Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #1

Just noticed under my coach what looked like leaking oil... Nope, it's diesel. Ugh.

Bottom of genny is wet, can't really tell where it is coming from, but the lines seem to be wet, though from my quick inspection it doesn't look like a bad line or even a loose clamp.

Has anyone else run into this? I really haven't done anything to the generator in the past few months other than regular monthly exercise. I did have it running a couple weeks ago when we had the tires changed, but nothing was done near it.

The worst part is I know something is wrong, but can't do much about it cause it is so blasted cold here! Ugh.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #2

Just noticed under my coach what looked like leaking oil... Nope, it's diesel. Ugh.

Bottom of genny is wet, can't really tell where it is coming from, but the lines seem to be wet, though from my quick inspection it doesn't look like a bad line or even a loose clamp.

Has anyone else run into this? I really haven't done anything to the generator in the past few months other than regular monthly exercise. I did have it running a couple weeks ago when we had the tires changed, but nothing was done near it.

The worst part is I know something is wrong, but can't do much about it cause it is so blasted cold here! Ugh.

John

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
John, you could drop the bottom access cover and check to see if a loose fitting on the fuel filter is the culprit.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #4

Oh man, picked the wrong day to mess with this.

Pulled the access plate, everything inside soaked with diesel... Appeared to be the top fitting, of course the one that is too thick to get a flare wrench on, and was too tight already for a regualar open end wrench. Ugh.

I ended up repalceing the entire line from the Injector pump down. The line failed at the crimp for the fitting going into the fuel filter. I had to use a piece of steel line into some 5/16th inch rubber line, but it seem to be holding well, and not leaking yet.

The worst part was laying on my back with diesel dripping in my face and only 12 degree's outside. It really wasn't too bad once I took off the top cover, and saw where the line went. I don't understand why Cummins/Onan decided on that ridiculous filter arrangement. There's plenty of room, what would be wrong with a simple spin on filter? argh.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #5

12 degrees! Man, that's motivation! You need to head to the SW where it's just wet...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Moder2,

Get out of there, the cold will kill you.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:58 AM   #7

John, glad you got it fixed (and WOW on the 12 degrees F!!!).

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote