Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #1

Rain getting in from roof refrigerator vent

Hello everyone. I was camping a couple of days ago and there was heavy rain and very High Winds. For at least three days straight. When I woke up I notice my Rug that I have in front of the entry door was wet. The water seems to be coming from behind the refrigerator near the battery disconnect when you walk in the entry door. When the rain and wind stop there was no more water. So I figure it was rain and not the refrigerator leaking itself. Has anybody had any experience with water getting in through The refrigerator roof vent with High winds.
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you've checked the caulking around the vent, I think you might have just had a case of perfect conditions of wind and rain that allowed water in. To try and create a baffle to block rain might also impair venting of the refrigerator. Check refrigerator outside door area and see if some water was driven in through the side vents. Condensate drain for the fridge usually leads to either the side vent or through the floor to the ground. If the hose has been dislodged from the vent, it could dump on RV floor and creep to the rug.

It would help if you put your RV make and model in your signature so we know what type of rig you have.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We need more info about your unit. Please fill out your Signature so we can better help.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #4

I was trying to do it all on my iPhone but I guess I need to do it on my laptop to fill out more information. I have a 2015 phantom made by Nexus 30 foot class C
Old 12-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #5

The step would be an inspection of the fridge roof vent. Maybe it wasn't sealed properly. Maybe it's broken.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

I've been up on the roof plenty of times and the vent cover seems to be sealed fine. Like someone mention I think it was just perfect conditions very Highwinds with lots of rain
Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take a look at your fridge access panel on the side of your motorhome. In some cases water can all run down the side of the RV and make its way in through this panel. Depending on how the drain holes work behind the fridge (sometimes there are none!) you can end up having water pass by the holes and end up making it into the RV and onto the floor. Folks solve this by making a dam out of a caulking in the area behind the fridge that forces the water away from the other susceptible areas.

Don't think this happens? It does, depending on the design of the rig. Attached are some images from a different RV forum that might be of help for you if this happens to be the problem in your situation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _Fridge-Water Leak Solution3.pdf (271.2 KB, 361 views)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #8

The strange thing about it when I took the outside access panel off there was no water in side. but the water tray was full

Tags
refrigerator, roof, vent