Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver
If I recall correctly, there is an RV rating guide that is supposed to be impartial. If my recollections are even close then I also think you had to pay for that service.

Does anyone know what I speak of and if so, what the heck was the name of that service/publication?
I think the guide you're talking about came up in a search I did. I'll try to find it again and buy it.

I take it from your name and picture you flew 105's?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
We have had Class A's, Class C's, travel trailers, pop ups and 5th wheels. For us the 5er makes sense for long term use. Problem with a motorhome is is you have a chassis problem, the whole house goes to the shop for repairs. With a trailer, the road service will take the truck to a repair center and the trailer to a campground. You can rent a car for a couple of days.

I would never buy a motorhome used in rental service. It is unbelievable what the renters do to these units. It is not theirs, so they abuse them.

Ken
Thanks. That is a good point that I hadn't thought of.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When someone talks about buying from a RV rental center, I can't get the movie RV out of my head. I laugh just thinking about it, because they did not purposely abuse the motorhome, but I could see someone never having any experience, renting one and doing lots of damage unwittingly.

If you haven't seen the movie RV, with Robin Williams, go rent it before you buy.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do the rental units offer a check-out period?
Regardless of source, you run risks. Dealers may not know the units, but they may (or may not) be able to help if little things come up.
I prefer private sellers myself and try to sort out the educated from the uneducated and the honest from the not-so-willing to disclose. The checklist will help, but there are lots of things that can go wrong and there are lots of things to check, usually several hours is necessary to get a handle on most systems.

I buy used and only used. We are fairly low usage and it doesn't make sense for us to eat the deprecation of a new MH. Even the new ones seem to have out-of-factory issues that need to get sorted out. To me, having a vehicle that is already 50-80% depreciated takes away the financial hit, so I'm willing to deal with a few things here and there that need to be fixed....
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I hear about rental units I think about what my son told me about him and some of his fraternity brothers at UNLV.

My son said they rented an RV for Spring Break and it was trashed by the time they returned it. I was glad that it wasn't rented in his name.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
My wife and I have been married 16 years and gone thru 8 RVs. We actually have fun buying and trading. Have fun on the search make it a game leave the stress out of the adventure. Good luck
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #21

You sound like me, I go back and forth second guessing myself all the time. We recently decided to shop around for a used MH to take on a trip across Canada. We have a 2006 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper that I LOVE, and had planned on taking that on the trip, but my husband saw a friends MH at work and got onto the kick of how much nicer it would make our trip without having to get in and out of he truck and hook up stairs ect.

Well we looked at several used units and then would talk ourselves out of buying one. The last one we looked at was very appealing, but we got home and decided to stay with the camper, until the next day when my husband came home from work and said no, lets do this. So, we did.

We have had the MH for a week now, and used it last weekend. It`s quite nice, and I know it will make the upcoming trip across Canada a nice one.

The thing is, you will make up your mind several times, and then change it, I think that is a normal process, especially when money is an issue and we want to make the right choice. My advice to you is to go with your gut, you will know when it`s the right unit, it will just feel right. Dont ignore that feeling, because if it feels right, it is. If you have reservations when you buy, you will always have those reservations. At least that`s been my personal experience.

We looked at the x-rentals and considered them, dont let the horror stories of abusive renters scare you off. The biggest thing with those is to make sure you inspect them throughly and look for evidence of damage. The motorhomes are very well maintained, they have to be. They dont sell them because of their milage or any damage, they sell them a few months before the factory warrenty expires, giving you a few months of warrenty coverage.

Good Luck on your quest
Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #22

Well, we finally made the decision. We bought a 2007 Gulf Stream Conquest W6254SD. We flew to Denver on Friday and picked it up and took it to Ft. Collins for the weekend. So far we like it. It has fairly low miles but the longer I spend it it I find signs it has been used more than the miles indicate. The are some issues I didn't find before we bought it but nothing big. I still have lots to learn about using and maintaining it. And I have to figure out how which way I'm going to tow my toad.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyL
Well, we finally made the decision. We bought a 2007 Gulf Stream Conquest W6254SD. We flew to Denver on Friday and picked it up and took it to Ft. Collins for the weekend. So far we like it. It has fairly low miles but the longer I spend it it I find signs it has been used more than the miles indicate. The are some issues I didn't find before we bought it but nothing big. I still have lots to learn about using and maintaining it. And I have to figure out how which way I'm going to tow my toad.
Congratulations! Consider all those issues maintenance related. Once you catch up you will be good. As far as towing check out Blue Ox towing equipment.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #24

Good luck with your new RV. Many people think of high milage as a negative on RV's. One has to put this in perspective. For example: a heavy diesel engine wih a similar equipped power train are about half life without major repairs at 500,000 miles. This is not the case for a gasser but unlike in a car purchase, Most RV's never get to this stage and from my experience, an RV that is used, but well take care of, is often better than one that is parked and not used.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sky_boss, I think you are looking for RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs . There stuff looks pretty good but as I understand it they do not actually test drive or visit every factory so keep that in mind.

I joined and bought and think it is quite useful.

Larry

AF 30U

Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote