Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I have had my 5510 for 5 years no problems. The voice has just recently quit working. Needing to replace this one, I'm looking at the Garmin RV760LMT. It seems to have better reviews than the RM or Magellian rv gps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 01:25 AM   #16

Good choice IMHO

Old 02-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just downloaded and updated our RM 7720 last night. It took about 3 hours to download the map updates. And we have fairly fast internet. It will take a while to figure out what they changed...
Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
I just downloaded and updated our RM 7720 last night. It took about 3 hours to download the map updates. And we have fairly fast internet. It will take a while to figure out what they changed...
Your connection is fast. I have to leave mine downloading overnight. I have DSL. While still connected to Dock, open the release notes, which list/explain all changes in the update.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #19

Had the 5510 for less than 2 years. Bought it for the rv features and when not using it in the moterhome, I used it in my car. The sun damaged the casing last summer rendering the unit useless.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Guess I better do that tomorrow since I can do it at work. The rig has a built in Garmin that needs updating, cost is $99. But I like the 7720 better, just don't like it suctioned to the side window.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My sister bought a new Rand McNally and signed up to win one at the Pomona RV show. She was surprised when a new one showed up at her door......she won the contest. I offered her $200 cash and she sold it. We're happy with it. I run two GOS units. I have one in the dash and I mounted the RM near my wife. She can look up things while we leave the in dash unit set for our final destination.

Often, when any of these units take you on odd roads, it's because you have it set to Shortest vs Fastest.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #22

Rand McNally RV GPS

When I had my "life-changing experience" on the one trip where I used that lousy RM unit, it was set to Fastest Route.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #23

We have the Garmin 660. We have used it 5 times so far and it has been correct each time. I just have to remember to switch it to car when not using it in the rv.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic57 View Post
I had the RM RVGPS and donated it to United Way auction. I purchased the Garmin 760 LMT and love it.
As with everything else, you're going to get differing opinions on any question you ask. Its a personal choice.

How well does that voice steer work? Tells you when to turn after a certain landmark?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
How well does that voice steer work? Tells you when to turn after a certain landmark?

I'm not aware of that function. I do like the ability to plan a trip and upload it to the device. I also like the ability to transfer a destination from my iPhone via Bluetooth. These were functions my Magellan did not have at the time.

I will say that the Magellan did route me out of the way a couple of times on routes that made no sense whatsoever. To date, the Garmin has been spot on.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
I'm not aware of that function. I do like the ability to plan a trip and upload it to the device. I also like the ability to transfer a destination from my iPhone via Bluetooth. These were functions my Magellan did not have at the time.

I will say that the Magellan did route me out of the way a couple of times on routes that made no sense whatsoever. To date, the Garmin has been spot on.

Just seen it had something called voice steer on that model. Prompts you when to turn like "after the church turn right"?

Old 02-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #27
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Just seen it had something called voice steer on that model. Prompts you when to turn like "after the church turn right"?
We have ours set to RV and the voice steer works just fine. It alerts me to upcoming turns before I even see them.

Then it goes 3D and shows me what lane to be in.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #28
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I also like the ability to transfer a destination from my iPhone via Bluetooth.
How do you do that????>

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps