Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #1

Has anyone else had trouble reading these strips? With my "new to me" '94 HR - C8.3/250-3060, I changed the coolant shortly after I purchased it. I drained and flushed the system with distilled water and then refilled with the appropriate amount of DCA4 for the "empirically determined" 20 gallons or so of coolant.

After runnning it about 500 miles, I checked it with the FG test strips and it said that there was NO discernible concentration of DCA in the system. With the inside knowledge that I had - I was POSITIVE that the DCA content should have been at least in the neighborhood - but I added another container of DCA60 - ran it another 500 miles and rechecked - same indication. Freeze point OK @ ~-20F and Nitrites OK at ~ E or F reading - but the Molybdate reading is essentially non-existant. Just shows some 'spots' on the indicator block - no 'color' to match to the chart.

I thought ... maybe I have some 'out of date' (but the date code was good) - or contaminated strips - so I ordered a couple of new sets - straight from Spartan. Got them today and rechecked - SAME RESULTS!

I'm concerned - REALLY concerned. The docs say that too much DCA is just as bad as not enough. I KNOW that I should have more than enough DCA4 in the system, but the test stips say otherwise.

Is this a common problem?? I guess my only other possibility is to take it to the local (60 miles away) Cummins place and have it checked "professionally" ?? I REALLY don't want to end up causing problems with this mother diesel engine...

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #2

Has anyone else had trouble reading these strips? With my "new to me" '94 HR - C8.3/250-3060, I changed the coolant shortly after I purchased it. I drained and flushed the system with distilled water and then refilled with the appropriate amount of DCA4 for the "empirically determined" 20 gallons or so of coolant.

After runnning it about 500 miles, I checked it with the FG test strips and it said that there was NO discernible concentration of DCA in the system. With the inside knowledge that I had - I was POSITIVE that the DCA content should have been at least in the neighborhood - but I added another container of DCA60 - ran it another 500 miles and rechecked - same indication. Freeze point OK @ ~-20F and Nitrites OK at ~ E or F reading - but the Molybdate reading is essentially non-existant. Just shows some 'spots' on the indicator block - no 'color' to match to the chart.

I thought ... maybe I have some 'out of date' (but the date code was good) - or contaminated strips - so I ordered a couple of new sets - straight from Spartan. Got them today and rechecked - SAME RESULTS!

I'm concerned - REALLY concerned. The docs say that too much DCA is just as bad as not enough. I KNOW that I should have more than enough DCA4 in the system, but the test stips say otherwise.

Is this a common problem?? I guess my only other possibility is to take it to the local (60 miles away) Cummins place and have it checked "professionally" ?? I REALLY don't want to end up causing problems with this mother diesel engine...

Steve

Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
SteveD welcome to irv2
If you mix coolant with water 50/50 I would think you would be ok. I will short cut your question down to the Road Master forum maybe you can get the answer your seeking.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've read elsewhere that the test strips will not give a correct reading under certain conditions, due to the presence of something else. Can't recall details or where I saw that - may have been one of the Freightliner chassis groups, either here or on Yahoo FCCC group.

You might use Find to search for other messages concerning coolant, test strips, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a while talking with Spartan, Cummins and then Fleetguard yesterday. The bottom line is that I appear to have miscalculated the required DCA4 for my system and it really IS as low as the strip indicates. I added another bottle yesterday and plan to add yet another before my next trip. Not sure what my head was thinking, but it's pretty easy to figure out what you need - multiply total gallons in system by 2 = # of units of DCA4 required. I was about 10 short, I think.

I'll know for sure after my next trip this weekend.
Steve
Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I ran into the same issue with trying to figure out how much DCA4 to add to raise the SCA to a specific level from a maintenance perspective. Not much documentation around explaining how much to add to increase. Took me awhile to figure out that units contained in the bottle meant units per gallon.

USCA = (DSCA - CSCA) X CCap
>
> USCA Number of SCA (DCA4) units required
> DSCA Desired SCA
> CSCA Current SCA
> CCap Cooling system capacity in gallons

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #7

The previous owner of our Monaco said that the coolant filter contained the additive... Something about putting on a new filter when the SCA got low. I've got the strips and will check the reading. I've also got a spare coolant filter.

Does this seem right???

Thanks, newbie here...
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:52 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I am not sure if the 94 Cummins 8.3 had the coolant filters but I do know that my 99 Cummins does. The filter has a the additive that disolves as the coolant is filtered. With the new engine you only need to change filters and coolant/water mixture when needed.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #9

My '94 DOES have a coolant filter and it DOES contain 'some' DCA4. However, not ALL coolant filters do, and there are different amounts in different filters. Be sure to get the one you need. I think they are available in various numbers from 1 unit up to as high as 12 units - but they are all intended for maintenance levels only. There is never enough DCA to handle a full coolant change. The recommendation is to check your DCA concentration at each oil change and then change the coolant filter to match the amount of DCA needed. I've heard conflicting stories, but according to Fleetguard, the filter does NOT "gradually release" the DCA - it just immediately feeds it into the coolant system. I suppose it does take a few minutes, but it won't be weeks or months as I previously thought.
Steve
Old 11-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #10

Steve, just one other thought. Are you sampling the coolant from the petcock or the overflow bottle? The overflow will give an incorrect reading so you must drain a few ounces from the petcock for testing. I'm sure you know this, but thought I would mention it.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #11

Thanks Norm, Yes, I'm aware of that. I also just noticed that I never posted a follow up of my issue (I was responding to Les' question above).
In my case, I finally discovered that I had 3 (yes THREE!) sets of defective test strips - bought from different places (2 at one time, one at another). I went to a local Cummins shop and their first test indicated same as mine. They then looked at their bottle and noted IT was expired (all of mine were in date). They opened a fresh bottle and retested and finally found a proper indication. I went up front to their parts dept and bought a 4th set of strips and retested myself and got a proper indication (it was still low in DCA). When I got home, I added another 2 bottles of DCA and **FINALLY**, after about 4 months of trying, got a proper indication of the proper DCA concentration in my engine .
Steve