Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
WOW -
the worst thing about it is that you will probably never be able to sleep soundly in another one....
I know that happened to me when we had a blowout...I now EXPECT it every mile....

So glad you woke up and got outta there...

To Everyone...
take the time to periodically open EVERY Cabinet, EVERY door, and video everything just for this reason...

If you had to could you possibly know what all is in there ?!?

good luck on your new phateon - brother in law and sisters 08 is STUNNING !!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am so relieved that no one was injured. I know that we can all say how awful we feel-but they are just words unless we have been in your shoes. I am happy ( for me and sorry for your family) to say that I have not gone through that experience.
We are in the middle of changing out the old Norcold fridge and replacing it with an LG 10 cu. ft fridge due to all we have heard and read from rv forums.
Good luck to you may you not have to face an army of lawyers.
Damon Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Did your smoke detector not go off? All RVs should have at least two smoke alarms thar are combo ioizination/photo cell type or at least one of each. One detects slow low temp smoke producing fires, the other detects more rapid flaming fires. have an escape plan and PRACTICE it! Can you really get out of that escape window? You should try it some time. Better yet try it at night when is dark. Also keep a 10lb ABC type fire extingusher in your bedroom in case you have to fight your way out. If you never have dicharged a fire extingusher get training or at least train yourself by Pulling the Pin, Aim at the base of the fire and Sweep Side to side - P.A.S.S
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
So much for the recall fix. I wonder why it didn't shut down when the temp got too high?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad y'all are OK. That's the exact reason when my quit because it started to leak (it did shut down) I replaced it with a residential. Wish I had done it years sooner. Sure sleep better and the cold stuff stays cold and the frozen stuff stays frozen.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
First I must say that you are very fortunate to get out alive as a few others have not.

Second, there is a Class-Action suit against Norcold which you need to notify the attorneys of your incident as they are the key people who are bringing the judgement to the court and to peoples attention.

See http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norco...it-145913.html

Third, when you go to replace the coach once the insurance company settles, make sure that your new coach has a residential fridge. I changed out to the Samsung RF197 well over one year ago and it has been the BEST decision ever.

And finally, I sure hope that Muddypaws reads this thread. He has been a huge proponent and promoter of the Norcold refrigerators to the point that he doesn't see anything wrong with them and why people are complaining so much about nothing. Yeah right!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #35

Again thanks to the well wishers. The refer was on elect. We did have a smoke alarm but when I discovered the fire there was no smoke yet inside the coach. As the fire progressed the alarm did go off. Next mh will have two smoke detectors and a residential refer.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Glad your all safe and sound its not something anyone needs to experience.
Your thread I believe started this thread in RV Appliances Forum today, has many things to refresh everyone on what to try and look out for with these Norcold problem refrigerators or any of same type fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Again thanks to the well wishers. The refer was on elect. We did have a smoke alarm but when I discovered the fire there was no smoke yet inside the coach. As the fire progressed the alarm did go off. Next mh will have two smoke detectors and a residential refer.
You have our best wishes.

Thanks for the updates ... it's a topic we are all interested in.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Did your smoke detector not go off? All RVs should have at least two smoke alarms thar are combo ioizination/photo cell type or at least one of each. One detects slow low temp smoke producing fires, the other detects more rapid flaming fires. have an escape plan and PRACTICE it! Can you really get out of that escape window? You should try it some time. Better yet try it at night when is dark. Also keep a 10lb ABC type fire extingusher in your bedroom in case you have to fight your way out. If you never have dicharged a fire extingusher get training or at least train yourself by Pulling the Pin, Aim at the base of the fire and Sweep Side to side - P.A.S.S
The Norcold black box fix isn't fail safe by far and for those who haven't had the recall box installed atleast read the above quote and give it serious thought, install another smoke alarm or more and keep another fire extinguisher in the bedroom. It is so sad to hear these stories, something will get done I'm sure in the future, but for now be safe, and take all the precautions you can. I had two blk box failures and went Amish, so glad I did.
Very good points that we all should think about, but often brush aside.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
The Norcold black box fix isn't fail safe by far and for those who haven't had the recall box installed atleast read the above quote and give it serious thought, install another smoke alarm or more and keep another fire extinguisher in the bedroom. It is so sad to hear these stories, something will get done I'm sure in the future, but for now be safe, and take all the precautions you can. I had two blk box failures and went Amish, so glad I did.
Very good points that we all should think about, but often brush aside.
The Black Box Fix is not a "fix". It is a device designed to interrupt the heat sources in the event of a catastrophic error.

from Norcold:

"In the event an abnormally high temperature is detected, all heat source outputs to the cooling unit will be disabled. This condition is non resettable and must be serviced by an authorized service center."

Norcold has not claimed they have fixed any problems that may CAUSE the abnormally high temperature. This is roughly the same as "fixing" a faulty fireplace in your home by placing a bucket of water next to the fireplace in case you need it.

No one will see a "fix" while litigation continues.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very sorry about your fire and very glad to hear everyone is all right. Being caught in a fire is my absolute greatest fear. My Nocold 1200 did not cool well this year, no signs of leaks. But a good excuse for me to have it changed out to a Samsung 197 in 2 weeks.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to read about your refer and your subsequent loss. Glad all survived. We're one of many contemplating changing our Dometic out for a Residential.

Good luck in your resolution with the insurance company and hunting for your replacement rig. We are shopping for MH insurance and hope you post your outcome with yours. TKS.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry to hear about your tragedy. Good it is insured ok and will be replaced. Main thing everyone is ok. You may get another one even nicer than what you had (maybe). Anyone know if this is just a Norcold problem or does Dometic have same issues? I have a Dometic that I run on propane 24/7 and doesn't seem to be an issue.............I hope.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall