Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post

"In the event an abnormally high temperature is detected, all heat source outputs to the cooling unit will be disabled. This condition is non resettable and must be serviced by an authorized service center."

Let me say this about that.

I find it a bit disturbing that first of all the condition has been found to be resettable with a strong magnet. Let's face it...if there is a work around, it will be used.

The second, more disturbing part, is that folks are successfully resetting the recall board on a regular basis without knowing why it activated in the first place. IMHO, that is like knowing you are playing with fire (literally?) and locking away the fire extinguishers.

I understand the inconvenience of a broken refer...been there, done that. I guess in the immortal words of Inspector Harry Callahan, "Do you feel lucky punk?"
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Let me say this about that.

I find it a bit disturbing that first of all the condition has been found to be resettable with a strong magnet. Let's face it...if there is a work around, it will be used.

The second, more disturbing part, is that folks are successfully resetting the recall board on a regular basis without knowing why it activated in the first place. IMHO, that is like knowing you are playing with fire (literally?) and locking away the fire extinguishers.

I understand the inconvenience of a broken refer...been there, done that. I guess in the immortal words of Inspector Harry Callahan, "Do you feel lucky punk?"
Agreed with a caveat ... for those that know they hosed down the box while washing the RV, or know the monsoon caused the fault, a reset by the owner seems acceptable.

What I also find disturbing is that Norcold/installers are apparently building/installing/locating a device that is susceptible to water infiltration, thereby causing a secondary problem. Or, to rephrase:

If the box didn't trigger erroneously, people wouldn't be tempted to reset it.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Did your smoke detector not go off? All RVs should have at least two smoke alarms thar are combo ioizination/photo cell type or at least one of each. One detects slow low temp smoke producing fires, the other detects more rapid flaming fires. have an escape plan and PRACTICE it! Can you really get out of that escape window? You should try it some time. Better yet try it at night when is dark. Also keep a 10lb ABC type fire extingusher in your bedroom in case you have to fight your way out. If you never have dicharged a fire extingusher get training or at least train yourself by Pulling the Pin, Aim at the base of the fire and Sweep Side to side - P.A.S.S
Unless the detector is in the refrigerator compartment it will not give an early warning because the compartment is pretty much sealed and vented to the exterior of the RV which creates a wonderful draft for the fire. By the time your detector goes off your rv is more than likely already a total loss and your life is at risk.

Don't get me wrong as I agree with the Chief about both types of detector. Get them and make sure they work!

I do agree and must say that everyone should absolutely make sure your emergency escape window works and that the other occupants know where and how to use it. The escape windows seem to stick after a while so check it often.

Using an extinguisher to fight your way out may work but I think it is unrealistic to think that you will survive at that point without extreme injury. If you have an extinguisher in your bedroom I would use it to escape by breaking out the window before trying to fight the fire from the interior.

I took the Norcold out because my lungs are compromised after 36+ years of Firefighting. I believe that the fumes from a fire of that type would likely kill me.
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
The Black Box Fix is not a "fix". It is a device designed to interrupt the heat sources in the event of a catastrophic error.

from Norcold:

"In the event an abnormally high temperature is detected, all heat source outputs to the cooling unit will be disabled. This condition is non resettable and must be serviced by an authorized service center."

Norcold has not claimed they have fixed any problems that may CAUSE the abnormally high temperature. This is roughly the same as "fixing" a faulty fireplace in your home by placing a bucket of water next to the fireplace in case you need it.
No one will see a "fix" while litigation continues.
Never said it was a fix as far as a solution but it is what they consider a fix to prevent fires, although they still happen. I do understand and always have understood how it works.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #47
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I feel this is temporary protection until I can get my firebox replaced with something safe.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
Never said it was a fix as far as a solution but it is what they consider a fix to prevent fires, although they still happen. I do understand and always have understood how it works.

They make no such claim. You may fully understand how it works but others may not.

Norcold is very clear in their recall to not refer to it as a "fix" for anything:

"The Norcold, Inc. refrigerators listed below have been recalled.

It is important to implement this safety enhancement to prevent an unsafe elevation in the temperature of the cooling unit should the unit fail in operation. This enhancement seeks to minimize the risk of injury or death due to fire."
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #49

It was all the problems/fires we heard for the last few years that made the decision to get a residential refrigerator a must. But with our last motor home nearing the ten year mark, we decided not to put any more money into it. We were at the point of wanting another motor home as we near retirement.

Getting a residential refrigerator was way up on our list of wants when we replaced our last motor home. We were able to get a residential refrigerator in the 2012 Phaeton we purchased a month ago. So at least one less worry as we move on.
CrossCountryNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #50

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few years ago I replaced the cooling unit on our refer with the Amish unit. Probably should have gone to a residential type unit though. Now the door gaskets are going bad but I'm not going to bother with replacing them. I'll just get a whole new apartment size residential refer and rewire to run off the inverter.
Unless we trade for a new RV that is!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Did your smoke detector not go off? All RVs should have at least two smoke alarms thar are combo ioizination/photo cell type or at least one of each. One detects slow low temp smoke producing fires, the other detects more rapid flaming fires. have an escape plan and PRACTICE it! Can you really get out of that escape window? You should try it some time. Better yet try it at night when is dark. Also keep a 10lb ABC type fire extingusher in your bedroom in case you have to fight your way out. If you never have dicharged a fire extingusher get training or at least train yourself by Pulling the Pin, Aim at the base of the fire and Sweep Side to side - P.A.S.S
I added another Smoke Detector in the space behind the rear of the Norcold. Screwed it to a small stick and pushed it as high up as I could get it next to the coils. Cost me a whole $10 and about 30 mins to figure out. Now I have a little piece of mind until a new Samsung gets installed in the next month or so.

[moderator edit]
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #52

In 25 years in fire service I worked four motor coach fires and when it got to the fuel or LP lines and the heat reached the point of no return You could not put it out with anything less than AFFF fuel foam, or Halon.

I watched neighboring dept put 500 gal water on a lp line fed fire in a winnebago from a blow tire and when the water was gone they just sat and watched it burn while wating for more water. Scraped the mess up with a bobcat and put it in roll off box and hauled frame away. Eight people going to yellowstone were very lucky to get out on the side of the freeway and not get injured.

Like many others I put a freestanding smoke detector in the eng compartment and the back of the refer. I hit the test button and you can hear it in the coach. You do have to clean the one in the eng compartment as it gets a little grimey on the things we call hy in the usa..

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
In 25 years in fire service I worked four motor coach fires and when it got to the fuel or LP lines and the heat reached the point of no return You could not put it out with anything less than AFFF fuel foam, or Halon.

I watched neighboring dept put 500 gal water on a lp line fed fire in a winnebago from a blow tire and when the water was gone they just sat and watched it burn while wating for more water. Scraped the mess up with a bobcat and put it in roll off box and hauled frame away. Eight people going to yellowstone were very lucky to get out on the side of the freeway and not get injured.

Like many others I put a freestanding smoke detector in the eng compartment and the back of the refer. I hit the test button and you can hear it in the coach. You do have to clean the one in the eng compartment as it gets a little grimey on the things we call hy in the usa..

you can count on the next motorhome being a little different. If I had a ladder and better water supply and more help and daylight ; I probably could have put a stop on it. As it was I had no way to get at it once it got into the ceiling and that was quick. Oh yea ; one other obstacle , I'm old and fat
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post

Here is what I chose to install for fire protection in my coach.

I had one Halon SS-30 in the rear of the NotSoCold 1200. When the Samsung fridge was installed, I moved the Halon tank to the Inverter/Transfer Switch compartment which is behind the Aqua-Hot System accessible from the other side. I have another Halon SS-30 installed at the Aqua-Hot unit.

I have a SS-200 AFFF with a remote head in my engine compartment. There will be another SS-200 AFFF in my generator compartment once I get back to Florida.

I have a smoke alarm in the FRB and RRB electrical compartments. I want to install one in the battery compartment also.

That's for the outside.

Inside I have a 2 lb Cold Fire portable tank at the front door, a small Cold Fire portable tank in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. I also have one of those in my car.

Having a fire in R HOME is what I fear the most so I have no problems in spending the money that I have so far for the fire protection that is now installed. I hope and pray that I NEVER have to use ANY of them and it will be money well spent similar to buying insurance.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #55

I wonder why everyone seems to be putting smoke detectors in the refrigerator compartment.
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #56

one thing that just dawned on me ; airplanes have detectors everywhere so why not rvs. Just makes sense

Tags
recall