Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
rain leak

I have a water leak that is coming out of an electrical socket about 2/3 of the way down the sidewall. I have removed the socket and water drips out when it is leaking. My problem is that I cannot find the leak with a hose; I’ve tried spraying, both hard and soft, all over the roof and wall above the leak, but no drip. Then, as soon as it rains for 10 minutes, it starts to drip (about every 5 seconds in a moderate rain). Any suggestions?
Gordon
gordonandpatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gordon,
I wish I had some information for you to go on. One of the hardest things to find sometimes are those little leaks. Can you determine if it is coming down the wire, or down the inside of the wall? Working in a confined space like that is challenging, to say the least. Water seeks it's own level, so it could be coming from anywhere. I'm assuming that you are level, or as level as can be predicited in a MH. Changing the level will only make it come out some other place.

Good luck on this one. Caulk, caulk, caulk, and more caulk is about all I can offer.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I ran down one pesky leak (carpet under driver left foot getting stained) with tape, piece of plastic and water hose. Starting at lowest point you think could be where water would get to where it shows up, tape off area you want to keep dry and them water a small area and check. Keep doing this as you work up and all around. It's time consuming and a pain, but if you persist you'll find it.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #4

Many RV dealships have a system that pressurizes the interior of your coach. Then they spray soapy water all over the outside of the coach and everyplace bubbles show up there is a leak there. They will mark where the leaks are and you can seal them yourself or have them do it. The test is usually $75 to $100. Water leaks can be very difficult to find because the entry point for the leak can be 10 feet or more away from the leak you see. The water can travel several feet horizontally before it finally decides to drip down vertically. The pressure test will find these leaks rather quickly.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonandpatti View Post
I have a water leak that is coming out of an electrical socket about 2/3 of the way down the sidewall. I have removed the socket and water drips out when it is leaking. My problem is that I cannot find the leak with a hose; I’ve tried spraying, both hard and soft, all over the roof and wall above the leak, but no drip. Then, as soon as it rains for 10 minutes, it starts to drip (about every 5 seconds in a moderate rain). Any suggestions?
Gordon
PLZ update your signature block with info on your moho.
which wall is the socket on? by a window or door?
as someone else suggested, pressurizing the inside of the rv to find leaks is a viable method.
you may be able to do it yourself with your heater set on fresh air, high. if you have a shop vac make a plate for a window and use it also.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gordon,
Without additional information as to where the outlet is in the coach it can be difficult to provide detailed suggestions. However, one can begin with the roof seams. If any of the roof edge seams or appliance edge seams are suspect, the product Eternabond (tape) can be applied to ensure you can eliminate that seam as a cause for the leak. Eternabond will last many years. If you are going to do a long seam, lay a chalk line first along one edge where the Eternabond will go. You only get one chance to place the tape. The chalk line helps keep the seam straight throughout the entire run.

Let us know more about the location of the leak.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I recently discovered where I had a leak and thought it was a window seal. But that checked out so I began an inspection of every inch of that area above the leak. The water would run from the bottom right corner of the window so I concentrated my search above that area. I discovered a tear in the sealing tape where the outside wall of the slide meets the roof of the slide. I had figured the slide awning would prevent water from accumulating on the slide roof but I was wrong. Water would pool in the awning and eventually drip through onto the roof. So I had to remove the slide awning to access that area and found that the sealing tape had been cut with a razor knife about 8" long (thank you Monaco). I cleaned the area and laid down gutter tape then overlaid that with white roof coating. Problem solved. This was on the front roadside slide and I found the same thing on the curbside bedroom slide but it had never leaked.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote