Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #1

Exclamation re-doing the flooring in my RV

who can help. I own a Southwind 2004, two slide out, and need to replace the carpet/laminated floor completely. Anyone had to do such a job. I plan to replace the carpet by a good vinyle carpet and some flooting /laminated floor in front of the kitchen and the way to the room. My problem is with the main slide out, how can we put the new material under the slide out even when completly open there is no poss. to go under. Is there a way to have the slide out jack up to give room for the new installation? Also between the two front seats, there is a king of higher level to give access to the top of the engine, it is covered with regular carpet but cannot be done with vinyle unless I would do a king of new square frame/box to cover with the vinyle, any other suggestions on that ??? Any help and or past experience for such a job woulb be much appreciated. I am usualy very good in any kind of :doing myself: job but on that one I have some questions before to undertake it.. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello dramis398 and welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Be sure to add your coach info in a signature by clicking on the "CP" button under the panoramic picture at the top of the page.
Most flat floor slide outs can be brought in some on wooden wedges but one needs to be mindful of crushing the top seal. You should be able to use three to start off with, leaving several feet at the edge clear, to get your carpet under the lip of the slide out. To be honest the best thing to do is to just end the new carpet under the flap of carpet on the slide out when it is fully extended. Use a thin threshold at this edge to hold the new carpet down and allow the slide out to easily slide or roll over this seam. You asked for who could help; do you mean a person to physically help with the job? If so you might ask your carpet supplier for names of installers. Some will be willing others will not. Good luck and keep us posted.
FYI an excerpt from our terms of service rules of the forum:
"Posting standards:
Forum members may use standard fonts available on the forum. The standard font size is 2. The use of bold, large or colored fonts should be used sparingly. Posts containing inappropriate formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion; e.g. all caps or excessive color."

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramis398 View Post
who can help. I own a Southwind 2004, two slide out, and need to replace the carpet/laminated floor completely. Anyone had to do such a job. I plan to replace the carpet by a good vinyle carpet and some flooting /laminated floor in front of the kitchen and the way to the room. My problem is with the main slide out, how can we put the new material under the slide out even when completly open there is no poss. to go under. Is there a way to have the slide out jack up to give room for the new installation? Also between the two front seats, there is a king of higher level to give access to the top of the engine, it is covered with regular carpet but cannot be done with vinyle unless I would do a king of new square frame/box to cover with the vinyle, any other suggestions on that ??? Any help and or past experience for such a job woulb be much appreciated. I am usualy very good in any kind of :doing myself: job but on that one I have some questions before to undertake it.. Thanks
you can update your signature block with info about your rv.
use the search function in the header of this page to find my posts with pictures of my installation of allure flooring.
my allure flooring is holding up well.
the first time we retracted and extended the slides, we got some scratches from the slide mechanism in 7 places on the front slide and 1 place on the rear slide. we use allure planks ranging from 2'- 3' long and 2''- 4'' wide placed on the floor for the slide to ride on when we retract the slides.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to irv2, Dram.

I don't know about the slide, but when I replaced the carpet in my last coach, I cut the carpet right behind the seats. I left the carpet on the engine cover, and this solved my problem. Even if the carpet is bad, it would be easier to replace with carpet than try to install vinyl.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We replaced all the carpet with Allure vinyl flooring back in February. We have a Fleetwood also, so maybe ours is similar.

I posted many pictures and documented our project every step of the way.

You can check out my blog if you are interested. We started the project in February, or just do a search on "Allure"

Good luck! We are very happy with ours. Just got back from a week at the beach...lots of sand and we were really glad to be able to just sweep it out!

Florida-Georgia Camping, Kayaking and Exploring
Old 05-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also used the Allure floating floor on my 2001 Winnebago Brave. I put it in the entire coach, front to back. I did have to stick with carpet on the doghouse engine cover. It worked out real well, I'm sure it had a lot to do with getting more trade in value than we paid for the coach.

As far as the slide, I can't claim to be an expert as I had no idea what was going to happen. Our slide had plastic pieces under it to glide on the carpet. Since the carpet was gone and the flooring was not as thick, it would no longer glide. It never caused a problem, and the slide continued to operate normally. As far as long term, I'm not going to be able to answer that one as we traded the coach earlier this year. I've heard of folks using a piece of the old carpet to put under the slide when they slide it in and out. Seems like a good idea, but we didn't need to do that.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We too replaced our entire floor with Allure and are sure glad we did. We full time with three dogs and love to spend time at the beach. Eliminating the W/W carpet was the only way for us to go.

We purchased coordinated area/throw rugs from Walmart and cut to size to carpet the slide floors... attaching it with tape and staples. Job as a bit more difficult because we did the entire floor and had to use some sub flooring and leveling compound to make everything "flat".

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We too replaced our entire floor with Allure and are sure glad we did. We full time with three dogs and love to spend time at the beach. Eliminating the W/W carpet was the only way for us to go.

We purchased coordinated area/throw rugs from Walmart and cut to size to carpet the slide floors... attaching it with tape and staples. Job as a bit more difficult because we did the entire floor and had to use some sub flooring and leveling compound to make everything "flat".
we use the swiffer swivel sweeper (say that fast 3 times) on our allure flooring. we got it from wally world for <$30. it works great.
we still use 8 allure strips as runners when we retract the slides to keep the slides from scratching the floor.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #9

I also am considering replacing my carpet and sheet vinyl. I looked at the Allure, but I am not sure about the performance. The specs say the temperature range is 30 to 90 degrees. Since the temps in my coach will range from -10 to +110, I would be concerned about shrinkage and the seam glue holding up. Right now, I am looking at a 7mm engineered laminate. The main concerns are weight and holding up through the temperature extremes. You folks with Allure, keep reporting how it holds up. Maybe I will reconsider.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #10

hi Twi 2go - thaks for your reply- I have thesame question about the great change in temperature extreme since I leave in Quebec, variations might be below 30*/or high 90*. Please keep me posted with any info you might get on the subject, I will do the same if any
Dramis 398 - Fleetwood Southwind 04. Two slideout
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Allure Odor

I have found online many complaints about odors coming from Allure flooring. Have any of you noticed this? The product is attractive, but I don't want to do this twice.
Geri and Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Not for the hot part of the country...

Somewhere on one of the RV forums I read that the glue will come loose if the temperature reaches 95 or so. Ask the flooring dealer about this. Joe
Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri and Jim View Post
I have found online many complaints about odors coming from Allure flooring. Have any of you noticed this? The product is attractive, but I don't want to do this twice.
We haven't noticed a bit of odor and have lived in the coach for close to a year. I've read the same posts about the heat spec of Allure being 95 degrees but can't help with that one since we full time and it never gets quite that hot in here... although our a/c fights all day to keep it in the 80s! I just gotta get me one of those roof a/c additions like Joe!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri and Jim View Post
we installed allure before xmas last year. we have no odor. we full time with 2 cats and keep the moho between 60-85 degrees inside. our floor is semi-floating. plz see several of my previous posts including pictures.

Tags
new flooring, replacing carpet, slide out