Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Questions on buying used MH

Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum and very new to RVing. I'm still trying to decide what to purchase. I know there are pros and cons to all the types of RV's but I seem to keep coming back to thinking a MH makes the most sense for me.

I've been looking at the used ones that Cruise America sells. I know they are high mileage, but it seems to me that with the maintenance they get, the refurbishing before selling, and the warranty they might be a good deal. I've searched the forums and found a 2 year thread about buying from Cruise America but there was no followup on whether they bought one or not. Does anyone have any experience with buying one of these?

Thanks,
Randy
__________________

__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
trackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
If you did not like homework in school you will certainly fail at this endeavor. I learned the hard way. Never take for granted that everyone is honest and up front about RV's and systems. Always see it work and understand how it works. If the seller does not have time to cover everything(and you have to know what they need to cover) move on. There are a lot of reputable dealers and private sellers out there. It is up to you to find them. Now that that harsh opening is out of the way,If you do your homework you will know what type unit you want to buy,what equipment needs to be on it and the service needs of the unit. Good luck and Happy Camping!!!!
__________________

__________________
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
I've been researching this for months now. I've driven away all my RVing friends because I've asked so many questions. I've read everything I can get my hands on and I've gone full circle 3 times now, TT, 5th Wheel, MH, and Truck Camper. I'm right back where I started, just as undecided as ever. My general attitude about any large purchase or business deal is trust but verify. When do I get to start having fun? So far it has been a lot of work and I don't own an RV yet.
__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
jfran304's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 2,489
Hi Randy,

If I was going to buy a used RV I would look at the private sellers.

1. They tend to maintain their RV's better than places like Cruise America. Cruise America RV's catch a lot of abuse from renters, some intentional and some from ignorance.

2. Here in GA if you purchase from a private individual there is no sales tax.

3. With a private seller most of them will be glad to take the time to explain how everything works and be available later if you have any questions.

The main thing is to find one that will fill your requirements that the wife likes.

Good Luck,
Jon
__________________
Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Go Dawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,051
Dealing with a TT or 5th wheel you need to have a TV that can handle the size and weight. If you don't already own at least a 3/4 truck then you are looking to add that expense and decision to your purchase. You sound to me that you are overthinking this. You will never know everthing you need to know. That comes from someone who spent over 30 years in the business world. I use to teach my managers to get the information and make a decision.

As for buying rental RV's I personally wouldn't do it because they were probably abused (as most rentals are). Find a local dealer or private party and make your move before summer is over. I am assuming that you have family and taking them out is more important than making a small mistake. I lost 1 family while they were growing up because I didn't make time for them. Now I make time for my new family.

Good Luck
Arnold
__________________
Arnold
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
navychaps's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 739
Randy,

My first MH was a former rental (purchased directly from rental company). I had it for three years, crossed the U.S. coast to coast without one hour of down time. Rentals get a bad rap from folks who have never owned them. Many rentals are available from RV dealers so don't fail to look at local rental fleets. They are a great and very inexpensive way to get your feet wet. If I still had that rig I would not hesitate to hit the road tomorrow for some far away shore. The only reason I traded to a Class A was because I am presently living full time in my rig (it's a Navy thing). Do your research and then find a rig (new, used, rental) that fits your needs then hit the road and enjoy the heck out of it!

Fred
__________________
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Dealing with a TT or 5th wheel you need to have a TV that can handle the size and weight. If you don't already own at least a 3/4 truck then you are looking to add that expense and decision to your purchase. You sound to me that you are overthinking this. You will never know everthing you need to know. That comes from someone who spent over 30 years in the business world. I use to teach my managers to get the information and make a decision.

As for buying rental RV's I personally wouldn't do it because they were probably abused (as most rentals are). Find a local dealer or private party and make your move before summer is over. I am assuming that you have family and taking them out is more important than making a small mistake. I lost 1 family while they were growing up because I didn't make time for them. Now I make time for my new family.

Good Luck
Arnold
Thanks Arnold. My kids are on their own now so it's just my wife and I but I need to make a decision and get on with life. I'm going to use the RV for fun and for work. I work out of town and am gone 3 nights a week. Every time I think I've made a decision something else comes up. I'm an engineer so you're right I do over think things.
__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Randy,

My first MH was a former rental (purchased directly from rental company). I had it for three years, crossed the U.S. coast to coast without one hour of down time. Rentals get a bad rap from folks who have never owned them. Many rentals are available from RV dealers so don't fail to look at local rental fleets. They are a great and very inexpensive way to get your feet wet. If I still had that rig I would not hesitate to hit the road tomorrow for some far away shore. The only reason I traded to a Class A was because I am presently living full time in my rig (it's a Navy thing). Do your research and then find a rig (new, used, rental) that fits your needs then hit the road and enjoy the heck out of it!

Fred

Fred thanks for the reply. I will live in whatever I buy 3 nights a week since I work out of town. I will also use it for vacations. I live in the middle of the country and have a son in California and sister and aunts in Georgia so it will get plenty of use. One consideration is since I will be using it year round I need something that can handle some cold weather. I've found a few TT that meet that requirement but so far haven't found that kind of info for MH.
__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Hi Randy,

If I was going to buy a used RV I would look at the private sellers.

1. They tend to maintain their RV's better than places like Cruise America. Cruise America RV's catch a lot of abuse from renters, some intentional and some from ignorance.

2. Here in GA if you purchase from a private individual there is no sales tax.

3. With a private seller most of them will be glad to take the time to explain how everything works and be available later if you have any questions.

The main thing is to find one that will fill your requirements that the wife likes.

Good Luck,
Jon
Thanks Jon. Unfortunately I live in Kansas and will have to pay sales tax when I register it no matter where I buy it.

One of the things I've learned is that many private owners do maintain them well but many also let them sit for months or years with no use before they sell so they dry rot.

Randy
__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 168
RandyL,
The problem sir is that you are an engineer, we have a couple in our family and man can they ware it out! Of course I am kidding (kind of).
I too agonizied over my recent purchase, was glad when it was over and am still not certain that I made the right choice, but I have stopped looking back and am looking forward. Put that analytical mind to work, look at your needs, wants, and get the closest thing that matches them, then buy it, and enjoy it.
__________________
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,753
Welcome RandyL to irv2.
Here are some links found in New Rig Showoff forum that may help give you some ideas on new or old.
I have had new and old purchases and found them helpful.
You need wife involved and what most will agree on is floor-plan,floor-plan.
It is a adventure but you all ready are finding that out, just some more homework and you will be glad you did.
Good luck and do not get discouraged.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
FW5000DRIVER's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 259
Smile

Do a search on the Internet for RV buying checklist. Print it out and take it with you when you are looking at motorhomes. I did that.
__________________
2000 Four Winds 5000 Model 28A
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FW5000DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,150
Blog Entries: 21
We have had Class A's, Class C's, travel trailers, pop ups and 5th wheels. For us the 5er makes sense for long term use. Problem with a motorhome is is you have a chassis problem, the whole house goes to the shop for repairs. With a trailer, the road service will take the truck to a repair center and the trailer to a campground. You can rent a car for a couple of days.

I would never buy a motorhome used in rental service. It is unbelievable what the renters do to these units. It is not theirs, so they abuse them.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,068
If I recall correctly, there is an RV rating guide that is supposed to be impartial. If my recollections are even close then I also think you had to pay for that service.

Does anyone know what I speak of and if so, what the heck was the name of that service/publication?
__________________

__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.