and is not releasing properly, causing the pin to shear.

AND, making a hardened pin was not good because the coupler is also hardened....

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #20

Keep in mind, you want the least expensive, easiest to replace part to break first! There is a reason this particular pin breaks. I agree with TQ60.
If you want the toughest steel, brake-die steel is it.
I once had a 5er that would shear the pins in the slide mechanism 2/3 times a year. I carried 1/2 dozen stove bolts(ungraded) in my tool box, took 15 minutes to replace. Never did have to replace the $$$ motor though.
If you are heat-treating your pins, hold them to Rockwell C 48-50, but as we said, something expensive will break later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady_Rest View Post
I spent 40 years in various machine shops but still have a lot to learn. You seem to be approaching this problem very well, the same as I would. I also agree having the jack would be very beneficial, it may have a story to tell. You will succeed because of your perseverance.

Kevin
I was a toolmaker for Westinghouse in another life. You NEVER quit learning or you fade-away.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
dpinvicdic, sounds like you have your problem pretty much solved. I thought I might add my 2cents to this thread. When hardening drill rod you have to temper that is bring it back after hardening or it will be too hard and will snap easily. Dowel pins have a softer core and are tougher. In hard material they can be sheared off, in softer material they distort and mangle the hole. When I need a odd size pin I use drill blanks. They basically dowel pins in drill sizes. They are available in jobber length, letter, fractional and number sizes. This way I can make the hole fit the pin if it ends up odd sized. I do harden o1 and other steels but I find its a pain and messy. I hope this added info helps.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsides View Post
dpinvicdic, sounds like you have your problem pretty much solved. I thought I might add my 2cents to this thread. When hardening drill rod you have to temper that is bring it back after hardening or it will be too hard and will snap easily. Dowel pins have a softer core and are tougher. In hard material they can be sheared off, in softer material they distort and mangle the hole. When I need a odd size pin I use drill blanks. They basically dowel pins in drill sizes. They are available in jobber length, letter, fractional and number sizes. This way I can make the hole fit the pin if it ends up odd sized. I do harden o1 and other steels but I find its a pain and messy. I hope this added info helps.
Yes, that is what I have recently learned. I had failed to do that, and probably got pin the too hot in addtdtion to not tempering.

The jack gas now opperated 20 times without a problem with a pin made from a bolt.
also bought some dowel pins, but will need to grind them down because they are .250 and I need .220.

Thanks for those tips.

Dan