Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
Re-sealing the trim underneath the overcab.

Been a long while since I have posted. But have a question. Working on finishing fixing a leak. Got to the trim on the underside of the over cab. The trim had a layer of butyl putty tape in it, but from what I could tell, it was no where near enough to do any good. For those that have done this project before, how thick do you want they butyl putty tape layered in that trim to be effective? I was thinking 2 layers thick, with a third layer at each screw hole. To make sure for contact with both surfaces and a good seal at the screw hols. What are your thoughts?
The attached picture is with it setup like it was originally, with one layer and a second at each screw hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120802_162103.png
Views:	134
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	24307

Thanks,
Vick
hwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
if that is the flexible vinyl trim that goes down the middle of the metal trim, i have not seen any sealant used there. it just pops into place to finish off the look of the metal trim after putting the screws in. i always put some sealant under and over the screw heads, then i pop the vinyl strip into place. btw, i do use the strip caulk under the metal trim pieces.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
It's the metal trim. Almost a u shape with some type of strip at each end that is almost a foam like quality that is about half an in long on the inside where the old butyl putty tape ran. Sorry been a long day in the heat today. Always makes me forget to type bits of details like that.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ok, thats different than what i have, sorry. no help here...
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
No worries. Any help is better than no help...
Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #6

re-seal under cab

A buddy and I just got dun with one and only thing that we did is use an air staple gun and atatch the 2 sides up then place one layer of putty tape in the metel trim then place the trim in place stick up and screw the screws then lay a bead of caulk on both sides of that. But I noticed that the window was starting to droup so to fix it right we took window out to. but we had alot of water damage. hope that works
gilligan1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

In some instances I use Loctite Polyurethane Window and Door Sealant to replace the butyl tape as a sealant. The polyurethane takes a while to set up, but it fills up to 3/8" gap, bonds the surfaces, remains flexible, is paintable, and is very weather resistant.
roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for the help. Between all the suggestions I was able to complete the repair. Sorry for delay in posting a reply, but have been with out internet for a while and health issues.

Vick/HWYD