Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

Question, What is the cost of owning a motorhome?

Never owned a motorhome and what is cost of owning this?

Thanks, Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Somewhere between reasonable and everything depending on what you want.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Too broad a question to give an answer. Milasman said it right. No matter what you do, its not cheap.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Never owned a motorhome and what is cost of owning this?

Thanks, Bob
Your question needs refinement. We have a front engine diesel and budget $2500 per year for maintenance. In addition, you have depreciation, taxes, registration, and insurance to consider. Taxes, registration, and insurance will vary depending on where you live and what kind of motorhome you have. If you finance your purchase, the cost of borrowed money can be significant. Tires will need replaced every 5-7 years at $3000 - $4000. Storage may also be a cost. Variable costs such as campground fees and fuel would also be variable costs. If you own an older unit, there may be renovation costs.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wildbob52,
Can you provide more information? Do you want included:
1. cost of the asset
2. routine maintenance
3. travel costs (fuel, CGs, etc)
4. entertainment (what do you like to do?)
5. eating out (how often?)
6. how many nights a year in the coach
7. how many miles per year will one travel?

Provide some details of your vision of your RV life and we may be able to provide some estimates on cost.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary #5 in this thread said it correctly. Need more information. My 3905 Newmar costs 51 cents a mile for fuel, 800.00 a year for the required insurance, another 1800.00 a year for my extended warranty, every PM cost me 250 to 300 dollars and I do it every 6000 miles. Tires were 5000.00 this year with the alignment and new shocks. Add all my overnights on the road at 33.00 average. As you can see, it all adds up. We are not talking about depreciation on the motorhome as it is not important until you try to sell one. I enjoy every minute I spend in my Newmar and it will be the last thing I give up (except my guns) when the time comes. Enjoy life, you are going to spend a long time in that box.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We bought our 49DP new in 2007 and our expenses are about $2000/month if we don't drive it. If we drive it, add about fifty cents per mile and $35/night for CG.

It can certainly be done more cheaply but these are our costs.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My experience is that maintenance and repairs cost multiples of $300.
chasmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wildbob52,

Here is my information for 2012. Total cost was $7200 for 7500 miles of travel over 81 camping nights. This includes all maintenance, fuel, tolls, and camping fees, less insurance, mortgage, and registrations. That is $0.96/mile or $89/night. My results in 2011 were similar. Hope this helps with what I think your asking. JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #10

The motorhome will be used to live in only and not be used for camping.

This is want I'm looking into now 1997 Holiday Rambler 35 ft Motorcoach. 454 Chevy Motor with 49,000 easy miles, excellent shape, brand new Michelin tires, new converter,onan generator, cd/dvd player, queen bed with memory foam. New upholstrey, carpet, flooring. Comes fully loaded with dishes, linens, pillows, etc. Enjoyed it but no longer need it. Ready for an adventure! price is 10,000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and another motorhome I'm trying to get for 27,000 cash is 2003 Holiday Rambler TRAVELER 29RBD - $31999

Pre Owned 2003 Holiday Rambler TRAVELER 29RBD Class A Gas, (no special license needed to operate.) 2 Slides. Pictures shown have the slide "out". Full use floor plan. Bed drops down from ceiling so during the day 100% of the coach is "usable". Coach has only 21,000 miles and is in Great Shape. Just reduced from $37,995. Stock number CH66611.

Thanks, Bob
Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #11

Bob,

FYI, the Holiday Rambler TRAVELER 29RBD is really a "brand labelled", lower content, Safari TREK as produced by Monaco after they bought Safari. The 29RBD model name is the same as a TREK.

Quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and another motorhome I'm trying to get for 27,000 cash is 2003 Holiday Rambler TRAVELER 29RBD - $31999

Pre Owned 2003 Holiday Rambler TRAVELER 29RBD Class A Gas, (no special license needed to operate.) 2 Slides. Pictures shown have the slide "out". Full use floor plan. Bed drops down from ceiling so during the day 100% of the coach is "usable". Coach has only 21,000 miles and is in Great Shape. Just reduced from $37,995. Stock number CH66611.

Thanks, Bob
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #12

Have you ever saw the movie "Money Pit"? That should answer the basic question of "how much?". It is a bottomless pit of maintenance,fuel, wants, fuel, desires, fuel, and did I mention the dreaded fuel stops...

Other than the constant drain on the pocketbook and depreciation on the initial investment and the constant maintenance they are great fun. Of all of my past hobbies such as the Corvette, Harley, Lance Camper, and so forth, my motor home is the best...nothing like getting on the road and exploring new (to us) places. Taking the living room camping and having a "toad" is like they say "You ain't lackin' if your Cadillacin" RVing is Cadillacin at its finest...IMO.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

This is want I'm looking into now 1997 Holiday Rambler 35 ft Motorcoach. 454 Chevy Motor with 49,000 easy miles, excellent shape, brand new Michelin tires, new converter,onan generator, cd/dvd player, queen bed with memory foam. New upholstrey, carpet, flooring. Comes fully loaded with dishes, linens, pillows, etc. Enjoyed it but no longer need it. Ready for an adventure! price is 10,000

Thanks, Bob
Bob, if your not going to move it, get a 5er. MH are made to MOVE!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman
Somewhere between reasonable and everything depending on what you want.
Wait a minute. You found reasonable somewhere?

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome