RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Raising wheels off ground....

Hello one and all,

I have read all sorts of threads about NOT using your hydraulic levelers to raise you motorhome wheels for changing tires and so on. But, no where can I find out how to do it properly.

My problem is this, I do not want to take the Holiday Rambler Admiral 30' to a garage to have them lube (or not lube) the fittings. Also, it sits so low that it is difficult to get under it with the wheels on (one at a time would be removed). I would like to raise the MH, remove one wheel (using jack stands of course) and do my own service.

So I am wondering how some of you accomplish this task. I understand I could buy a floor jack, but that would be difficult to carry in the MH. I am not sure what size jack I should purchase to raise one corner at a time. I know I should go have each corner weighed, but I am looking for suggestions from others that do their own maintenance. 3 Ton, 6 Ton, 12 Ton so many options out there.

SO, how do you do it? Can I raise one corner at a time to remove one wheel without flexing the chassis to crack or break something? I just want to do it myself so it is done right.....

Thanks to y'all,

Jeff Houseless Not Homeless

apopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #2

...good luck--this topic has been beat to death with few conclusions....depending on the brand of rig and type of "leveling" jacks, many people do it....others wont/don't... I am in the latter camp....I have enough clearance to position a 12ton squatty bottle jack under the axle....for maintenance purposes, this approach spreads the weight, lifts the suspension components, reduces side to side/corner to corner torque on frame/body....6ton would work on my 30k DP but 12ton is easier to pump.
PS--I totally believe in DIY when ever I can but to be safe and do it correctly, you really need the proper equipment and a good facility--IMHO.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apopj View Post
Hello one and all,

I have read all sorts of threads about NOT using your hydraulic levelers to raise you motorhome wheels for changing tires and so on. But, no where can I find out how to do it properly.

My problem is this, I do not want to take the Holiday Rambler Admiral 30' to a garage to have them lube (or not lube) the fittings. Also, it sits so low that it is difficult to get under it with the wheels on (one at a time would be removed). I would like to raise the MH, remove one wheel (using jack stands of course) and do my own service.

So I am wondering how some of you accomplish this task. I understand I could buy a floor jack, but that would be difficult to carry in the MH. I am not sure what size jack I should purchase to raise one corner at a time. I know I should go have each corner weighed, but I am looking for suggestions from others that do their own maintenance. 3 Ton, 6 Ton, 12 Ton so many options out there.

SO, how do you do it? Can I raise one corner at a time to remove one wheel without flexing the chassis to crack or break something? I just want to do it myself so it is done right.....

Thanks to y'all,

Hey Jeff. My class c manual says never lift all 4 wheels off the ground but it lifts front wheels off Everytime it levels. So high I had to buy a step pad for outside the door.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

When you take a coach to a tire shop to change out your tires, they only raise one tire enough to clear the ground by a half inch or maybe a bit more. Why not build some portable ramps that you can disassemble and store and drive the coach up onto the ramps. Another question arises, do you have the equipment to loosen and tighten the lug nuts. Some of these rigs require 500 pound feet of torque to remove and replace lug nuts. If you know the combined axle weight then buy a jack that exceeds that weight and you should be good to go.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I routinely raise mine when performing work. I have Power Gear hydraulic levelers. I don't raise all four off the ground at the same time. I raise both sides to keep from tweeking the frame and chock the wheels that aren't being raised. I then slide the safety stands under each side of the axle, then lower the jacks a little so that some weight is on the axle for stability.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #6

I have the HR Admiral 30 SFS.
Here is what I do. Just raise one end both sides, put a good heavy duty jack stand or equivelant underneath somewhere appropriate, and do your work. On mine, in the rear, the levelers won't reach the ground without boards or something to get it up off the ground. The front it will.
Have fun.
P.S. I have a few 2 X 6's I carry in the MH that I use for leveling if needed. They are 2 feet long.
AND, make sure to BLOCK, CHOCK, your wheels. VERY IMPORTANT!!!

EDIT: Just like Waiter said.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by apopj View Post
Hello one and all,

Thanks to y'all,

For light maintenece I back the rears up on doubled 2 by timbers for a gain of 3"
Which is enough. When I remove and overhauled my rear jacks I cribbed the chassis rails on 15" 4x4s(pairs alternated in direction). To be safe do both left and right crib height incrementally by using the leveling jacks. Front wheels chocked of course and on level cement.
The front can be heaved up by using a pair of 4x4 s side by side under the leveling jack foot, jack the wheels off the ground with the front leveling jack and then lower the tires down onto 6x6 blocks. All that is needed is a small floor jack to lift the axle a little to ease placing the 6x6 under the tire. The main thing is stay safe and don't trust air bags and leveling jacks anytime you side underneath the couch or even removing a wheel. Think jack stands on chassis rails for safety backup.
6flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
During one of these previous discussions I decided to check on the jack capacities and this is what I determined. We have a 30' coach. The total capacity of the 4 jacks can lift if memory serves me correctly about 4 times the total weight of the RV.

Have you ever read any posts or threads discussing this idea? If you are a snow bird and live 6 months in two different places does anybody ever suggest lowering the unit when parked in either of the 6 month locations. I'd guess so the jacks have some time to recover from doing what they do.

Have you ever heard of RV's suddenly or even slowly come down off their heights while setting in an RV park for weeks and weeks and months and months at a time? Well neither have I.

Can a hydraulic jack of any sorts suddenly fail?? Yes anything is possible!! I taught HS auto shop for 35 years and NEVER, NEVER had a jack fail suddenly. Did they fail?? Yes but it was always a slow leak which was evidenced by seeing fluid under the jack where it sat when not being used. None ever suddenly failed.

I have made four 2X4 pads which are 12" square and the required height so I can jack up each corner and lower the RV's front axle and rear differential down on those wooden pads. I've got the front wheels up tires off as we speak in the driveway so I can insulate the wheel wells to reduce some of the road noise.

If I'm rotating tires or greasing the suspension I'll lift a corner so the tires are off the ground about an inch. That's not enough to severely twist the frame and cause windshield failure.

Do we ever camp with wheels off the ground? Yes! Sometimes it's unavoidable. I try not to have the rear wheels off the ground. Last month we couldn't avoid it. The sight looked like it was almost flat but we had to back in instead of going in so the front wheels would be up. Both rear wheels were up about 1 to2". I carry twelve 14" square 3/4" thick plywood pads. I also carry 12" wide wooden wedges.

I placed a pad under each tire and hammered wooden wedges under the rear tires.

If the 4 hydraulic jacks can support 3 to 4 times the entire coaches weight capacity I'm not in the least bit concerned if my tires are on occasion off the ground.

Here is one issue. Finding a 8-12 ton bottle jack that is short enough to get under the front axle can be a challenge. I first had to use the leveling jacks to lift the weight off the front then jack up the front axle with my floor jack so I could place my wooden pads under. Something else to buy.

Sorry for some repeating of ideas. I guess 6flyer (above) said some of the same things that I did. He got his post done before I did.