Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Seem we forget that in the 60's, 70's and 80's when the majority of RV's only had one 12VDC battery we did just fine. It is the intense desire for all the fancy stuff that drives the larger requirements.

Example of how to estimate usage

Device        Number     Rating          Daily Hrs       Daily Total
                        in amps           Used          In Amp-Hrs
Lights          8    X    1.5       X     0.5       =        6
Stereo          1         2.0             4.0                8
Water Pump      1         4.0             0.25               1
Fridge          1         0.8             24.0               20 (rounded up)

Minimum Daily DC Total                                      35 Amp-hr

Furnace         1        7.0             3.0                21

Maximum Daily DC Total                                      56 Amp-hr
For maximum life, you should never deplete a battery bank lower than 50% so I would have at least 140AH battery bank (minimum safety margin). Closer to 200AH would be preferred (two group 27's or 29's in parallel)

That is how you determine your daily use and storage capacity needs.

Battery charging (entry level RV) - How much energy you can put back in daily will depend on converter type and time available to run generator. An older single stage converter will take many hours to recharge. A modern 3 stage converter unit will bring the bank back to 80% fairly quick but that last 20% will take a while.

So, as your needs grow you increase capacity and charging efficiency however the basic way to determine your needs is still computed the same way no matter how many modern conveniences you desire.

Useful table of AH requirements: Determining The Total Amount Of Amp Hours You Will Consume - Solar RV Panels

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I also find this chart helpful when checking the condition of my battery. Keep it on smart phone for easy access.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401508220.744107.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  104.6 KB

Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app

Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 E4500 Chevrolet chassis
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Myrons31 View Post
With the ability to run generator trackside amongst the others doing the exact same thing

If you have a friendly neighbor that runs his generator a lot , plug in to him :-). I dry camp with friends that have small kids & I reap the benefit of their lavish use of their generator.
ScoobyMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #18
All went well with a new group 31 from Napa. 5 days with a total of about six hours of generator time.

I even ran a TV for a bit off a typical store bought small inverter. Yes. I know I said I wouldn't use the TV.....
2002 Four Winds 31Z. E-450 V10. Stops at all racetracks!
Myrons31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Well, it's like a friend told me just this morning when I ribbed him about putting two TVs in his new race car trailer:

We do live in Oregon and we can't race in the rain.
Dick & Theresa
2007 HR Endeavor 36 PDQ
Lots of power to pull the toys I don't have time to use!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #20
Just depends on what you use on what you need. In the summer we're outside till 10pm and spend very little time inside. A quick movie for the grandkids and everyone is usually out in an hour. Could never figure out why people go places and then spend all their time in the MH. If I wanted to sit inside all day I would just stay home

89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, camping