Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Rand McNally RV GPS

Any opinions of the Rand McNally or Magellan RV GPS' I'm not a big fan of Garmins.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
limited data

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Any opinions of the Rand McNally or Magellan RV GPS' I'm not a big fan of Garmins.

My opinion is that the RM is pretty expensive. It seems to be the only one with built in RV data that helps with bridge heights. I currently use a Tom-Tom and it has some features I don't see in others too like you can send a destination from your Iphone to it. One thing I can say is I'm not sold on builit-in units and I notice that some of the new MH's have RM....Winnebago for one I think.

Bill

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #3

I like my RM and it has saved my butt twice with low clearance warnings. If you set an address it will automatically route you to avoid those things as long as you set it up with your RV specifics.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post

RM all the way for me... tried many over the years but feature wise for RV this is nice... mine is less then year old... 2512 i think (not near RV to tell you for sure)
id04265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #5

I got the RM 5510 four years ago. It has lead me astray and it has got lost on rare occasions. A gripe with me is the delay in updating new construction and road changes. Downloading old information does not change a thing.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 PM   #6

I had the RM RVGPS and donated it to United Way auction. I purchased the Garmin 760 LMT and love it.
As with everything else, you're going to get differing opinions on any question you ask. Its a personal choice.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

If you use a Mac the RM is not usable at the current time. The RM Dock application, needed to update maps, will not work with the latest OSX El Capitan.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like Chiefly1 said, even with out guidance turned on it will give warning of bridges, speed, that ones a nuisance!, The only problem was roads with real low weight limits like 8 ton roads and these were main roads, in Pa, so I just lowered my weight. Otherwise been a good unit, 7730
Old 01-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have used the RM for about 2 years. The low bridge warning is great. And so is the street weight limit. The RM will automatically route your MH correctly to miss these things even when you may not know why. Rand McNally also monitors the Technology forum here and will answer your questions and take our input on problems and opportunities. Yes, they are not quite as fast at updates, but rarely is that a problem. And finding camp sites are a snap.

We use it all the time in our MH.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:42 PM   #10

I had a Rand McNally RV GPS for ONE trip. That was enough. Even though I had programmed it to avoid dirt roads, it routed me down a one-lane dirt road with a 110-degree turn at one point. The next day it routed me down a dead-end street to a non-existent interstate ramp. Thank God for the empty lot where I did a 3-point and got turned around.

I returned the RM and bought a Garmin Dezl 760. I love it! I put my coach dimensions in it and it keeps me away from low overpasses and small bridges. I set it up so my backup camera appears on the GPS screen. I loaded an RV Park POI file and I have all the RV parks in it. Sweet!

I would NEVER purchase another Rand McNally GPS. Absolute junk.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #11

bought a garmin dezl 760 3 or 4 years ago. soon realized there is no difference between truck or rv setting. it will not take you to smokmont campground in smokeymounton national park where there are all klnds of motorhomes and rv's.apparently it will not take you any place a commercial truck should not go.it probably will not take you any place in yellow stone or many other places where rv's but not trucks are legal to go. very disappointed but don't know if any of the other gps's are any different.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Like Chiefly1 said, even with out guidance turned on it will give warning of bridges, speed, that ones a nuisance!, The only problem was roads with real low weight limits like 8 ton roads and these were main roads, in Pa, so I just lowered my weight. Otherwise been a good unit, 7730
I finally discovered that to disable the irritating speed warning, simply set the alarm to sound at 20 mph over your normal interstate driving speed; OR go to RV settings and disable the alarm completely.
Two different setting affect the dirt road thing (got me too). One is the setting for avoid roads, select avoid small roads. Instead there is a different setting to avoid dirt roads.
Your RV height and weight, will enable avoid small roads, the avoid dirt roads is specific. Even that is not 100% accurate, my 7730 keeps telling me a 5 mile section of a nearby state highway is a dirt road. I've entered that in the Tell Rand feature, haven't checked to see if it's corrected now. BTW, the users manual is available through the RM Dock software.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have the 7735 and like many of the features. Like most all units, this one almost impossible to see in daytime sun...especially if your sunglasses happened to be polarized. The do make a little clip on sun visor, but it is truly useless.

Below is a site that offers additional sunlight protection for GPS units and aircraft's.

GlareStomper - GPS Visors | Shades | Anti-Glare Hoods
Old 02-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqutus View Post
bought a garmin dezl 760 3 or 4 years ago. soon realized there is no difference between truck or rv setting. it will not take you to smokmont campground in smokeymounton national park where there are all klnds of motorhomes and rv's.apparently it will not take you any place a commercial truck should not go.it probably will not take you any place in yellow stone or many other places where rv's but not trucks are legal to go. very disappointed but don't know if any of the other gps's are any different.

I have never had an issue getting to any RV park with my 760. I loaded a POI file of all the RV parks and they are all there. It has an RV mode and it is different from the trucking mode.

Tags
gps