Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

recall done; phaeton burned

This past fri at 130 am I heard popping coming from the mid area of our phaeton. I got up and saw flickering threw a seam next to the refer. I ran outside and the back of the refer was on fire. I ran back in and grabbed my dog , wallet and checkbook and through them in my car. I know how fast these things can progress.
I then ran and grabbed my extinguisher and dumped it on the flames ; in the area of the heat tube. The fire kept reflashing so I pulled out a bunch of wires thinking it was being fed by electricity but it was up in the ceiling by then. I banged on the door of the camper next to me and grabbed the water hose to douse the flames. The neighbor was assisting and during this mess I called 911 to report it. We couldnt get at it as the fibreglass was burning hot and into the ceiling and interior. This continued until fire dept showed up and by then completely burned up.
We are sick over this as we were totally enamored with this 07 tiffin phaeton 40ft.
I was a firefighter for 30 yrs and never even leave things plugged in but this has put a wuppin on me. Its totally insured but I am shaken. Even losing my house in hurricane andrew didnt bother me this much.
Anyway I thought you all should know. My wife is really upset as this was her dream mh. Oh well ; gotta move on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what it would be like to have that happen. I hope I never find out. Thank goodness no one was hurt, and you're fully insured. Knowledge is power! Let us know everything you can about this incident. What make and model fridge was it?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

Ouch, glad your OK and hope the DW can come around to accepting the loss soon.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what it would be like to have that happen. I hope I never find out. Thank goodness no one was hurt, and you're fully insured. Knowledge is power! Let us know everything you can about this incident. What make and model fridge was it?
It was the norcold 1210
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

Very sorry for your loss. Work through the insurance process, then go over to the tiffinrvnetwork classifieds and find yourself another nice Phaeton. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for the loss but you are OK!!

That's the silver lining.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank goodness you & your family are ok & you were insured. This has to be devastating. Please keep us informed on your claim.

If I wasn't an Admin or had Community Rules to follow, there'd be some choice words I'd like to use regarding the Norcold company & their so called "recall fix". Ever mounting proof we need to get these things out of our RV's.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Was it running on propane or electric ???
Thank God you guys are OK.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #9

Good that you made it out. Bad that it happened. Hopefully everything can be replaced again with minimum of time and pain. Just goes to show you that fire is serious even for the pros who know how to deal with it. I'm guessing a residential fridge may be gracing your next rig?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for your loss , but remember, It is only STUFF!! You and yours walked away unscathed, Thank God and move on.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
What is with these or cold units?!! Seems like a theme with units that have caught fire. We don't have a norcold but if I did it would be out the door. Glad you and yours are OK.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry about your loss. Glad that you didn't get hurt. Remember it's only a material thing that can be replaced.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So sorry for what happened but glad everyone got out OK. I can relate as I watched our friends motorhome have the same thing happen to it last winter when we were in FL. Theirs was a Norcold refer but there was NO recall on the unit. Luckily the wife was sitting in the living area when she heard the same thing, "popping". You are correct in saying it doesn't take long to lose the moho once it starts. I believe theirs was totally gone within 10 minutes. Hopefully your insurance will take care of everything and get you back up and running. Best Wishes to you.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #14

Every time a read of a coach burning due to fridge fire I am all the more happy I went through all the work to replace my norcold even though it was working fine. I'm sure there are many who feel it just won't happen to them. Its not worth the risk keeping a norcold in your rig. But again, glad no one was hurt.

Tags
recall