Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are electronic traps (rat zapper) that are more humane but tend to be less effective. A worked at a place years ago that was one of the first outlets to sell them and met the inventor.

Here is a "real world" review of them and some more effective snap traps that the reviewer uses.

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 03:57 AM   #16
Just another note of caution, in cold snow-covered climates, rabbits will climb into engine compartments and chew through wiring. We actually found one in an auto engine compartment when opening hood to jump start in severe cold.

EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
RV tech that repaired my fuel line say Bounce dryer squares located inside the RV repel rodents. Anyone heard of that method?
Hugh & Roberta
George & Gracie(Boston Terrors)
04 Sightseer 30B & 04 Honda CRV
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
RV tech that repaired my fuel line say Bounce dryer squares located inside the RV repel rodents. Anyone heard of that method?
I don't know how effective they are but think the aroma may dwindle quickly. Otherwise I think they might end up making a bed linens out of them...
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #19
You will have static-free rats. Nothing worse than getting zapped by a charged rat.

Seriously though, the scent of dryer sheets is said to be effective. I have had good results using peppermint oil - get at the grocery store in the spice or baking section, put on cotton balls and refresh weekly.
Upstate South Carolina
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2012 Honda CRV
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
We have used dryer sheets, bay leaves, moth balls, electronic noise makers, traps in combination. Also fill anything that looks like a crack with steel wool. Nothing worse that having rodents and the damage they do.

Hantavirus is a concern as well as all of the urine. Quite potent and they say able to increase the rate of rusting.

Nothing good comes with rodents so we go to extreme lengths to keep them away.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #21
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We also use electronic ultrasonic repellants (four of them inside the coach) as well as dryer sheets, steel wool at all entry points, fir filled bags, and moth balls under the coach especially in and near tire covers and under the engine compartment and near the shore power line. I do not use poison simply because I do not want to run the risk of one of them crawling up into the rig to die. Have not had to use traps yet; one of those magic steps above is keeping them away; just no idea as to which one. I agree, rodents of any kind are going to cause issues and damage.
lfdeluca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #22
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use a product called "Cab Fresh". It is heavy in balsam fragrance and the critters seem to hate it. They come in little cloth bags that you place around or in the RV. Seem to work well. We get them at the hardware store.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #23
We use Irish spring soap. So far so good. No critters in our coach.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #24
Vintage RV Owners Club
We use a few small potted live mint plants scattered around the rig-even have one behind the cabinets that I rotate out from time to time so it can get sun light. And the mint leaves make great ice tea. The rodents do not like the "strong" odor .
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #25
I use Moose, bogie and Angel. 3 guard cats on the interior and exterior patrol. No rodent dares to come near my M/H.
Ted E
2013 Thor ACE 29.2
Ted E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #26
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Like Cooperhawk, I use Fresh Cab inside the moho, the compartments, and even hang a few in the engine compartment. I soak them in peppermint oil when they start to lose their aroma and simply reuse them. We placed one in the glove-box in our jeep, and have never had any problems with critters since. We started using them in our garage, too.

I let our 2 Parson terriers romp around inside the moho once a week, then even let them run around in the basement compartments! I walk them around the outside every day. Not sure what works, but this routine has completely ceased all critter activity. BTW, we are not fans of poison, eventually it finds its way to other wildlife, not cool.

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #27
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
I've herd once the smell leaves they use them for bedding.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #28
I use the drier sheets under the tarp on my boat to keep the cats out also.

jewell is offline   Reply With Quote