Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #1

Recharging cab AC unit

OK, maybe I should not have done this… based on the forum comments. Last year our MH cab AC was blowing air at 75 degrees, or maybe even warmer. Summer is here and it is doing that again. We are using it this week so I wanted cooler air than that. I bought a can of 134a leak sealer. I had the reusable dispenser from last time. I found the low side (a blue cap just like the dispenser connection) and connected the dispenser. I was careful not to turn the can upside down but did shake it… same as last time. The gauge on the dispenser measured about 10 psi or less before starting. I had already started putting in refrigerant/sealer before thinking to check this. I put the entire can in and the psi came up to about 20+ psi when the compressor was not running ( I am guessing on this) and would move up to about 37 psi when on. This cycle occurred maybe every 15 seconds… I did not time it. Anyway, the AC is now blowing air at about 68 degrees.

The gauge on the dispenser has an arrow to point to the outside temperature and then a range that the psi should be in when charged. I barely got it to the minimum psi when the can was empty. My question is if it needs another can of regular 134? I am assuming a leak and this might or might not fix it but we are leaving tomorrow and I do not have time to take it somewhere.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put 2 cans of 134 into my '03 Dodge pick-up. And, I put 1 can into my '07 Damon (Workhorse W24). They work GREAT now. Just be careful to not over pressurize the system.

I think this stuff just leaks out of the pores of the system over time more than the old stuff...you might not have an actual leak.

As a side note: The instructions on my charging kit said to put the AirCon on MAX with the blower on high, so it doesn't stop running the compressor during the fill.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The only safe and accurate way to recharge an A/C system is to hook up a set of manifold gauges that reads high and low pressures. The single gauge fill from a can system is a sure way to overcharge the system, reduce efficiency or blow a hose or seal.
Many poorly performing A/C systems are a result of the heater not being shut off completely. Check by feeling both heater hoses where they enter the plenum or heater core. If coolant is not flowing through them, they should be cool to the touch. Many install a simple ball valve in the heater hose to shut off in summer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging