Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
These recharging kits seem to explain the way to do it quite well only nothing is said about whether you should turn the can over which I know puts liquid into the system instead of gas. I have heard it suggested both ways. Which is proper?

Also, what should the temp be measured at the outlet with a probe type gauge, with a properly charged system?

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
These recharging kits seem to explain the way to do it quite well only nothing is said about whether you should turn the can over which I know puts liquid into the system instead of gas. I have heard it suggested both ways. Which is proper?

Also, what should the temp be measured at the outlet with a probe type gauge, with a properly charged system?

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by al koffman:

Also, what should the temp be measured at the outlet with a probe type gauge, with a properly charged system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought one of the kits last year and when installing the Freon, I kept the can upright and would occasionally give it a shake to mix the contents. Remember to turn the AC on MAX and the fan on high when doing this. The probe gauge that I had inserted showed between 40-45 degrees F from the vents when done. Bottomline is the OEM dash AC is only good for cooling the immediate area and when run on MaxAir mode. Use the Gennie!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #4

Hi Tim,

The reason the can should be kept upright is that because in that position it dispenses a gas. When inverted, the can dispenses liquid refrigerant. In reality it depends on how close your suction line is to the compressor. If, as in my diesel pusher, it is 35' back, no problem to invert the can. That is because that in that amount of travel through the hose the liquid turns to a gas anyway. The reason that you do not want to send liquid refrigerant to the compressor is because a liquid does not compress and you will damage your compressor. It is just safer and slower to give it gas. When the compressor compresses the gas, it becomes a liquid until it goes through the system again and the cycle repeats itself. Look at all the hose connections, high and low, to see if you have any oily deposits there. You might need to add oil as it is carried in the gas charge and if low, can crater your compressor. A properly working A/C system should not need recharging. To accurately charge an R-134a system you must have manifold gauges. Yes, you can do it by hit and miss but even a slight under or overcharge can make your cooling go to nothing. As for the proper vent temperature, it (and pressure readings) depends on the ambient temperature. At 75 degrees ambient, a 40 to 45-degree vent temp would be in the ballpark.

Happy travels,
sparetire

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted March 11, 2008 03:24 PM
These recharging kits seem to explain the way to do it quite well only nothing is said about whether you should turn the can over which I know puts liquid into the system instead of </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The kits that you buy in Wal-mart are for inserting the freon into the low side of the system. This is the liquid side. For those of you who might have the normal gauge set, you have the red and blue hose and gauges. The blue hose connects to the low side and provides you with the suction on the system, the red side is the high side and will show you the pressure in the system when charged.

When you get the one pound tank and gauge from walmart, it can only be connected to the low or blue side. As mentioned before have the air on at max and blower on high. Follow the instructions for getting the tank to work, with the valve backed all the way out, screw the tank on. Now screw the valve all the way in, in doing so it will puncture the opening. With it screwed all the way in, there is no flow. Now turn the tank upside down and slowly open the valve and watch the gauge. As freon flows in the needle will rise to it gets into the green area. Close the valve and wait for the system to settle down and see what the gauge does. If it drops, add some more. Most of the time I have found it takes 2 tanks to get the system up and running.

When buying from walmart look for the tanks that say they have a sealant inside. This will help seal any pin hole leaks in fittings and hoses.

I have a small leak at a compressed coupling near the engine, one of these days I'll get it replaced, but until then I can usually go most of the summer with maybe one or two recharges to the system. If you continue to have problems, have a qualified A/C repairmen look at the system. I would also invest in a set of gauges so I can watch both the low and high side.

One time I recharged the system and the fan wouldn't come on. I then put the gauges on and found it was just a bit low so added maybe 1/4 to 1/2 pound and that brought up the high side so the fan would run. Best investment I ever made. Good luck.

Jim
RV Tech Ret.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought our RV in January and it took a couple of months to find out that our dash air didn't work. We took it back and the dealer recharged it for free. A few months later, he did it again but with a $300 bill. Another service call for $400 a year later and the dash A/C failed yet again afterwards. When I tried to schedule a 4th appointment, I made the mistake of fussing about the frequent failures and the lack of A/C. The dealer made another appointment for me several months out, didn't keep it and never called me back to reschedule. I realized then that I was better off on my own.

I invested about $60 in a set of gauges and another $40 in a leak detection kit (with dye). The dealer used a sniffer and told me that he couldn't find a leak in the system. I put a couple of cans of 134 in along with a can of dye and found the leak within a couple of days. It was the coupler on the high side of the compressor. The hose really needs to be replaced but I've tightened it down a couple of times and recharged it afterwards and the system works just fine. One of these days, I'll buy a vacuum pump, replace the hose and do the job right. Until then, a can or so of 134 (at about $9 each) keeps the system working and me out of a confrontation with the dealer.

I had no previous experience with dash air systems and learned what the other posters have suggested about how to add refrigerant on the MH. When our daughter's Honda dash air failed, I was able to use what I'd learned (and a borrowed vacuum pump) and fix that, too. To my way of thinking, my $100 investment in gauges and the leak detection light and glasses was money very well spent. I'd easily be more than triple that amount in another service call for the A/C with the dealer.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:27 AM   #7

The High pressure side is liquid; the Low pressure side is Suction, also known as the Gas side.

sparetire

Renegades [quote] The kits that you buy in Wal-mart are for inserting the freon into the low side of the system. This is the liquid side.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is some good information here, but some of it is not correct.

The suction side of the compressor is the low pressure and vapor side of the system. The refrigerant leaving the compressor is high pressure vapor until it reaches the condenser wher it is condenser and becomes high pressure liquid. The high pressure liquid is expanded to a low pressure liquid-vapor mixture and fed to the evaporator via an expansion valve. The liquid in the evaporator is changed to vapor as it cools the evaporator and the vapor is pulled to the suction of the compressor to begin the trip again.

Handling and servicing an A/C system can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. By connecting to the wrong place on the system, you can have a refrigerant can explode in your face of get a face full of refrigerant and oil.

I have been in the refrigertion business for close to 40 years now and have seen all kinds of good and bad service technicians and shade tree mechanics. If you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, you need to get professional help before you injure someone or the equipment.

Ken