RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #1

Really harsh ride, what can I do

I have a 2005 Monaco Knight and have been trying to get a decent ride since I bought this rig in 07. I have put new Bilstine shocks on the coach, made sure tire presure is correct for the weight, had the ride height change in the front to 7.5 " versus the stock 8". I am currently looking at the "Ride Enhancemen" kit that "Source Engineering has developed. I would like to have any and all opinions on this "Kit" or other solutions to getting away from the bone jarring ride that I have at present.

Thanks for your input.

Butch Getman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

I don't have that unit but I lowered my tire pressure 5 psi
And figured as the tires warmed up the pressure would be close to correct. Seems to work for me .

ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej1144 View Post
I don't have that unit but I lowered my tire pressure 5 psi
And figured as the tires warmed up the pressure would be close to correct. Seems to work for me .
Itís 5psi low, period.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBurt View Post
Itís 5psi low, period.
Its called expansion my friend

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #5

Ready for some more high-school physics? Remember that tire pressure will increase as the outside air temperature rises. In fact, tire pressure will go up approximately one pound for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit. So, tires that were at 35 PSI back in January when you drove to the slopes could easily be closing in on 45 pounds on a hot July day at the beach. Under some conditions that increase in pressure is enough to blow the tire! If nothing else, a tire that's overinflated will wear prematurely and will cause the car to handle and brake poorly. Don't count on your electronic tire pressure monitoring system to alert you to an overinflated tire, either ó the warning light will only get illuminated when a tireís air pressure is too low, not too high.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Butch....Monaco made two basic chassis' the R4R and the RR8R. The R4R was a four air bag chassis with one bag per wheel. It was a terrible riding chassis. I had to double check, but yours was built with the RR8R chassis. That's two air bags per wheel. I had a 2005 Diplomat and mine road very nice.

You may not want to hear this, but the Bilsteins are the wrong shock for that coach. The chassis has always done well/better with the Koni FSD shocks. They will take away a lot of that harsh ride and front end short chatter.

Make sure the tires are set at their minimum with the exception of the fronts. If yours has the Goodyear G670's they need to run 5psi higher than the chat says to prevent "rivering", a wear issue with Goodyears.

If you have another brand of tire, they could also be giving you a harsh ride. One of the best tires for that year and model are the Hankook AH12's. A good quality with a smooth ride.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:30 PM   #7

Thanks for the input so far, has anyone tried the "Source Engineering" ride enhancement products which sometime change out shocks "tuned" shocks for specific rigs?
Butch Getman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:55 AM   #8

I believe the RR4R has trailing arm issues, donít know what chassis you have.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:32 AM   #9

And I thought for sure this would be an F53 chassis discussion.....
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej1144 View Post
Its called expansion my friend

Tires usually fail due to under inflation, due to sidewall flex causing overheating. Cold tire pressures already account for expansion when the tire heats up. There is no legitimate reason to underinflate the tires and it is dangerous to do it.
On my coach, the reccommended cold inflation is 82 psi at GAWR for both axles and the max COLD sidewall pressure is 120 psi. I would only set pressures below the requirement for GAWR if you have 4 corner weights to know the actual loads on your tires.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBurt View Post
It’s 5psi low, period.

Somebody does not understand tire's very well. Hot temp will result in over pressured tires which is not good! That is old school thinking.
All vehicle manufactures have suggested tire pressure's listed on the door pillar sticker that are much lower than the tire "max cold pressure" for best performance and with expansion in mind.
Your best method is to use a tire pressure chart based on your weight and adjust for temperatures and rolling PSI to maintain the recommended PSI, +/- 10% is probably an acceptable PSI range.
An over pressured tire on a hot day will give you a hard ride and wear the center thread out.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Tires usually fail due to under inflation, due to sidewall flex causing overheating. Cold tire pressures already account for expansion when the tire heats up. There is no legitimate reason to underinflate the tires and it is dangerous to do it.
On my coach, the reccommended cold inflation is 82 psi at GAWR for both axles and the max COLD sidewall pressure is 120 psi. I would only set pressures below the requirement for GAWR if you have 4 corner weights to know the actual loads on your tires.
Then I guess I've been extremely lucky the past 4 years
Old 06-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Getman View Post
Thanks for the input so far, has anyone tried the "Source Engineering" ride enhancement products which sometime change out shocks "tuned" shocks for specific rigs?
I recently installed the Souce Engineering REK on my 2008 HR Neptune. Without the REK, the ride was harsh, particularly on California freeways. The coach would shudder with every crack in the road. After installing the REK, the ride is noticeably smoother. No more jarring from road imperfections, and my wife actually falls asleep while I'm driving. Well worth the money.
I installed the kit myself with the help of a friend and his impact wrench.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The Source Engineering kit for the RR8R (REK8 kit) has re-designed sway bars, different Bilstein shocks, and a steering stabilizer. StevenK says his REK kit helped, but that's the R4R chassis and not at all the similar..

Before I spent $$ on that, though, I would first optimize tire preesure for the actual loaded weight, using the tire inflation tables. Excessive tire pressure is a prime cause for harsh ride. Shocks are rarely a cause fr harshness unless you are referring specifically to porpoise/rebound on roads with potholes, RR tracks, etc. That's the only place that shocks come much into play.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote