Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #15

The Radiator collects junk from the engine side on a rear rad setup, garden sprayer, gallon of Prestone type bug cleaner for ww washer tank, soak the radiator and back flush with a garden hose (moderate pressure) or degreaser if that's the issue....worked well for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #16

Radiator and CAC cleaning

Thanks to those of you who replied to my original post . It seems that we have drifted away from my post requests , Does anyone who has actually removed the radiator and cac have a description and part # for the parts that were replaced ? Belts , bearings , tensioners , fan shaft bearings . pulleys etc. Also , were you able to lift the radiator and cac out still assembled ? Are there any videos such as U Tube available to assist in the disassembly ?

2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39V with Cat C-7 330

Walter

Old 01-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post
Thanks to those of you who replied to my original post . It seems that we have drifted away from my post requests , Does anyone who has actually removed the radiator and cac have a description and part # for the parts that were replaced ? Belts , bearings , tensioners , fan shaft bearings . pulleys etc. Also , were you able to lift the radiator and cac out still assembled ? Are there any videos such as U Tube available to assist in the disassembly ?
Walter
Furniss
That is not at all unusual on any forum and about any subject.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #18

I did all of the maintenance you speak of except I didn't have to remove the rad or cac to do this work.All of the numbers were obtained by using my engine serial number and called cat .I then bought some parts from them and other parts from napa with the same number at half the price
Old 01-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post

Walter
Walter,
I'm one of them that might have veered away from your original inquiry. Sorry, I get carried away sometimes. Anyway, in regards to lifting the radiator and CAC out as attached unit, as stated before, you better be the HULK or, Arnold Scwhartzenagor (when he was a lot younger) to be able to do that. Some coaches, and the rear design specifically, might cause you to lift or remove them as a unit but, in ours, I was able to separate them and lift each one out separately.

R & R a radiator and CAC on these coaches is not to be taken lightly (no real pun intended). It's a pretty hardy task to get those boys out and back in. And, unlike front engine, tilt front end Freightliner Class Super Cs, which give you all the room in the world to do this sort of thing, working back there, and gaining access to all the components, braces, nuts, bolts, hose clamps, and a few zillion other attachment points is NO EASY CHORE. So, just in case you've never taken anything like this on, be prepared to use a few words that you might not want the neighbor kids to hear.

Now that I've done it, yep, I could most likely, if forced, have that radiator and CAC out, and on saw horses, in about 2-3 hours, as apposed to the 6+ hours it took me the first time. And, based on the trouble I encountered with ultra tight bolts, the little Allen-flat head ones that hold on fan hub, and a couple of other hard-to-get-to components and parts, I'd pull those two units in a heartbeat over trying to contort my old body into a pretzel trying to save not pulling them.

As for part numbers, as has been stated, if you call CAT with your specific engine serial number, they'll have the EXACT part numbers for your engine parts. Then, as others have stated, you may take those part numbers and call a NAPA or, what ever other parts supplier of your choice and see what, if any differences in prices there are. Good luck.
Scott

Here's what it looks like without them in the way.

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #20

Because I USE my coach 6.000-12,000 miles a year...(and because I'm the service and maintenance provider).... I'm all about "easy" and "satisfactory" ...and not much about "difficult", and/or "unnecessary".
Mel
'96 Safari, (145k miles)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also cut a hole on top of the fan shroud to access both the radiator and CAC. First, my sure the number one culprit is corrected, the "blow by tube". It needs to be extended to the rear of your Rig.

As far as cleaning, I use Extreme Simply Green made for aluminum. I connect my garden hose to the hose bib drain on my 50 gallon house water heater. Spray on the liquid and wait about 10 minutes then hose off with 120 degree water. Works well for me.

Good luck!

Tags
radiator