Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
If you do buy one, make sure to buy the product insurance to go along with it. In our experience the RM units only last about a year, so for $40 a year you get a brand new GPS.

We are on our third unit. This first unit became possessed clicking like crazy with different screens popping up. The second unit just got stupid, saying it wasn't registered, couldn't do updates, etc. Calls to RM Support left them mystified as well.

So we are on our third unit, replaced in January, and you can bet that I got the insurance to go a along with it.

Yes it does warn you of steep grades, curves and so on. It often does not agree with my Garmin gps or MS Street and Trips. The thing I don't like, it that it will try relentlessly to get you to go a certain way and not tell you why. Sometimes its a clearance issue, but it would be nice if it told you why it was routing you a certain way.

fputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #16

I have the RM7730 and generally like it. The only issue I've had is when pre-planning a trip with Good Sam Trip Planner online, downloading it to the GPS ... the GPS has a quirk that when you arrive at stop, then leave for the next one, it keeps trying to return you to the stop you just left. RM service says to put it in Manual mode and delete the next to stops to override this issue ... say what? So, now I only plan the next stop ahead of time and use the computer for "trip review" and campground info only. I really like the ability to put in the length, width and height of my Class A with the tow vehicle ... an extra margin of safety that kept me out of trouble on the last 7,000 mile cross-country trip.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Rand McNally Good Sam GPS

I bought one because it was $100 off. I recently put thru a test drive in the car on a familiar destination with a height restriction. It did route me a little funny but that's because of the height restriction and if I was unfamiliar with the area it wouldn't have seamed odd at all. There was a better route even with the height restriction but it wouldn't have known that. It doesn't tell verbally that it's recalculating like the Garmin does it has the word recalculating on the screen that's it, so if you didn't know you missed your turn it would get you off at the next available exit to go back or send you down an alternate route. I don't like that, I would rather have it tell me it's recalculating that that way I know I missed a turn. It does give you an audible tone just before your turn comes up which is kind of cool. I'm use to the Garmin auto series but wanted some of the other features the RM has. Screen resolution in the day time is poor and seems to be almost impossible to see when held up near the windshield during a sunny day. I think because of the screen resolution and the failure to announce audibly that it is recalculating, the poor battery performance when not plugged in I would give it a 6-7 out of ten. One more thing if you are running off the internal battery and then decide to plug it in, the screen goes blank and starts it reboot as if you turned it on for the first time. Now I need to see about returning it.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #18

I had a 7735 for a couple years and don't use it any more. As an avid Google Maps user for car trips, I just couldn't stand the very old look and feel of the RM interface anymore. Another frustration was the lack of map updates.

This year I switched to the new RV specific app from CoPilot and run it on a 7" Android tablet. I'm 3/4 done with about a 3500 mile trip with it right now. It isn't perfect but it's pretty good. It especially is good for advanced trip planning and storing of multiple point routes. I planned my entire day drives ahead of time including each truck stop for fuel.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #19

We have the Garmin rv760, What a waste of money. My smart phone does a much better job of navigation.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club

My brother showed me that not everyone is familiar with how to properly set up a GPS (me!). As an example, selecting "shortest route" vs "fastest route" has taken us down some questionable roads. There are many other ways to go wrong so it's important to read your manual.

Also, there are ways to get "inside" the GPS's software which is occasionally required for reboots when getting squirrelly results.

If you buy a cheaper GPS or those one-offs then you're on your own. Just compare model numbers between Costco, Best Buy, and a truck stop. Though they look the same they're not always identical.

Though sometimes I use my iPhone and paper maps just to be sure, after properly setting up my Garmin dezl 760, we haven't been steered wrong in two years.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #21

I know GPS inside and out, having used a Garmin for years on my motorcycle, but bought the 7730 just before a 7k mile trip on a recommendation, and for the interface to Good Sam Trip Planner. Well, let's just say that 500 miles into the trip I was ready to skip it across the nearest pond. I still use it, but I'm thinking there may be more less frustrating units on the market.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #22
KC

I have the app for my iPhone, I use it with my Mirroring coach radio.

Likes, it accounts for height, weight and length of unit.

Dislikes, Im used to Garmin units.

KC
Old 07-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Bought a RM7710 four years ago. We both found:
1) data entry slow and cumbersome. [I have 30 years of aviation trip planning, loading and using airline nav systems; DW has 40 years system design. Not totally our ineptitude.]
2) screen too busy, crammed with data.
3) power hog. Battery life measured in minutes. RM CS claimed it was designed to be used plugged in, but it came new with only a 110V adapter. Odd.
4). Within 2 months it tried to guide us under an 11 ft railroad bridge. Old bridge, at least 80-100 years, so you know it was recorded. It was simply a matter of RM buying the cheapest database they could find.

At that point it went into a drawer and hasn't been used since. Want it? Includes Lifetime Maps. I use Google Maps and a trucker website to check clearances. Some days we just wander, and on those days I have to really pay attention. Most travel days we follow a route (but not a schedule). I check the route before starting. Minimize surprises.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Returned the RM today. Too bad I had high hopes for it. I put it thru the paces in the car and for the little extras it my have,!the poor resolution and battery power maybe 20 min. was bothersome. I didn't check the manual but it didn't announce missing your turn (recalculating) it only posted it but you would have to look at the screen, that is if you thought you missed it.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I have had a RM7710 for 5 years and I rarely use it. It is good for some things, but it has sent me some odd ways. For example last year I went through Chicago on a trip to Montana. I was on I-90. The RM kept trying to get me to exit into downtown Chicago. When I ignored it, it recomputed and tried to get me to exit at the next exit. I couldn't get it to stop so I turned it off and used my I-Pad.

Sorry RM but I can't trust it anymore!!

BTW I had updated it two days earlier.

Yep on trying to get you to take the next exit to take you back as if it only knows one way. I returned mine today and got a full refund at CW. It doesn't even tell you with an audible message that you missed your turn. It's about a 5 out of 10

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
We have a Rand McNally in-dash unit as part of the radio/cd player/backup camera. It is HORRIBLE. After inputting a destination it takes 10 minutes or more for it to find and display the route. My wife and I joke that we'll be "there" before it shows us the way. Then once it does show the route it often looses the signal apparently as our "current" position doesn't change for 5 to 10 miles.

On top of that there is so much information on the screen that it is DANGEROUS for the driver to attempt to read it because of the small print.

We're looking into an aftermarket unit like a Pioneer or Kenwood. We do like the unit's list of POI's and campgrounds, but we just don't have the patience to use it. Any button on the screen that is pressed results in a 5 to 10 second delay before the unit responds.

That's great to hear (not)! Our 2017 View 24J should be delivered to us within the next week and it has what sounds like the mostly useless $1600 infotainment system which includes the same unit.

That said, I've been using nav for many years and have never seen a system that could beat Google Maps directions via a smartphone. As soon as I spent some time in the View and see where I want it, I'll order a ProClip phone holder for my LG V10. ProClip is a bargain IMHO for how well it works. I've had them in many vehicles and they make a few mounts for the Navion/View dash.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
That's great to hear (not)! Our 2017 View 24J should be delivered to us within the next week and it has what sounds like the mostly useless $1600 infotainment system which includes the same unit.

That said, I've been using nav for many years and have never seen a system that could beat Google Maps directions via a smartphone. As soon as I spent some time in the View and see where I want it, I'll order a ProClip phone holder for my LG V10. ProClip is a bargain IMHO for how well it works. I've had them in many vehicles and they make a few mounts for the Navion/View dash.
Since my original post where I pointed out the short comings and my frustration with the Rand McNally navigation included in the in-dash infotainment system in my Navion 24J, I'll add this...

The original unit wouldn't output audio to the left speaker(s). It was replaced under warranty. The replacement unit was as slow and clunky as the first. As I previously mentioned I was going to consider a Pioneer or Kenwood unit. I researched online and visited several independent car stereo shops. One recommended an in-dash unit made by Rosen. I didn't know Rosen offered complete nav systems. I knew they are a major manufacturer of video screens used in many different products.

I'm very glad I found out about the Rosen unit. It's incredibly responsive and very fast to calculate a route and re-calculate as necessary while enroute. It has a much simpler and easier-to-use menu system to access various options than the Pioneer or Kenwood systems I looked at.

The tone control settings give excellent sound even through the factory speakers.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Caught between the Garmin and RM, I chose the RM when camping world had a sale. We don't use trip planning or other gadgets, and the thing works well when I choose the route correctly ("Sortest Route" in rural Connecticut will direct you on some narrow lanes and little villages).

One problem was a failed power cord that I later replaced at a local Walmart. Loosing power caused a crises until DW remembered she had written instructions to our destination

The other problem is image washout in bright sunlight, but I plan to buy a Glare Stomper GlareStomper - GPS Visors | Shades | Anti-Glare Hoods
The power cord that comes with the RM 7730/35 is feeble at best. When mine quit I phoned RM tech service, he sent a replacement at NC. It was twice as thick as the OEM cable.
That IMO is the downside of the RM; it is designed to be plugged into an external power source constantly; or so said that same RM technician.

Yes, it is a computer, and does exactly as told, nothing more. Incorrect settings will route you into some very difficult places, exactly as told. Been there-done that.
The actual maps are not made by RM, or any other GPS mfgr.; who buys them from NAVTEQ.
General information about GPS here.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps