Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #15

I haven't installed epdm RV sheeting on an RV roof so don't know what additional materials may be required.

Work I've seen done by professional and home owners, very.

Some RV services strip the old roof and let it dry out with heaters in a large enclosed areas for days. Some quotes I've received from professionals were into the thousands of dollars. ~$3500.00 was one cost estimate while another was iirc ~$2500.00.

The membrane itself doesn't cost all that much.

e.g. 8.6" WIDE X 30' white epdm, ~$375.00 excluding shipping. Longer pieces being more, shorter pieces run from around ~$225.00.

While having a professional install a new roof on my C. I watch for a bit then left and came back. It appeared what he did was first remove the A/C unit , roof molding, vents and loosened the ladder. Cleaned and prepared the roof, then installed the epdm on top of the roof. He proceeded to cut the membrane along the roof ends, sides, bathroom fan, refrigerator vent, sewage vent and A/C cutout. Allowing the epdm membrane to hang over several inches on the sides of the RV and inside the cutouts areas he created for the vents and A/C.

He made certain the membrane was tightly fitted on the top of the roof. Then proceeded to re-install, screwing down the molding on the new membrane from both sides and front and rear of the RV.

He then installed the vents and A/C and caulked everything with epdm caulking including the back, front and sides.

I believe he had been doing RV repair for decades and it didn't really take him all that long to perform the labor.

He only charged me for labor approx. the same as the cost of materials.

Roof has been on for several years without leaks, rot, damaged areas, etc.

Though there are no leaks I'm planning on eventually cleaning the roof and re-caulking, (adding more caulking) as preventive maintenance. Perhaps applying additional liquid epdm over the caulked seams if possible. I have a gallon sitting in storage. I'll need to read the instructions as I'm not certain if it's suppose to be applied directly over caulked seams.
user293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #16

I ordered Eterna-Kote S-100 from Home Depot for my rubber roof cost was $239 for 5 gallons. It was very easy to apply. An is a thin layer of very durable rubber when dries. I am very happy with my roof it's really solid now I can feel the diff.
SR2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2565 View Post
I ordered Eterna-Kote S-100 from Home Depot for my rubber roof cost was $239 for 5 gallons. It was very easy to apply. An is a thin layer of very durable rubber when dries. I am very happy with my roof it's really solid now I can feel the diff.
That's great to here it worked out ok. It's currently on sale at Home Depot online for $225.00 for a 5 gallons.

From what I've read about S-100 is it comes with a 50 year (limited) manufacture warranty.

Tear resistance 37 lbs/linear ft
Tensile strength 250 psi
Elongation 315 %

One difference I notice between Liquid Roof and the S-100. S-100 is not suppose to be applied to plywood. There is a list of recommended surfaces, plywood is not one of them. When their product support was asked a question about applying S-100 to plywood their answer was no.

Liquid Roof on the other hand can be applied directly to plywood and OSB board (with backing).

Other notes:
_ Any additional coating over S-100 needs to be made from silicone.
_ Does not adhere to plastics
_ If considering applying to elastomeric coating a peel test should be performed before applying.
_ when applying to a epdm rubber roof, product support recommends applying their primer. If applying directly to a rubber roof product support recommends to first perform a peel test.
user293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2565 View Post
How long ago did you reseal your roof with the Eterna-Kote? How well is it holding up to the weather?

Was it applied to a rubber roof?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
nice right up thanks
Old 08-23-2016, 02:50 AM   #20

Yes the Eterna-Kote S-100 was applied to a rubber roof. I was just searching for the best coating without the cost of replacing roof. When I came across the S-100 an was reading the reviews it was hands down better ranked than the Henry product. I was reading reviews from customers that it had been 10 years since coating an S-100 still looked the same as first day they coated. It is recomended that you use the primer but to many people on tve reviews just laughed they simply cleaned with a good dish washing soap which I did only a couple weeks ago. The black water will roll over the edges so you will need to spray your walls with water after you clean. It bonded so hard to my rubber that you cannot even get a knife to peel it loose. S-100 also recomends 3000 psi pressure washer to clean with, well I think not. If you get that much pressure under a small rip well it's gonna open up.
SR2565 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof