Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #1

Rear camera

Rear camera comes on when head light switch is turned on. Any insight into this one.
krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There is more than one power source for most all of these systems. First, check power feeding the monitor and for any blown fuses. Also, depending on what make and model you have, they can be turned on constantly by the power button. The trigger signal circuit connected to the head light circuit could be moved to an ignition or constant 12 vdc power source as you may desire. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #3

I noted you said the "rear camera" comes on when you put the headlights on. Does the monitor come on as well? There is a difference, but I wondered how you know the rear camera is on if the monitor does not come on so I expect you are refering to the monitor coming on also but perhaps not?

Did this just start happening without any wiring change?

Does the "camera" turn on with the parking lights or just the headlights?

As noted above, power for the monitor and camera is normally picked up from switched accessory power source turned on by the ignition but yours appears to be getting power from a light circuit. Incorrect wiring is my guess also.

Is the rear monitoring system OEM.supplied?

Do you have a schematic diagram for your coach?

Can you easily trace the wires?
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #4

Yes, I meant the monitor. I stopped by the Oregon Monaco Service center, because I couldn't locate the CB radio power and antenna connectors which were stuffed way up in the dash. The tech located them and cut the wire tie to allow them to be accesible. No, I don't have a wiring schematic for this circuit.

As I noted when the head light switch is turned on power is introduced to the monitor. However I have no control over the camera function. There are 3 cameras feeding to the monitor. The RH, LH, & rear camera. I only receive the rear view feed. This is what has me stumped.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #5

Krf9113

Sounds like you have a Monaco. My suggestion is to get wiring diagram for the camera/monitor system from the manufacturer and go from there. I have a signal tracer, the kind the telco techs use to trace wires. I have used this to find out where wires go in my house, RV's and cars and created my own diagrams if I could not get any factory supplied. You put the signal generating device on one end of the cct and with an induction probe trace the signal routing and connection.

I am certain you have determined it is very unusual to have power to the Monitor/Cameras connected to the headlight circuit. I suspect improper wiring on this.

The camera (s) may or may not be connected to that same power source. Normally side cameras or at least the monitor display is switched when the signal light is selected.

Perhaps others who have the same coach might be able to provide diagrams or input, I had 2 Monacos and my video system was powered from the accessory circuit. Do not have a Monaco now so I can't provide help by checking mine. Never had a problem so I did not work on that video system.

But having a schmatic and doing signal tracing is most likely what is needed.

Good luck
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
is this a new coach or a new to you coach that someone before you may have made some 'adjustments' on ?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

It's used. However, I've owned it for 3 years. The issue just occured. Until recently it has never been a problem.

I'm wondering if something isn't loose and a signal is being introduced to the circuit
Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be sure to check for a good ground for the system. I have seen circuits find a path through other apparatuses. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some monitors when in the OFF configuration turn on when placed in reverse. This occurs when the back-up lights are energized. Sounds like some one mis-wired the auto ON function to the headlights vice the back-up lights. You probably never noticed this if you run with the monitor as a rear view mirror since everything is always on. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote