Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recommendations For RV Tires In Tucson

Any recommendations for new RV tires, mounting and balancing in Tucson, AZ? For a 2008 class A, aluminum rims, 245/70 R 19.5, currently have 6 year old Michelin XRVs mounted, about 18,000 miles on them.

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Find the nearest Les Schwab tire dealer to you.

We have Toyos on ours, great tires and much cheaper.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Since you are in Tucson, also check out Discount Tire. they have several locations in the Tucson area and in Washington State. I've always had good prices and service there and won't go anywhere else. They also have an optional road hazard warranty that is iron clad.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok
Find the nearest Les Schwab tire dealer to you.

We have Toyos on ours, great tires and much cheaper.

Barb
Les schwab has no stores in Arizona, (as per their web pages anyway). Thanks for the recommendation though.

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...
Since you are in Tucson, also check out Discount Tire. they have several locations in the Tucson area and in Washington State. I've always had good prices and service there and won't go anywhere else. They also have an optional road hazard warranty that is iron clad.
I use Discount Tire for our cars, but did not get the impression they dealt with motor homes and such. I will check them out too. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 03-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to 45acp
Try "Jack Furrier's Western Tire & Auto Care - 3645 S Palo Verde". The auto tire store is up front by the street and the Truck/RV tire center is on the North side in the back of the building. They service big rigs and RV's and seem to be fair but you need to do the pricing. You can also try Costco and Sam's Club but they will order them in and send you to some else to install the tires. Bill
Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp
Try "Jack Furrier's Western Tire & Auto Care - 3645 S Palo Verde". The auto tire store is up front by the street and the Truck/RV tire center is on the North side in the back of the building. They service big rigs and RV's and seem to be fair but you need to do the pricing. You can also try Costco and Sam's Club but they will order them in and send you to some else to install the tires. Bill
Thanks, have a quote from them and they are on my 'A' list....

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...
I contacted Discount Tire and they do not deal with anything as large as 19.5s... They 'may' be able to order them but that is all they could possibly do. I would prefer to work a business that would mount and balance them (as well as check and adjust alignment ofthe motor home if necessary).

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GCR tire on Romero road Used them before They handle and do large vehicles all the time.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
GCR tire on Romero road Used them before They handle and do large vehicles all the time.
Thanks for the recommendation. I had gotten GCR's name as a recommendation from the service department of the Tucson La Mesa RV too. GCR's recommendations, price and response to my RFQ put them at the top of the list and I'll be going there for new Hankook tires, mounting, balancing and alignment.

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I had gotten GCR's name as a recommendation from the service department of the Tucson La Mesa RV too. GCR's recommendations, price and response to my RFQ put them at the top of the list and I'll be going there for new Hankook tires, mounting, balancing and alignment.
Did you get the tires from them and if so may I ask the price out the door?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
Did you get the tires from them and if so may I ask the price out the door?
No, in the end I opted to drive back to WA to have them replaced in the same town as my prefer service center (for realignment and such if necessary) as I prefer to use the same RV service center for alignment and chassis work. GCR's price was $2,382.92 (Hankook Tires, Valve Stems, Balance, Alignment, Enviro, Waste, tax, Etc.). One note, our tire size is 245/70R19.5, so you might want to keep that in mind if you are using the prices I got to compare to something else.

As it is I will plan to purchase Toyo tires out of a Les Schwab which is just down the road from where I have my RV serviced in WA, ($2,846.90). Then I can drive my motor home directly to my preferred service center for alignment and chassis checks.

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Toyo Tires

What kind of mileage can you expect from a set of Toyo's?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock481
What kind of mileage can you expect from a set of Toyo's?
For mental health reasons I've never made mileage one of the things I keep track of. I don't believe, (at least in my case), that the ROI on tire brand, Banks-like systems, air tabs, (which I have, but for handling purposes), and things that promote better mileage is there. Again, at least in my case. As far as motor homes go, the one we own right now gets pretty good milage, but only comparatively speaking. At one time we got 8ish on average and as high as 10ish if the stars and planets all aligned just right. The Toyo tires are about $100 per tire less than the OEM Michelin XRVs and may not have the tread wear life in miles, but the Toyos have more plys and at the miles we put on the motor home per year the Toyo tread will last longer than the safe life of the tire itself. Our next motor home will probably get even worse mileage and be more expensive to operate due to fuel costs and such rising too, but we will keep on keeping on.... Gasoline is still less per gallon than most bottled water...

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S