Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #1

I am a newbie, I recently bought our first Class A, a 1999 Trailstar tracker, by Fleetwood(bacially a flair or similar).
I have been reading all the threads on tire pressure and now I am even more confused than ever. On the sticker by the drivers seat is says to run 65 psi, compared to everything I have read here and on the sidewall of the michelin's that seems low, plus they look low at that pressure. Right now it is empty but I plan to tow a 3500# boat, any pressure reccomendations? what about pressure in the Airbags? It's a chev chassis with a 454

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #2

I am a newbie, I recently bought our first Class A, a 1999 Trailstar tracker, by Fleetwood(bacially a flair or similar).
I have been reading all the threads on tire pressure and now I am even more confused than ever. On the sticker by the drivers seat is says to run 65 psi, compared to everything I have read here and on the sidewall of the michelin's that seems low, plus they look low at that pressure. Right now it is empty but I plan to tow a 3500# boat, any pressure reccomendations? what about pressure in the Airbags? It's a chev chassis with a 454

Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #3

zeddy,it is best to weight your motorhome and then put in the right amount of air for the weight of the class a. There are charts for this.I don't have mine handy so maybe someone else with this information will chime in.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Zeddy,

Here is the link for RV tire pressures from Goodyear:

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

Make sure you check out your dates as well:

http://www.dickmantires.com/RV/rv_tire_age.html

I will change mine at around 7 years, not 5.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #5

Zeddy,
Welcome to irv2
The only sure way to set your air pressure is to weigh your rig fully loaded and look up the correct setting on the charts on the Michelin website, then add 5 to 10 pounds more for safety sake Untill then use the setting listed on your sticker. The pressure listed on the tire sidewall is the MAXIMUM pressure to carry the MAXIMUM load the tire is rated for. There is a lot of good information on that Michelin website, browse through it and you will be better informed than the average person! What size is your motorhome? I'm guessing that it is a small one since they are only calling for 65 psi. Our 32' calls for 85psi.
First thing I would do is check the DOT code on your tire sidewall to see how old the tires are. This code is stamped on only one side of the tire, so it may be on the inside where it is hard to read. The last four numbers tell what week [the first 2] and what year [the last 2 numbers] the tire was made. If there is only three numbers then the tire was made before 2000 and should be replaced. Maximum tire life is 7 years, but a lot of people replace them at 5 year intervals.
As to the air bags; the best thing is to replace the front springs with some heavy duty ones and junk the bags. But for now here is the settings Chevy recommends: From the Chevrolet Motorhome chassis service guide, 40 - 50 psi for the 4300 lb axle, 50 psi for the 5000 lb axle, 80 - 90 for the 5500 lb suspension. When we had the air bags we carried 90-95 psi in them.
Hope this answers some of your questions,
Loren
Old 02-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #6

Thanks that helps, Its a 30ft I think the max weight is about 22,500. I read the info on the michelin site and I was looking at the max weights for each axle and the reccomended weight seems too low. Like you said I'll have to load it up and hit the scales
Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #7

Zeddy,
Is that 22,500 the gross or the gross combined vehicle weight? Do you have a Chevy or a Workhorse chassis? I think 1999 was about the time when Workhorse bought the Chevy motorhome chassis business. That 22,500 sounds pretty high for a 30 footer, our 1997 32' has a 16,500 GVW.
What is your axle weights listed on the sticker next to the driver's seat?
Loren
Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #8

sorry your right that is the combined weight, the gross is 16500. I don't have it at home right now. I dropped it off at the dealer to fix the roof, somebody had caulked the roof with something other than dicor and it got hard and cracked so they are going to strip it and recaulk with dicor, then I will have a proper base I can maintain it myself. I didn't want to screw it up.
It was hard driving down to the dealer, everytime I get in it I just want to take off.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Zeddy, be sure to check the maximum air pressure rating on the wheels as well as using the manufactures' pressure chart for the size & model of tire you have on the coach. Is the tire size on the coach the same as is on the data tag in the coach? Good luck and let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I learned from experience the importance of getting a proper, fully loaded, weight in order to determine the correct tire pressure.

On my maiden voyage, I hadn't yet gotten the coach weighed so I inflated all tires to what was stamped on the sidewalls. This was the maximum rated pressure of 110 lbs for my coach.

The ride was so rough and loud that I was afraid I had made a mistake in purchasing this new coach.

Once I got a proper weight and cross referenced to the Michilen web site charts for my tires, I was able to lower all pressures to 90lbs.

What a diffenence!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
A lot of good info an recommendations here...in the meanwhile, you won't go wrong with 80psi all around, including the air bags if you have a P32 chassis...
I'd rather have a stiffer ride, save some gas, and the tires themselves, than to even come close to being overloaded and you won't have to be concerned if they lose a few pounds.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #12

I just checked the sticker
the max weight for the front axle is 5500lbs and the rear is 11000lbs. In the gm manual it says to run the air bags at 90psi.
I cannot find a gross combined weight or max trailer weight rating, nor any markings on my hitch for capacity.
The only recomended tire pressure is 65psi on the sticker from the fleetwood, but they really look flat! The tires are michelin xze
thx
zeddy
Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #13

As previously stated, I would definitely pump them up to 80 psi till you get the mh weighed. 65 psi is too low. I had a 14,800 p32 and ran them at 85 fully loaded. Never had a tire problem.
zigzagrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #14

Thats what I will do before it rolls out of the driveway!