Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If you aren't moving it, get a 5th wheel or TT.

Barb
Been looking for a dually truck and slide in camper for under 27,000 and cann't find it. What I found out duallys that are 10,000 or 15,000 dollars are old like in 2001-2009 year range has tons of miles. My slide-in which I have found costs 10,000 and is a Arctic Fox and it's weight is 2800 lbs and company that makes it told me to use a dually truck because it's top heavy. I was wanting to stay under 27,000 for everything.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #16

Sounds like you are not going to move it. You can get an ok used 5th wheel and pay to have it delivered and still have a little bit left over. Or even a park model trailer would work for you.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Been looking for a dually truck and slide in camper for under 27,000 and cann't find it. What I found out duallys that are 10,000 or 15,000 dollars are old like in 2001-2009 year range has tons of miles. My slide-in which I have found costs 10,000 and is a Arctic Fox and it's weight is 2800 lbs and company that makes it told me to use a dually truck because it's top heavy. I was wanting to stay under 27,000 for everything.
How did we go from a motorhome to a truck camper? A 5th wheel or travel travel, used, can be had for the money you are talking about, and moved to your location, set up and you will have money left over. No need for a truck - there are firms that move these things all over the country.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #18

We are fulltime. With taxes and utilities and sych on the house we sold, we are traveling for FREE.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Sounds like you are not going to move it. You can get an ok used 5th wheel and pay to have it delivered and still have a little bit left over. Or even a park model trailer would work for you.
I would agree. If you're really not going to move it I would look at a used 5th wheel and ad it delivered. Class A's need movement and will have higher maintenance costs with the engine.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
'Lord, Mr. Ford' (Jerry Reed) - YouTube

This is about a car. but it fits Motor homes as well if you adjust the numbers.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #21

Explain the statement that the 'MH would not be used for camping but to live in'.

I guess when a few of us read it we thought it would not be moved. Do you mean 'Full Time' when you say live in it? If so, that makes sense. 'Not used for camping'. This statement should have been left out.

Not used for camping implies you will never be in a camp ground. When I full time I will be in camp grounds with campers. My rig will look just like some campers. I will consider myself as a camper. Just a full time camper.

Sorry if I mis-understood.

Anyway - you can buy a nice used gas powered truck with a cap, then buy a nice used travel trailer. My friend just bought a clean 2005 Ram Hemi for 9K.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #22

I will park it for 6 months and live in it or more and I have friends that will let me park it on their property. One is free electric hook-up because a business pays for it.

Thanks, Bob
Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wildbob52,
Per your last post, really consider a 5th wheel RV. Of all the RV choices, one can not beat a 5th wheel for living space. Have it delivered. You'll have several months to find a tow vehicle.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Wildbob52,
Per your last post, really consider a 5th wheel RV. Of all the RV choices, one can not beat a 5th wheel for living space. Have it delivered. You'll have several months to find a tow vehicle.
Your right I will buy a 5th wheel trailer and try to get one for all year round living. Maybe a small 5th wheel like something under 30 ft. Driving myself crazy looking for a tow vehicle and need to wait and take my time.

Thanks, Bob
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #25

I agree with GaryKD. No need for a truck right away. Get the 5th wheel and pay a friend of a friend to move it to your site. Sounds like you want a smaller 5th wheel. KZ Durango makes a small trailer. For living in it I recommend one with opposing slides in the living area. Again KZ builds the Spree and Durango lines.

What area of the country will you be living?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #26

Forgot to mention - if you get a small trailer they are easy to tow with a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I agree with GaryKD. No need for a truck right away. Get the 5th wheel and pay a friend of a friend to move it to your site. Sounds like you want a smaller 5th wheel. KZ Durango makes a small trailer. For living in it I recommend one with opposing slides in the living area. Again KZ builds the Spree and Durango lines.

What area of the country will you be living?
Tennessee and Michigan near Ann Arbor.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52

Tennessee and Michigan near Ann Arbor.
Funny - I saw what is the cost of Motorhome and - Tennessee and Michigan on my iPhone. Arm and Leg yes, but TN & MI is just too much!
Happy Holidays.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome