Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 AM   #1

RBW Slide Out Problem

This past weekend the slide out motor kept tripping a breaker of some kind. The motor starts to work for a second or two, then there is a click from the engine fuse compartment and the power to the activation switch goes off. After about a minute, it comes back on by itself.

It is an RBW cable system. Removed the motor and it seems to run fine when not connected to gears. Had to crank the room in by hand.

Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting? My initial thought is that it probably needs a new motor. But if there is a faulty breaker or something else I should rule out first before spending $400 it would be good to know.

Thanks.

Jonathan
NeptuneGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The first place I would start is voltage. If the room can be operated with the engine running, do so. If not start the generator and/or have it plugged into shore power. Either way, check the operating voltage at the motor when someone engages the switch. From there if you have good voltage then I would look at the slide out mechanism. Make sure the brake is released when powered up. How long has it been since things were lubricated? Lastly check the amperage draw of the motor and compare to the circuit breaker. If the breaker is tripping out at less than the rated amperage; bad breaker. If not then you could have a bad motor. Let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
paz

gatorcruz, most slide-outs have an override mode so they can be hand cranked or pushed in and out manually. Can the slide be operated this way? It sounds like something may be binding. You should be able to feel if it is when you operate the slide manually.

If the slide is binding, it will overload the motor and trip the breaker. RV Wizard mentioned lubrication, and I would look at that. Also, you mention you have a cable system. It is possible that one of the cables is frayed or broken.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #4

I was plugged into 30A service at the time of the trouble and the battery levels were reading full. I was all up under the rig covered in dirt and grease checking it over. When I initially started to try and hand crank it in, a pin in the shaft assembly sheared off so I had to take it apart and put in a makeshift. Ended up cranking it in with a wrench.

going to try it again tomorrow now that it is back home.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #5

OK... here is what I have discovered so far... If I direct connect 12v power to the motor using my portable battery pack jumper, it slides out no problem... reverse the polarity and slides back in... smooth (not sure it's ever moved so easily).

So, I'm thinking there must be an issue with the delivery of power to the motor... where should I look?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There is the switch on the wall and probably a couple of Bosch style relays that control the power to the slide out motor. It has been about 50/50 on the failure rate of both. The Bosch relays are usually below the floor line and are together.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #7

Mike,

Are these the relays you are talking about? They are under the hood near the fuse box. This is what "clicks" when the power shuts off.

and this is the Power and Activation Switch located in the pantry. There is also a standard On/Off switch inside one of the storage lockers below that appears to be in the mix but doesn't seem to do anything regardless of whether it is On of Off.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
JC, the solenoids, pictured are not the slide out relays. They are the battery disconnect and boost solenoids. After seeing the switch in the pantry, you probably have a control module under a drawer and mounted to the floor. The switch that seems to to nothing may be a manual override switched used when manually cranking the room in or out.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Sounds like an almost identical problem I had with the slide outs. Had no idea what the problem was, but I assumed the wall switch was going bad. Took it to my trusty reliable RV guy, he diagnosed the problem as the relay. He replaced the relay and everything is working as it should.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #10

"oh where oh where has my relay gone... oh where oh where could it be????"
Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #11

OK... Found this under a Faux floor in the pantry.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=11500

Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #12

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=11501

don't know why the pic is not inserting like the others did. you can click on the link though.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Temporarily put a fuse of the same size rating as the circuit breaker that is tripping. Try room operation with known good voltage. If the room operates properly the circuit breaker is weak and should be replaced. If there is no difference and blows the fuse as well as trips the circuit breaker we need to determine the total amps the motor is drawing. If it is very much higher than normal the motor is defective. Be certain all wiring is good. If you have to run a heavy gage wire direct from motor to battery bank with proper rated circuit protection in series at the battery. If it operates the room it is not the motor.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #14

Mike... problem is, I don't know where the "breaker" or "relay" or whatever is shutting off the power is located.