Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Has any one had a problem w/downshifting in cruise control, while going over small overpasses. I u
Yes 2 40.00%
No 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2005, 05:23 AM   #1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2005, 05:23 AM   #2

Old 07-22-2005, 05:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Reggie,

I see you're fairly new to IRV2. Welcome.

I fixed your poll. You didn't have any "Yes" or "No" boxes. That makes it pretty hard to answer.

I'd suggest that you add a bit more information. What kind of RV do you have? Are you having problems? Any RV will eventually downshift on an incline. It depends upon how heavy it is, how much power it has, how steep the grade is, etc. A little more info might give you some better results. You may want to add your RV info to your signature line. That way you won't have to enter it every time you post.

Again, welcome to the forum. I'm sure that with the right questions you'll get the answers you are looking for from all the helpful members here.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's not clear there is anything to "fix". By using cruise control you have instructed the vehicle to maintain a constant speed. Climbing a hill, even a small overpass, slows you down momentarily, so the cruise feeds more fuel to the engine. Depending on the current speed, loads, etc, that will often result in a downshift to accelerate.

It's common for a gear transition to occur around 55 mph, especially a shift to/from overdrive. Cruising at around 55 mph puts you right at the shift point, so a small grade can casue a shift. I suppose the tranny could be re-programmed to move the shift point, but that would probably be an overall negative, effecting fuel economy and performance across a range of conditions.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #5

Sorry for the confusion. I have a 2002 Damon Intruder on a workhorse w22 frame. Powered by the 8.1 engine w/allison 1000 transmission. I realize the unit will downshift when the unit demands it but I heard workhorse has a fix for this. When in cruise, it dosen't take much of a grade to activate the shifting. When you start up the overpass I have to depress the gas just a little to prevent the activation. Just wandered if anyone else had the problem and got it fixed??
Old 07-22-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Reggie, welcome to irv2
I have use the cruise most of the time on a open highway I just sit back and steer. The cruise will up an down shift just as smooth as you could want set at about 60 mph. I have been amazed how long it will hold in 5th on a long up grade, on the down grade it will hold at speed set unless a steep grade than I cut overdrive an engine will brake slowing coach down. They say the compute learns your driving habits I don't know if that includes the cruise also. WH can adjust shift points if something is wrong. Have you complained about this before, they may cover under warrenty if you have. Good luck "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

My last coach was a 2003 Suncruiser with the 8.1 engine and Allison 1000. I found that when i was doing slower speeds (around 55) and I came to a slight grade, the cruise control would allow the engine to lug down until it lost about 2 mph, then downshift into 4th gear. I found that when doing these same grades at 70 mph it would just power up the hill. That's because the engine makes more power at higher RPM and at 55 mph the revs were low enough that it needed more revs to make it up the hill.

If I was travelling in hilly country I'd generally switch off the overdrive switch and just run with 4 gears, especially out west. If you still think that your coach is prematurely downshifting you can have Workhorse look at it and possibly reflash the tranny control module just to make sure everything is OK on that end. There is a 3 year warranty on the chassis.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

At 55 mph you are sitting right on the shift point and it is easy to trigger. At 70 you have ample power PLUS a long way to go before a downshift makes sense.

Reggie, what speed does your "problem" occur at? Form what you have described so far, your rig is functioning at it should.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #9

Generally when I place it on cruise, I'm going about 63 to 64 mph. I always kick off cruise when I go up a grade. I found out I get my best mpg at 64 than 55 to 58 mph. I will call workhorse in the morning and find out more info.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #10
PDB

This may be slightly off-topic, but it seems to me when I am running with CC on, and a downshift occurs, it is a lot rougher shift than if I were to manually downshift. Why is that?
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not an expert on this, but it seems to me that when you leave the CC on going up a hill, the computer will try to maintain the set speed by advancing the throttle to max. When the set speed can no longer be maintained by increased throttle, a downshift happens, and at the increased throttle setting the shift may appear or actually be rougher. That's why I think its a good idea to get out of OD and CC when hitting a hill.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
My experience with my old unit, a W-22 also, was to flip the overdrive switch off just as the power demand was starting to increase for an upcoming grade. It was smooth and I lost very little in the way of speed. A much more enjoyable ride for all that way.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #13

Well, I found out some news from a WH repair shop. The tranny is set to downshift when there is a 3 mph drop in speed while in CC. I have to take it to the WH shop and have them test drive it to find the problem. If there is one they will send me to the Allison shop to flash the computer then bring it back to WH so they can flash the engine computer. If WH detetermines there is a problem, then it covered under warrenty otherwise I pay the bill. So I think I will just push on the pedel to get over those overpasses. I would have $50.00 worth of fuel to take care of a mild nuisance.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

"Flipping the overdrive switch" merely triggers the downshift when you want it rather than waiting on the powertrain controller. Overdrive is 5th gear and deactivating overdrive forces you to 4th.