Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Refer Mods

This may or may not be important for some of the RVers as they don't use they refrigerators like us that fulltime.

Because RV refrigerators are not frost free and cool via convection I decided to add a small fan to the inside of the box. You can pick these up of EBay for about $20 including S/H.

I decided that as long as I was adding a fan to the inside I should one to the outside. Looking around in my spare parts boxes I found a 12 volt muffin fan for an old PC and a lighted switch. Put the 2 together, add some wire, some plastic spools, a few screws and you have a fan to help move air over the cooling coils.

Does it help... I will let you know in couple of weeks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dale, the outside fan will be more important in hot weather but you will want to turn it off when it cools down at night. The best way would be to install a thermal disc that will turn it on and off automatically.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Dale, the outside fan will be more important in hot weather but you will want to turn it off when it cools down at night. The best way would be to install a thermal disc that will turn it on and off automatically.
Agreed... just need to find one and mount it.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #4

I did something similar to my old 5th wheel frig. It does help on the inside
Old 07-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
This may or may not be important for some of the RVers as they don't use they refrigerators like us that fulltime.

Because RV refrigerators are not frost free and cool via convection I decided to add a small fan to the inside of the box. You can pick these up of EBay for about $20 including S/H.

I decided that as long as I was adding a fan to the inside I should one to the outside. Looking around in my spare parts boxes I found a 12 volt muffin fan for an old PC and a lighted switch. Put the 2 together, add some wire, some plastic spools, a few screws and you have a fan to help move air over the cooling coils.

Does it help... I will let you know in couple of weeks.

================================================== ================
FYI-- you can get the same fan as you have on your fins for $4 at //http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150005

I have a fan inside the refer and also one to exhaust the hot air in the flue-- they do help
Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #6

Yep... good find. Newegg also has case fans for $3
Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dale:
I recently purchased the same fan at E-Bay. When I wire the + wire to the rear bulb terminal, it runs with the fridge on and door closed and will turn off when the door is open. When the fridge is off and the door is open or closed, the fan runs constantly, unless per instructions, you unhook the gator clip. Would you know how to wire so:
1. When the fridge is off the fans would also be off without having to unhook the gator clip?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #8

We're full timers and boondock in the desert most of the year. I will be adding a fan outside to blow over the cooling fins.

Out of curiosity, why would I want to shut it off at night? Other than the obvious minor load on the batteris, what harm would it do to leave it on?

Where we boondock the night temps rarely get below 80F.

Thanks.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #9

JC2,

You need to find a constant 12 volts... On my refer it is the lead tp the switch. So, mine runs all the time. The only time it will be off is when I turn off the refer.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #10

Tincup,

It really depends on the temps on the back of the refer or the exit temps. Runnning it 24x7 shouldn't hurt.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
JC2,

You need to find a constant 12 volts... On my refer it is the lead tp the switch. So, mine runs all the time. The only time it will be off is when I turn off the refer.

I'll see if I can finger it out. BTW, are you going to the Boomers Labor Day Bash in Burleson from 9/4-9/7? If you are bring some speed bleeders that will work on my 05 Winnie Voyage W20 and maybe we can talk $$$. Sorry everyone.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
That part of my RV refrigerator never frost or freezes up. On the occasion it has. I just set the control one click down for a short time and that takes care of the problem.

It is the freezer compartment that gets frost on mine and only way I fix that is to defrost it.

Will that fan stop the frost in the freezer compartment?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #13

JC2,

Yes, I plan to be at Burleson.

Triker56,

I don't think so.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #14

Well after a few weeks of testing I have come to the conclusion that they work the best as a pair. The inside one does tend to get the colder air to the lower levels. But, the best part was that it actually remove the frost off the cooling fins over a period of days. The outside fan just keeps the air moving over the coils. But, in 105 degree Texas heat anything is blessing.

Bottom line - It is a worth while mod.